ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

A strange incident at passport control

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

VirtualWaver
Member of Standing
United States of America

A strange incident at passport control

Post by VirtualWaver » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:00 pm

Hi All,

Hope you all are doing well and healthy.

A strange thing happened with me today: I was traveling back to the UK from a vacation and the immigration officer told me that my ILR is not linked with my passport, asking if I changed my passport recently. He was also saying that it seems my fingeprints are not linked/visible in the system. He did allow me in nevertheless.

This is really strange and bizzare as I changed my passport back in 2018 and applied for ILR after that so the ILR application was submitted using my current passport. Also, I travelled a lot after that with the same docs and never had anything like this. I travelled 3 months ago the last time with no issues at all either.

Don't think its relevant but the airport workers asked some people, myself included, to proceed to British/EU passport control point as the queue was huge in non-EU passport holders' line. Is it possible that they used other system there designed for British/EU passports and didn't retrieve my details properly?

I am a bit worried this might cause isses in future and have no clue on why this happened.

Is this something to worry about or just a glitch in the system? How can I find out more?

Thanks.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: A strange incident at passport control

Post by zimba » Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:41 pm

ILR is a status granted to individuals, so it is not dependent on a passport or even someone's current nationality. A BRP is not strictly associated with a passport as many get a new passport after getting their BRPs. The IOCs may have to add this to their system when they see you get a new passport at the border. This seems like a glitch on their systems and has no effect on your status
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:26 pm

Maybe there was confusion between the EU Settled Status which is recorded against a passport (EU citizens only) and UK ILR which is not? Though that should be common knowledge in Border Force.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

VirtualWaver
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by VirtualWaver » Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:54 pm

Zimba wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:41 pm
ILR is a status granted to individuals, so it is not dependent on a passport or even someone's current nationality. A BRP is not strictly associated with a passport as many get a new passport after getting their BRPs. The IOCs may have to add this to their system when they see you get a new passport at the border. This seems like a glitch on their systems and has no effect on your status
Thanks a lot for info, Zimba!

VirtualWaver
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by VirtualWaver » Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:55 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:26 pm
Maybe there was confusion between the EU Settled Status which is recorded against a passport (EU citizens only) and UK ILR which is not? Though that should be common knowledge in Border Force.
Thanks, I thought so too. Maybe the officer was not experienced enough or the system glitched.