ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

FrozenTundra
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by FrozenTundra » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:06 am

duffy1867 wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:48 pm
Just spotted on the DFA Website (updated) today - I know this has been discussed before on here, but don't remember it ever being confirmed officially

https://www.dfa.ie/passports/updates/

Of relevance & interesting for us

Applications will be processed strictly in order of the date that their supporting documents were received in the Passport Service in Ireland. Applicants are asked for patience as we process applications.

&

The time range is currently under process.
I'm not sure if the 'time range' is a hint that it might be reduced or increased... :?: :?:
Interesting. This appears to validate my decision made back in April 2021 when I chose to submit my son's FBR application supporting documents despite the website saying not to. Someone on here told me that that was pointless. Relevant post:
FrozenTundra wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:43 pm
MikeyMike wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:44 pm
In fact, it's highly likely that applications are processed according to the date that the online applications are made. Instead what you risk is that your documents might sit in a dusty corner somewhere and could disappear between now and when paperwork processing starts up again.
Since the Irish government hasn't communicated anything about how/when they'll restart processing and in what order, your guess that they'll do it based on online application time is as good as mine that they'll do it on when physically received. Neither of us really knows and both of us are just guessing/conjecturing. If you want to maximize the chance of being first, then it would make sense to do both submit online and submit documentation would it not? We submitted online in February and our documents were "received" in late April. So I think we maximized both.

Loss of documentation is totally possible. But you always risk that, not sure why the amount of time between acceptance and processing would affect the risk of loss unless you think that FBR staff are rummaging intermittently through the documents, handling them in a way to possibly induce loss, and all the while continuing to not process said documents. That would be strange to me, but sure there's always a risk.
MikeyMike wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:44 pm
Unless someone has an urgent need to contact the FRB team, I suggest we all sit tight and accept the situation for what it is. The Irish authorities mistakenly relaxed Covid restrictions before Christmas and have since paid the price with one of the harshest lockdowns in the developed world. In such circumstances they rightly have to look first to their own citizens and unfortunately, non-essential services such as FBR have therefore taken a back seat.
Or, and I mean this sincerely, it is possible that the Irish government simply doesn't know what it's doing and thus simply doesn't know how or when it will restart FBR services. I don't mean that as an insult to the Irish government, but merely an observation. This would make sense given that the FBR office has given almost no communication or guidance on reopening processing; if they knew what the contingencies would be they would've told us.

Many, *many*, other bureaucracies, public and private, have figured out how to work under COVID even for certain non-essential services. It seems that the Irish government just doesn't know how to do FBR processing with COVID restrictions, which is very bizarre. They've had like a year to figure it out; things like securing a remote workspace and scanning documents aren't rocket science.

At the end of the day nobody knows anything because there has been zero communication regarding their thought process on how and when to reopen processing, so your advice to just sit tight and accept the situation is indeed a reasonable suggestion. But so is sending in documentation early, because we all have no idea.
Given the general time ranges being quoted I guess my son's application will process sometime in mid or late 2023, sigh.

gmj18922
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by gmj18922 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:47 am

Hi all, does anyone have a list of which documents are accepted as proof of address?

I have a bank statement but need something else, and council tax, utility bills etc. aren't in my name. Would a UK driving license be OK? I'm using my passport as proof of ID, so they wouldn't overlap. Thanks!

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Mr_Knight » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:06 pm

gmj18922 wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:47 am
Hi all, does anyone have a list of which documents are accepted as proof of address?

I have a bank statement but need something else, and council tax, utility bills etc. aren't in my name. Would a UK driving license be OK? I'm using my passport as proof of ID, so they wouldn't overlap. Thanks!
Your NHS vaccine status or you can have a "reminder" of your NHS number sent to your address. You could request a letter from inland revenue to be sent to you etc.

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:44 am

wonderingfree wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:09 pm
My documents were received early December 2019, and I am still waiting!

Here is something interesting. The Minister for Foreign Affairs was asked about how many people work on FBR applications. It may come as a surprise...
My Department is responsible for citizenship by descent through the Foreign Births Register under the Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act 1956 (“the 1956 Act”), as amended.

