ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

duffy1867
European Union

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by duffy1867 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:39 am

They wanted my fathers marriage certificate to my mother, and my marriage certificate to my wife.

As I'm claiming through my Father (born outside Ireland to an Irish born parent) and in turn my paternal grandmother (born in Ireland) I'd included my grandmothers marriage certificate to my grandfather which shows the change of name and supports the name on my father birth certificate. As I was claiming through my father and so there's no issue with name change I hadn't thought to include his marriage certificate to my Mum and I didn't think to include my own marriage certificate as I didn't think it was relevant.

They arrived at Balbriggan yesterday, so hoping it won't take too much longer now!
Thanks a lot - I understand your logic here and it sounds like our applications are very similar. It's certainly the 'if relevant' wording that is throwing folks off.

I just checked my own to see if they would know that I am not married (and hence, no need to check my certificate) and thankfully there is a box for 'single' on the original application form.

Good luck - hope it comes through soon

Cheers

Kl3355
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Kl3355 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:57 pm

Hi all,

Just wanted to give an update!

Documents accepted by Ireland: 10-Oct-2019
Address check email: 26-Jan-2022

Will continue to update the Google excel with the other dates!

duffy1867
European Union

Post by duffy1867 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:41 pm

Just spotted on the DFA Website today - I know this has been discussed before on here, but don't remember it ever being confirmed officially

https://www.dfa.ie/passports/updates/

Of relevance & interesting for us

Applications will be processed strictly in order of the date that their supporting documents were received in the Passport Service in Ireland. Applicants are asked for patience as we process applications.

&

The time range is currently under process.
I'm not sure if the 'time range' is a hint that it might be reduced or increased... :?: :?:

duffy1867
European Union

Post by duffy1867 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:48 pm

Just spotted on the DFA Website (updated) today - I know this has been discussed before on here, but don't remember it ever being confirmed officially

Applications will be processed strictly in order of the date that their supporting documents were received in the Passport Service in Ireland. Applicants are asked for patience as we process applications.

&

I'm not sure if the 'time range' is a hint that it might be reduced or increased... :?: :?:

bronaghds1
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by bronaghds1 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:39 pm

I know in the grand scheme there are more things to worry about- but it has been such a long wait! :(

I am over the 25 month mark now - was hoping it would be soon but seems to be jumping about a bit with which applications are being processed.
Wish they could send a wee update email... you are 2250th in line!? :lol:

Fingers crossed for everyone to get a speedy return!

Bronagh
(bronaghds on the google form)

MikeyMike
Ireland

Post by MikeyMike » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:02 am

bronaghds1 wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:39 pm

If that happened this forum would be swamped with posts from people comparing and moaning about their queue numbers. Myself, I'm happy to remain stoic and let the FBR staff get on with their jobs in peace.

catdon
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by catdon » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:52 pm

I had a missed call this morning from a Dublin number that I missed!! I can’t believe I missed the call I’ve been waiting for over two years. Has anyone got anything reassuring about this? Will they call me back or email instead? Help 😔

bronaghds1
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by bronaghds1 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:22 pm

MikeyMike wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:02 am
bronaghds1 wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:39 pm

If that happened this forum would be swamped with posts from people comparing and moaning about their queue numbers. Myself, I'm happy to remain stoic and let the FBR staff get on with their jobs in peace.
I guess tone is lost in text- it was a joke...I will also continue my stoic wait - also letting the FBR staff get on with their jobs. I am sure my post didn't disrupt them.

bronaghds1
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by bronaghds1 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:27 pm

catdon wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:52 pm
I had a missed call this morning from a Dublin number that I missed!! I can’t believe I missed the call I’ve been waiting for over two years. Has anyone got anything reassuring about this? Will they call me back or email instead? Help 😔
That is exciting! Are you able to call the number back? I think they do try again to call - I remember reading someone's post a while ago about that, but not sure where it is.

I saw on the spreadsheet that we have the same dates - phone is going to be on sound all the time now!

babyhalloween2
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by babyhalloween2 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:32 pm

Happy Friday everyone!
I have received my FBR certificate in the post, and I'm so pleased! :D
From submission on the 28th September 2019 to today, that's 854 days.
Wishing you all speedy confirmation!

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:11 pm

babyhalloween2 wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:32 pm
Happy Friday everyone!
Congrats!!!!

jgclancy

discover_ireland
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by discover_ireland » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:13 pm

duffy1867 wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:41 pm
Just spotted on the DFA Website today - I know this has been discussed before on here, but don't remember it ever being confirmed officially

&

Thanks for the link

firefighter664
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by firefighter664 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:23 pm

Hi all,

Very happy to get my 'congratulations' email through today and my citizenship certificate and docs are, hopefully, already on their way.

Application: 15 Aug 19
Documents received in Ireland confirmed: 7 Oct 19
'Confirmation of address' email: 17 Jan 22
'Congratulations' email: 28 Jan 22.

It's taken a very long time and it came through just as I was becoming disillusioned with it, but I'm delighted to be an Irish citizen and European again. Good luck to everyone here and keep the faith!

MikeyMike
Ireland

Post by MikeyMike » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:27 pm

bronaghds1 wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:22 pm

I guess tone is lost in text- it was a joke...I will also continue my stoic wait - also letting the FBR staff get on with their jobs. I am sure my post didn't disrupt them.
I supposed you were joking but there's a certain minority on here who would like nothing less than an Amazon Prime level of service from the Irish DFA. Good luck with your application.

aleapples
Newly Registered
Croatia

Post by aleapples » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:34 am

babyhalloween2 wrote:
Happy Friday everyone!
Can I ask how long it was between your congratulations email and your certificate being received?

aleapples
Newly Registered
Croatia

Post by aleapples » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:35 am

babyhalloween2 wrote:
Happy Friday everyone!
Can I ask how long it was between your congratulations email and your certificate being received?

bronaghds1
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by bronaghds1 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:27 pm

MikeyMike wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:27 pm
bronaghds1 wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:22 pm

I supposed you were joking but there's a certain minority on here who would like nothing less than an Amazon Prime level of service from the Irish DFA. Good luck with your application.
But, I did say I was in month 25 of waiting - clearly not expecting Amazon Prime service - your comment was not required. The forum is here for people people who have a common goal to ask questions, share dates and frustrations.

Good luck with yours too.

babyhalloween2
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by babyhalloween2 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:52 pm

aleapples wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:35 am
babyhalloween2 wrote:
Happy Friday everyone!
Hello!
I was asked for the confirmation of my address via email on January 4th. The next day I was told my name was entered onto the register and that the postage of the certificate would take 3-4 weeks.
However, on the 24th January I received an automated email congratulating me for joining the register. That's a 20 day difference between being told I was entered to the register by the agent and actually getting an automated congratulations email. The envelope the certificate came in didn't have a postage date so I'm not sure when it was posted, but I would assume earlier.

NYmph10927
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by NYmph10927 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:25 pm

babyhalloween2 wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:52 pm
aleapples wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:35 am
babyhalloween2 wrote:
Happy Friday everyone!
Hello!
I was asked for the confirmation of my address via email on January 4th. The next day I was told my name was entered onto the register and that the postage of the certificate would take 3-4 weeks.
However, on the 24th January I received an automated email congratulating me for joining the register. That's a 20 day difference between being told I was entered to the register by the agent and actually getting an automated congratulations email. The envelope the certificate came in didn't have a postage date so I'm not sure when it was posted, but I would assume earlier.
Congratulations babyhalloween2. Our timelines are quite similar.

Date applied: Oct 1 2019
Date received: Oct 9 2019
Address Conf: Jan 7 2022
Mailing date: Jan 20 2022
FBR cert Rec Jan 27 2022

My certificate was actually printed on Jan 10 2022. What a journey it has been. I have had this forum open on my browser since at least December 2019 when I was trying to see how long the process would really take. I am going to apply for a passport but I want to help my Dad get his in at the same time (he obviously didn't need to obtain FBR). From there, I have promised one set of my cousins that I would give them our grandparnent's docs so they could do a sibling application. Cheers everyone. I suppose I should go ahead and update the google spreadsheet.

wonderingfree
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by wonderingfree » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:09 pm

My documents were received early December 2019, and I am still waiting!

