ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Registering foreign birth based on foreign birth grandparent?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Mcer321
Newly Registered
Ireland

Registering foreign birth based on foreign birth grandparent?

Post by Mcer321 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:32 pm

Hello, I am going to try and write this in a way that doesn't confuse me let alone anyone else, but I would really appreciate anyone who may have an answer or experienced this. Apologies if this should go somewhere else, or if I am meant to piggy back on another forum post, please let me know and I can move it.

Lineage:
1. Great-grandparent - born in Ireland
2. Grandparent - born in uk, registered as foreign birth 2020 and now has Irish passport.
3. Parent - born in uk, foreign birth and Irish passport application stuck in 2 year backlog (estimated time of completion - 2023).
4. Hypothetical Child - potentially will be born in the uk 2022 (but potentially before parent's application is processed).

My query is, can the hypothetical child qualify for being put on the foreign register of births because the grandparent is now registered, or does the hypothetical child need to have had the parents application to have been processed and completed to qualify?

I understand the most of the information on the Irish citizens information website (https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/m ... ister.html). It is the reference to 'born on the island of Ireland' but doesn’t say that person can also be a foreign birth registered fish citizen with passport, that suggests there may not be the wiggle room I was hoping for.

I am sure there is a simple answer to this that I am missing so thank you for any help in advance!

Dub23
Ireland

Re: Registering foreign birth based on foreign birth grandparent?

Post by Dub23 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:43 pm

Unfortunately the grandparent had to be born on the Island of Ireland.

But there is a solution. If there is a pregnancy one can get your FBR application expedited, but you'll need proof of the pregnancy and a letter from the doctor. So if the parent's application can be expedited and is placed on the register before the birth then the child can also do an FBR application.

Mcer321 wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:32 pm
Hello, I am going to try and write this in a way that doesn't confuse me let alone anyone else, but I would really appreciate anyone who may have an answer or experienced this. Apologies if this should go somewhere else, or if I am meant to piggy back on another forum post, please let me know and I can move it.

Lineage:
1. Great-grandparent - born in Ireland
2. Grandparent - born in uk, registered as foreign birth 2020 and now has Irish passport.
3. Parent - born in uk, foreign birth and Irish passport application stuck in 2 year backlog (estimated time of completion - 2023).
4. Hypothetical Child - potentially will be born in the uk 2022 (but potentially before parent's application is processed).

My query is, can the hypothetical child qualify for being put on the foreign register of births because the grandparent is now registered, or does the hypothetical child need to have had the parents application to have been processed and completed to qualify?

I understand the most of the information on the Irish citizens information website (https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/m ... ister.html). It is the reference to 'born on the island of Ireland' but doesn’t say that person can also be a foreign birth registered fish citizen with passport, that suggests there may not be the wiggle room I was hoping for.

I am sure there is a simple answer to this that I am missing so thank you for any help in advance!

Mcer321
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Mcer321 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:02 pm

Thanks Dub23, that’s what I assumed but hoped wasn’t the case! I will explore the expedited process for pregnant applicants more closely and try and follow that. Thank you again for your quick and clear response, it is very much appreciated.

Dub23
Ireland

Post by Dub23 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:19 pm

No worries, all the best.
Mcer321 wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:02 pm
Thanks Dub23, that’s what I assumed but hoped wasn’t the case! I will explore the expedited process for pregnant applicants more closely and try and follow that. Thank you again for your quick and clear response, it is very much appreciated.

aliward
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by aliward » Sun May 01, 2022 7:15 pm

I have a question please. Applying under the Irish born grandparent route. We have all the documents except that we cannot get photo ID of my father as we are not in touch. What is the way round or will we be ok with just his birth cert

corky100
United Kingdom

Post by corky100 » Sun May 01, 2022 9:04 pm

Hang on a sec....Why would, 2 - Grandparent to hypothetical child, need FBR if one parent was born on the Isle of Ireland?

bfs_lawd
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by bfs_lawd » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:56 am

corky100 wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 9:04 pm
Hang on a sec....Why would, 2 - Grandparent to hypothetical child, need FBR if one parent was born on the Isle of Ireland?
Exactly what im thinking, i think she is misinterpreted the non irish born grandparent grandparent being registered as giving her some form of entitlement.

rgaines3
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by rgaines3 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:29 am

Hi! I've got a question similar to the original post. I'm seeking to apply for Irish citizenship through descent (FBR). I'll try to sum it up below:

1. Great-grandparents born on the island of Ireland
2. Grandparent born abroad, registered as a foreign birth, returned to Ireland to live permanently at the age of 3, lived there until immigrating to the US at age 11
3. Mother born in the US, not on the FBR
4. Me, born in the US

I have my grandparent's original registration of birth and documentation showing his permanent residence on the island of Ireland, along with all of the other documentation needed for FBR application. Do I stand a chance of having my FBR application approved? Thank you!

G Dog
Ireland

Post by G Dog » Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:23 am

rgaines3 wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:29 am
Hi! I've got a question similar to the original post. I'm seeking to apply for Irish citizenship through descent (FBR). I'll try to sum it up below:

1. Great-grandparents born on the island of Ireland
2. Grandparent born abroad, registered as a foreign birth, returned to Ireland to live permanently at the age of 3, lived there until immigrating to the US at age 11
3. Mother born in the US, not on the FBR
4. Me, born in the US

I have my grandparent's original registration of birth and documentation showing his permanent residence on the island of Ireland, along with all of the other documentation needed for FBR application. Do I stand a chance of having my FBR application approved? Thank you!
You won't qualify for FBR as your closest Irish born relative is a great grandparent. Your grandparent wouldn't have to do the FBR process though, as they were born to an Irish citizen. As your grandparent was born abroad to an Irish born citizen, they would have had to add your mother to the FBR prior to your birth for you to qualify, but sadly that is not the case.