The processing of Foreign Birth Registration has resumed and will be gradually scaling up in line with the recruitment of additional resources. At present, a total of 36 full time staff work on Foreign Births Registration.
https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/qu ... gistration
This is interesting, thanks for posting. So they have 12,000 applications that have been waiting over 18 months (mine included) and 36 full time employees working through this?
That equals out to 333 per employee.
This math does not equal out. Even if they did one a day that would be close to a year and a half just to clear the first 12,000.
I really hope they are on top of scaling this up or at least streamlining the process.

JoannaKJ
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by JoannaKJ » Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:09 pm

Morning all,

Long time lurker, and very appreciative of all of the information. I applied in June 2020. I sent all my documents a few days after we were told not to, not for any sensible reason but because it had taken so long to gather all my documents I couldn’t bear for the whole thing to grind to a halt. So fingers crossed.

I’m not sure I agree with the maths. If my application is as straightforward as I think it is, surely all the verification of documents and administrative tasks should take no more than a couple of hours. I think an efficient worker could get through three simple ones in a day, so perhaps we could halve that eighteen months. Or is my eternal optimism getting the better of me?

nasher472000
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by nasher472000 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:12 am

I got the email! Officially an Irish Citizen :D

Application: 25/09/2019
Documents received: 07/10/20019
Contact from team requesting further records and confirming address: 10/01/2022
Additional documents sent: 20/01/2022
Email confirming entry to FBR: 02/02/2022

duffy1867
European Union

Post by duffy1867 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:22 am

There are currently 32,000 applications for which documentation has been received, and which are awaiting processing. In 2020, documents were received for just over 16,000 applications, with 11,000 received in 2021. Of the applications currently on hand, just over 12,000 have been awaiting processing for more than 18 months.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/qu ... gistration
I've had a look at these numbers & I reckon...

The Facts
32,000 outstanding applications
16,000 from 2020
11,000 from 2021
12,000 over 18 months old

The Guesses
This leaves 5,000 unaccounted for - considering how early this information was provided in January 2022, these 5,000 applications must be from 2019 (or most of them at least).

18 months ago is July 2020 - so roughly half way through 2020 - if you divide the 16,000 applications from 2020 in half (8,000) and then add the missing 5,000 - this takes you to roughly 12,000 (well 13,000 - but these numbers are guesstimates at best) - so at that I reckon there are...

5,000 applications from 2019
8,000 applications from the first half of 2020
8,000 applications, second half of 2020
11,000 applications from 2021
+ the rest from 2022

Of course, this could be entirely wrong, and there could (and probably was) a huge surge in Jan/Feb/March 2020 applicants due to Brexit, so the estimates for first and second half of 2020 might be meaningless, but it does roughly add up.

I am not optimistic about 2 years processing, considering we are only meaningfully getting to November 2019 and there have been practically no approved applications (excl pregnancy) with a 2020 date on them.

All I take from this (as a Feb 2020 applicant) is that I still have another 5,000 applications to wait before they even start on the 2020 applications... (...didn't they only manage to process 7,000 emergency applications the whole of last year)

hope this is useful - this is what we call 'back of a fag packet maths' in the UK :lol:

JoannaKJ
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by JoannaKJ » Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:34 pm

Very helpful thank you and that is an impressive fag packet! I do think we can be more confident about the speed of processing, however. If they can process 7000 in 12 months when the office is closed and most of the staff are redeployed then surely they can do better than 12,000 in 18 months when they’re back to normal.

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Mr_Knight » Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:01 pm

There are forums out there dated from the early 2000's showing regular people had sent FBR applications, been approved then applied and recieved a passport all in a three month period. Simpler times :roll:

firefighter664
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by firefighter664 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:59 pm

nasher472000 wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:12 am
I got the email! Officially an Irish Citizen :D

Application: 25/09/2019
Documents received: 07/10/20019
Contact from team requesting further records and confirming address: 10/01/2022
Additional documents sent: 20/01/2022
Email confirming entry to FBR: 02/02/2022
Congratulations nasher! :D

