ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Going on holiday after naturalisation application

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mmsa
Mood:
United Kingdom

Going on holiday after naturalisation application

Post by mmsa » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:04 pm

Hi all

I am due to apply for naturalisation now. I did leave the country for 5 weeks in september but nothing before this, so I am within the 6 week absence rule. My question is after I apply (lets say in February or March), can I leave after this for holidays/seeing family?

My worry is that if they request my passport for approval after I leave for a few weeks following my application (as you all know they are accepting certified photocopies) this absence may count towards the 6 week rule even though it was after application date.

If this was not a problem how long can someone actually leave for and not have an issue, FYI currently on stamp 4. Some other threads seem to indicate 3 months?

Thanks a mill

meself2
Ireland

Re: Going on holiday after naturalisation application

Post by meself2 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:42 pm

First of all, if your absence exceeds 6 weeks, you have to notify ISD regardless. No idea what that might lead to, and if it even will, but that's something to consider. They might not be very happy to know you're off for months after you get your application sent in.
Also, as far as I know, your years count not as calendar years (Jan 1st 2020 - Jan 1st, 2021, for example), but more of a tax years or something, from the date you get your permission (eg you got your first stamp in 23rd Aug 2019, so your first year will be 23rd Aug 2019 - 23rd August 2020). So if your 6 weeks will be in your year 6 and they weren't used before, I'd say you'd be fine.
In terms of time - It was mentioned about 3 months somewhere, but I can't say for sure. Obviously, the less the better.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

OneWorld2122
Ireland

Post by OneWorld2122 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:42 pm

Date you applied is the date you and witness signed the declaration, so last year before you applied you were under 6 weeks away from country,

AND,

this counter resets after you apply, so from the date you applied to next 1 year you can travel outside for up to 6 weeks with no issues .

mmsa wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:04 pm
Hi all

I am due to apply for naturalisation now. I did leave the country for 5 weeks in september but nothing before this, so I am within the 6 week absence rule. My question is after I apply (lets say in February or March), can I leave after this for holidays/seeing family?

My worry is that if they request my passport for approval after I leave for a few weeks following my application (as you all know they are accepting certified photocopies) this absence may count towards the 6 week rule even though it was after application date.

If this was not a problem how long can someone actually leave for and not have an issue, FYI currently on stamp 4. Some other threads seem to indicate 3 months?

Thanks a mill

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:51 am

OneWorld2122 wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:42 pm
AND,

this counter resets after you apply, so from the date you applied to next 1 year you can travel outside for up to 6 weeks with no issues .
Nothing resets after you apply. Continous residency rule is lifted after your application date. You have to explain your reason of absence if you are away from country for more than 6 weeks for each year during your residency in Ireland till you get your citizenship. Only difference is if you are away more than 6 weeks after your citizenship application, then you have to notify ISD by email.

As long as you don't exceed 6 weeks in 2022, all good. They consider the date on your application for counting continous residency. So after that time, you don't have to worry about 6 week continous residency rule (as I have been told).

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:00 am

Just for clarification (as I can't edit my post):

There is no counter to reset after your application. After your application is sent and acknowledged you will be free to leave country up to 6 weeks per every year as usual. The limiting factor here was continous residence which was the date of your application till going back to 1 year before your application. Like March 2021-March 2022, less than 6 weeks? All good.

Example:

You applied in March 2022, and you are away for 3 weeks in 2022 already but your continous residence rule is not broken. After the application, you can still leave Ireland up to 3 weeks till January 2023. If you leave more than that, then you have to notify ISD. I don't know if or what ISD asks anything about your absence. The reason is, if you have longer absence, there will be no way for ISD to know as you filled out your application form already.

Also, just my 2 cents, call me over thinking, but I wouldn't be relaxed (about leaving country) till you get your acknowledgement letter . As if they refuse your application (for reasons like outdated application form, not enough residency days or break of continous residency rule) you will have to apply again and if you already left the country for 6 weeks then you will have to wait even longer to place your application again. But again, this is just my overthinking.

OneWorld2122
Ireland

Post by OneWorld2122 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:56 pm

Sorry , may be wrong choice of words but by the counter reset, I meant , suppose :

1) Applicant signed the declaration on 01 march, 2021
2) Continuous residency year will be march 20-21 and suppose applicant was away for 5 weeks , 5 days during this period ( it’s under 6 weeks )
3) so after declaration signed to next 1 year(365 days) he can be away for 6 weeks without need to notify ISD.

As, ISD clarified and discussed in forum several times by YEAR it’s not fiscal year( jan -Dec) but 365 days from application date.

That’s my understanding.

mentalmind wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:51 am
OneWorld2122 wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:42 pm
AND,

Nothing resets after you apply. Continous residency rule is lifted after your application date. You have to explain your reason of absence if you are away from country for more than 6 weeks for each year during your residency in Ireland till you get your citizenship. Only difference is if you are away more than 6 weeks after your citizenship application, then you have to notify ISD by email.

As long as you don't exceed 6 weeks in 2022, all good. They consider the date on your application for counting continous residency. So after that time, you don't have to worry about 6 week continous residency rule (as I have been told).

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:30 pm

OneWorld2122 wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:56 pm

As, ISD clarified and discussed in forum several times by YEAR it’s not fiscal year( jan -Dec) but 365 days from application date.
I might be totally wrong but what you are mentioning is regards 6 weeks continuous residency rule. Yearly 6 week absence allowance is counted between Jan-Dec of each year. So my understanding (again I might be wrong) as long as you are not away more than 6 weeks per year (Jan-Dec 2022 for ex.) it’s all good.

OneWorld2122
Ireland

Post by OneWorld2122 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:17 pm

Look at this thread, point 2 and reply from littlerr , how residency is calculated !!, it’s not fiscal year, it’s year from date person signed the declaration. I think , whether continuous residency final year or other year , logic of calculation is same

I think, there are lot of thread on this forum about, how year it’s calculated and someone has also posted reply from ISD confirming the same .

ireland/irish-residency-calculation-6-w ... y#p1945730

mentalmind wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:30 pm
OneWorld2122 wrote:

I might be totally wrong but what you are mentioning is regards 6 weeks continuous residency rule. Yearly 6 week absence allowance is counted between Jan-Dec of each year. So my understanding (again I might be wrong) as long as you are not away more than 6 weeks per year (Jan-Dec 2022 for ex.) it’s all good.

OneWorld2122
Ireland

Post by OneWorld2122 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:26 pm

Just to add on previous post, it’s my understanding:

So I’m assuming as defination of years before application is submitted is annual( ex. march - march ) and not fiscal year ( jan -dec) should remain same, after application is submitted, also but I could be wrong too .
OneWorld2122 wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:17 pm
Look at this thread, point 2 and reply from littlerr , how residency is calculated !!, it’s not fiscal year, it’s year from date person signed the declaration. I think , whether continuous residency final year or other year , logic of calculation is same

I think, there are lot of thread on this forum about, how year it’s calculated and someone has also posted reply from ISD confirming the same .

ireland/irish-residency-calculation-6-w ... y#p1945730

mentalmind wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:30 pm
OneWorld2122 wrote: