ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

FOI request through email or post?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sib2
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

FOI request through email or post?

Post by sib2 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:55 pm

Dear All,

considering requesting FOI in coming weeks, just wondering what's the best way to apply.
I can see their is a form available on DOJ website,

Is that form to be filled out and scanned to foi@justice.ie is that all needed to apply?

or that form has to be sent to Department in Post as well?

I ve gone through foi posts, couldn't find this particular information.

Please share your experience, and how long does it take usually for department to respond?

Thanks

meself2
Ireland

Re: FOI request through email or post?

Post by meself2 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:20 pm

Hey,

As far as I know, emailing it is fine. I think I've heard about it taking 4 weeks, but haven't had experience (and, hopefully, that won't be needed), so other members are welcome to chip in.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Zancolfry
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Zancolfry » Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:46 am

I applied through email and it was quick and easy. I had a response by the next day that my request had been received, a tracking number, and that I would receive a response to my request for documents no later than a specific date which was approximately four weeks after my application. The response also included instructions on how to escalate the request if I did not receive the documents by the deadline.

I received the response to my FOI a week after the deadline, but before I started the escalation process. The documents from my file came by email.

Overall, it was a very simple process.

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:54 pm

Zancolfry wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:46 am
I applied through email and it was quick and easy. I had a response by the next day that my request had been received, a tracking number, and that I would receive a response to my request for documents no later than a specific date which was approximately four weeks after my application. The response also included instructions on how to escalate the request if I did not receive the documents by the deadline.

I received the response to my FOI a week after the deadline, but before I started the escalation process. The documents from my file came by email.

Overall, it was a very simple process.
Hi Zancolfry, could you share what did your FOI included? Apart from the documents you sent already I mean. How long after your application did you fill in FOI request? Assuming this was for citizenship application. Thank you.

Zancolfry
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Zancolfry » Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:14 pm

On December 7, 2021, I completed the FOI form that is available online. The title is "Request for Access to Records under the FOI Act of 2014." I saved it to my computer so that I could attach it to my email.

In the request, I referenced my citizenship application number and stated "I am requesting all records, including but not limited to notes, texts, emails, and notations on documents, pertaining to my citizenship application, what action has been taken on my application, the dates of the actions, the stage of processing my application is in and its current status."

Then I emailed FOI@Justice.ie with the subject line - attn: xxxxxxx - FOI Request

The body of the email was:
To:
Xxxxxxxx
Freedom of Information Co-Ordination Officer
Department of Justice

Please find my Freedom of Information request attached.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

My name

I attached the FOI form to the email.

On December 8, 2021, I received the response from Justice that I mentioned in my previous post. It said that I would receive a decision regarding my records no later than January 10, 2022. On January 18, 2022, I received an email from Justice with the records they decided to release.

From my file, I received back my residency calculator page with a few handwritten notes verifying the dates added up, a page with my GNIB approval dates, a copy of the disclosure from my e-vetting in October and a page stating what they were releasing and what they were withholding and why. They did not include a copy of my application or copies of the correspondence they sent me requesting additional documents or the additional documents I sent them.

There was absolutely nothing in the returned materials documenting where my application is in the process. Based on what I received, absolutely nothing has been done on my file save verifying my residency dates, requesting additional paperwork, and one e-vetting. It was extremely disheartening.

I applied for citizenship as a non-EU spouse of an Irish citizen in January 2020. Citizenship requested additional documents in January 2021, then again in June 2021, and the e-vetting occurred in October 2021. Because I've hit the 24-month mark, this was just a step in the process to a JR (Judicial Review - but I hope it doesn't come to that), my next step is to talk to our politicians, then find an immigration attorney to send a warning letter.

I hope this was helpful. I thought long and hard about sending an FOI because I figured I'd rather my investigator spend time processing my application rather than pulling documents together for my request. After seeing how little has been done on my application (I seriously thought that I'd receive approval any day,) I'm glad that I made the request and it has convinced me that I need to proceed with a JR.