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:56 pm

Mr_Knight wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:01 pm
There are forums out there dated from the early 2000's showing regular people had sent FBR applications, been approved then applied and received a passport all in a three month period. Simpler times :roll:
My brother did the FBR route in 1999 --took a month. Back then was a different world than from today. Mainly because the idiots voted for Brexit ----dumbest thing they could do---the flood gates opened.....morons...then came Covid19 ---backlogged!
Hoping I get my passport printed this month -that'll =2 years & 8 months+

jgclancy

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:24 pm

jgclancy wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:56 pm
Mr_Knight wrote:
There are forums out there dated from the early 2000's showing regular people had sent FBR applications, been approved then applied and received a passport all in a three month period. Simpler times :roll:
My brother did the FBR route in 1999 --took a month. Back then was a different world than from today. Mainly because the idiots voted for Brexit ----dumbest thing they could do---the flood gates opened.....morons...then came Covid19 ---backlogged!

jgclancy
Yea, I originally started this process in 2001, interrupted by marriage, baby move etc. back then you could do the whole thing at Irish Embassy in NYC. Guessing prior to them taking it away from embassies, it went much much quicker.

xRGHx
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by xRGHx » Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:00 am

Application: 17/10/2020
Documents received: 018/12/2020

....and the rest we'll see! Glad to see I'm not the only one who's kept this tab open for a year. My application through my maternal Grandmother was pretty straightforward, other than having to order a new birth certificate from GRONI. Anticipating receiving my certificate by June 2023, then immediately over to the passport office, and then maaaaaybe Christmas 2023 in Belfast *crosses fingers*

It's been re-assuring reading everyone's application stories. We'll all get there eventually, I think!

AymanG
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by AymanG » Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:02 pm

Updated
AymanG wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:32 pm
Hi

Couple of data points that might help others with their applications. My two children applied a month apart.

Child One:
Application submitted online: 06/08//2019
Email acknowledging receipt of documentation: 03/11/2019
Confirmation of address email: 16/10/2020
2nd Confirmation of address email: 01/12/2020 (missed the first one)
Congrats email: 15/12/2020
FBR certificate received: 24/02/2021

Child Two:
Application submitted online: 09/09/2019
Email acknowledging receipt of documentation: 11/11/2019
Confirmation of address email: 18/01/2022
Congrats email: 3/02/2022
FBR certificate received: waiting

Huge delay between two applications submitted a month apart... Ironically, child two is the one that really needs it most... hoping for news soon.

Good luck everyone.

mmccarthy404
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by mmccarthy404 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:31 pm

xRGHx wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:00 am

....and the rest we'll see! Glad to see I'm not the only one who's kept this tab open for a year. My application through my maternal Grandmother was pretty straightforward, other than having to order a new birth certificate from GRONI. Anticipating receiving my certificate by June 2023, then immediately over to the passport office, and then maaaaaybe Christmas 2023 in Belfast *crosses fingers*

It's been re-assuring reading everyone's application stories. We'll all get there eventually, I think!
But Belfast isn't in the Republic of Ireland? 🤔

Dub23
Ireland

Post by Dub23 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:17 pm

What is wrong with Belfast? Belfast is in Northern Ireland which is part of the UK, but also part of the Island of Ireland.

Irish passport holders are free to live and work in the UK. This is part of the Common Travel Agreement.
mmccarthy404 wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:31 pm
xRGHx wrote:

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:04 pm

Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:24 pm
jgclancy wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:56 pm
Mr_Knight wrote:

jgclancy
Yea, I originally started this process in 2001, interrupted by marriage, baby move etc. back then you could do the whole thing at Irish Embassy in NYC. Guessing prior to them taking it away from embassies, it went much much quicker.
I originally started in early 1990's when my grandmother was still alive & living in Florida, USA. We sent away for her Irish birth certificate which came back as a magnificent- 3 connected page - snow white fold out document. I was sidetracked after that with other things and never finished getting documents and doing it. I gave that certificate to my cousin -if I move to Ireland I'll get it back and frame it --it was so nice.

jgclancy
P.S. -my brother used her to do his FBR so I used our grandfather instead tohonor them both

NK_1252
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by NK_1252 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:48 am

Hello, I’ve not posted before but found this forum really helpful after it’d passed the 2 year processing time (originally advised as 6 months at the time of application).

