ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for British passport after naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

londonphd

Applying for British passport after naturalisation

Post by londonphd » Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:25 pm

Hello all.

I registered my little boys as British citizens last summer, and then myself in December 2021. I have not had time to apply for our passports yet - planning to apply in February.

Recently, a friend of mine told that I should have applied for British passport within three weeks of naturalisation or else it could be cancelled. I did not believe this and argued that there was no such requirement (or at least, none of the letters I received stated that). But, he said that his family members received a letter from the HO that required them to apply for British passport within 3 weeks of receiving their certificates.

I wonder why would the HO require them to apply for British passport? They already have a passport from their home country. They just became dual nationals.

Every little help with this question is appreciated! Thanks.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Applying for British passport after naturalisation

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:37 pm

The information you received is not correct - there is no requirement to apply for a passport at all - many British "natives" don't even have passports. Of course most people who register/naturalise get a passport as soon as they can as it's a handy way of proving they are British.
Perhaps your friend could share the text of that letter - just out of interest.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

londonphd

Re: Applying for British passport after naturalisation

Post by londonphd » Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:00 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:37 pm
The information you received is not correct - there is no requirement to apply for a passport at all - many British "natives" don't even have passports. Of course most people who register/naturalise get a passport as soon as they can as it's a handy way of proving they are British.
Perhaps your friend could share the text of that letter - just out of interest.
Thanks. Absolutely.
I will ask him to send me an image of the letter. I just hope that they have it. I guess he (or his family) did not understand whatever was written in the letter.