Here is something interesting. The Minister for Foreign Affairs was asked about how many people work on FBR applications. It may come as a surprise...
My Department is responsible for citizenship by descent through the Foreign Births Register under the Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act 1956 (“the 1956 Act”), as amended.

The processing of Foreign Birth Registration has resumed and will be gradually scaling up in line with the recruitment of additional resources. At present, a total of 36 full time staff work on Foreign Births Registration.
https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/qu ... gistration

Pobekew
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Pobekew » Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:43 am

Hi,

I am new to this forum and hoping the members here can assist. I am helping my wife collect documentation ahead of an FBR application. It is clear from the posts I still have a long path ahead of me, but I struggle to navigate government websites and any help would be much appreciated.

The FRB application will be made on the basis of an Irish-born grandparent. What I am looking to understand is:
  • Whether original certified copies issues by the UK GRO are acceptable. The DFA website requires originals to be submitted, however most original birth certificates have been lost to time. If these original certified copies are acceptable, would I need these legalised for use in Ireland (to clarify: for her grandmother the Irish authorities have been most helpful to provide authenticated copies, it's the UK documents I struggle with).
  • My wife's mother was born in the UK, and to our understanding has never had her own birth registered in Ireland, and she wouldn't have any interest to do so now. Before my wife can request her FRB, is there a requirement to do her mother's first?
Thank you in advance.

Kind regards
Seb

Valo
Ireland

Post by Valo » Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:03 pm

Hi there!

1. Yes, certified copies of originals from the relevant registry offices such as the GRO are acceptable. No you don't need to get them 'legalised' they are already certified the moment they are sent out to you.

2. Your mother would have been an Irish citizen since birth since her mother (your grandparent) is Irish. It is irrelevant whether or not she holds an Irish passport or not.

MKCG
Scotland

Post by MKCG » Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:57 pm

Does anyone know if ID documents that expire during the wait are still usable by the FBR team. I just remembered that my driving license expired in Oct 2020, it has been renewed but given that my fbr docs were sent to Dublin in March 2020, the fbr team obviously have the old license.

I’m also pretty sure that my mums passport has now gone out of date since the docs were posted. Obviously I had to send a notorised copy of this also.

Is this an issue to them?

babyhalloween2
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by babyhalloween2 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:06 pm

NYmph10927 wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:25 pm

Congratulations babyhalloween2. Our timelines are quite similar.

Date applied: Oct 1 2019
Date received: Oct 9 2019
Address Conf: Jan 7 2022
Mailing date: Jan 20 2022
FBR cert Rec Jan 27 2022

My certificate was actually printed on Jan 10 2022. What a journey it has been. I have had this forum open on my browser since at least December 2019 when I was trying to see how long the process would really take. I am going to apply for a passport but I want to help my Dad get his in at the same time (he obviously didn't need to obtain FBR). From there, I have promised one set of my cousins that I would give them our grandparnent's docs so they could do a sibling application. Cheers everyone. I suppose I should go ahead and update the google spreadsheet.
Thank you, congratulations to you too! I likewise have had this page open for what feels like forever. Next step the passport... hopefully that doesn't take quite as long.

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Mr_Knight » Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:48 pm

MKCG wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:57 pm
Does anyone know if ID documents that expire during the wait are still usable by the FBR team. I just remembered that my driving license expired in Oct 2020, it has been renewed but given that my fbr docs were sent to Dublin in March 2020, the fbr team obviously have the old license.

I’m also pretty sure that my mums passport has now gone out of date since the docs were posted. Obviously I had to send a notorised copy of this also.

Is this an issue to them?
I would'nt worry about it. They were valid at the time they were submitted. Worst case scenario they could ask for an up to date copy when your time for application approval comes.