Happy to confirm I’ve finally made it as an Irish Citizen and below are the dates:

Application submitted online: 10-Sep-2019
Documents posted from UK: 09-Oct-2019
Confirmation of receipt of docs email: 14-Oct-2019
Confirmation of address email: 26-Jan-2022
Congrats email: 03-Feb-2022
FBR certificate received: TBC in the post

Good luck to everyone waiting!

Corkythecat
United Kingdom

Post by Corkythecat » Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:19 pm

Hello all,

just dropping in to leave a link to an 'interesting' article in the Daily Mail - thought the Brits waiting on here may like to read it.

Looks like the Brexit penny is eventually dropping for some - Quelle Surprise! - Ganz Unerwartet!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/arti ... sport.html

I got my FBR back in Sept 2021 after the expected 2 years+ wait.

Best wishes and Good Luck to everyone waiting for the day.

Valo
Ireland

Post by Valo » Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:43 pm

mmccarthy404 wrote:
xRGHx wrote:

Irish citizenship applies to the whole island. You can get citizenship on the basis of a grandparent born in Northern Ireland (UK). Similarly, people born in NI are entitled to have Irish or British citizenship, or both.

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Mr_Knight » Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:55 pm

Corkythecat wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:19 pm
Hello all,

just dropping in to leave a link to an 'interesting' article in the Daily Mail - thought the Brits waiting on here may like to read it.

Looks like the Brexit penny is eventually dropping for some - Quelle Surprise! - Ganz Unerwartet!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/arti ... sport.html

I got my FBR back in Sept 2021 after the expected 2 years+ wait.

Best wishes and Good Luck to everyone waiting for the day.
Mild treason :lol: The arrogance & small mindedness of some in this country make me feel ill.

pfw
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by pfw » Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:49 pm

Hello all. I live in the US and was a lurker on this thread for a few months last year. At some point around August/September, some users commented that the FBR office appeared to be processing applications despite the website still saying they weren't accepting documentation, and that if you had your documents ready you might as well send them.

Potentially bad advice, but I submitted my online application at the end of September and my documents about a week later. Stupidly, I didn't get a tracking number from the US Postal Service, but I did write my application number on the envelope. I never received the email confirming receipt of my documents either. Last month I tried to find a phone number for someone at the FBR office who might be able to look up my application number to confirm that my documents were received. I didn't want to call the emergency number since my situation was not an emergency, but I managed to speak with someone who said there wasn't another direct line to the FBR office and that they would be setting up a webchat sometime soon.

The webchat still isn't functional, so I can't seem to get in touch with anyone outside of the emergency phone/email. I kind of regret mailing my documents at this point, but since they weren't returned to me, I assume they were received. Does anyone have a recommendation for how to confirm they received my documents? Should I just call/email the emergency options and hope I don't get yelled at for submitting when they said not to?

youthinkunoe
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by youthinkunoe » Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:01 pm

mmccarthy404 wrote:
xRGHx wrote:

Do yourself a a favor and Educate yourself on Agreements and history of Ireland. Belfast is on the island of ireland it's people are irish and if you happen to refer Derry leave the london part out

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:12 pm

NK_1252 wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:48 am
Hello, I’ve not posted before but found this forum really helpful after it’d passed the 2 year processing time (originally advised as 6 months at the time of application).

Happy to confirm I’ve finally made it as an Irish Citizen and below are the dates:

Application submitted online: 10-Sep-2019
Documents posted from UK: 09-Oct-2019
Confirmation of receipt of docs email: 14-Oct-2019
Confirmation of address email: 26-Jan-2022
Congrats email: 03-Feb-2022
FBR certificate received: TBC in the post

Good luck to everyone waiting!
Congrats!!!

jgclancy

xRGHx
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by xRGHx » Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:28 pm

oh dear...I didn't mean to start a whole NI vs Republic conversation, but thanks to those who gently pointed out that it's called Northern IRELAND for a reason! Funny thing is, my Grandmother was born years before partition created NI in 1921...if she was still alive, I think she'd be surprised to know people are still confused by it all!