ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU Citizen applying for Irish Citizenship

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Simon1977
Newly Registered
Ireland

EU Citizen applying for Irish Citizenship

Post by Simon1977 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:37 pm

Hi Folks,

I am wondering if there are any EU citizen here who have applied (or will apply) for Irish citizenship through naturalisation.

I was reading through the forum but couldn't find anything regarding timeline experience specifically from EU citizen (I guess once the documents and paperwork are in order it should be a straightforward application).

Talking to fellow EU citizen I noticed that many wouldn't be interested due to not having any real benefits apart from voting in general election, becoming politicians or joining the Irish army.

That being said I personally like the idea of having dual citizenship as Ireland is my home for almost 1.5 decades and I also want to be able to vote in all elections and may even get involved in politics.

I have almost all paperwork in order as per the new scorecard system but I am wondering who I should choose for referees (friends, work colleagues or my employer, i.e. higher management, director etc)?

Furthermore how much did you pay for the solicitor to verify/sign passport copy, photos, birth cert and statutory declaration?

Many thanks,
Simon

meself2
Ireland

Re: EU Citizen applying for Irish Citizenship

Post by meself2 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:05 pm

I've seen quite a number of EU people (and British as well, they're nonEU now, but they might have been when they applied) here trying to get citizenship. Rumour has it they are the ones getting their e-vetting now, not sure how true it is. Take a glance at citizenship application timelines, if you so wish.
NonEU personally, but for referees - don't think there is a requirement for them to have certain jobs, etc. Whatever is suitable for you.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:12 pm

On the contrary, the majority of applicants are EU (and now including UK) citizens. If you read some of the press release (e.g. this one https://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/PR20000029 ), all top3 countries are from the EU/UK, and it has been consistently like this in the last decade.

References - you are free to choose any 3 people that an Irish nationality. However, you need to make sure that they know you personally and they know INIS may or may not contact them any time in the next 2 years. Obviously you don’t want someone who never answers calls from unknown callers.

Solicitors/witnesses - the new requirement (notarising all pages of current and previous passports) has only kicked in last month, and we have heard of some ridiculous amount of fees. Anywhere between 50-300 euro should be expected, although it would be quite difficult to find someone who charges you less than 100 euro.

ttowners
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by ttowners » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:18 pm

For Fees to verify/sign passport.

Do shops around, i've heard solicitors Charing 40-50euro(per passport) to verify/sign passport copy, at the same they they will sign photos, birth cert and statutory declaration as well. (this one i heard from a friend in cork who sent his application last saturday.)

I'm still looking around in dublin, so far found one who i think he is is a notary public or commissioner for oaths who would do it for 50e per whole passport(90 for 2passport) and photo.

Dub23
Ireland

Post by Dub23 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:57 pm

The UK and Ireland has a long standing agreement that allows UK passport holders to work and live in Ireland without any restrictions and the same applies to Irish passport holders wanting to work and live in the UK i.e. Brexit didn't have an impact on this.

Simply put, as an EU Passport holder if you do not have an Irish passport you can't go and live and work in the UK without a work permit.

If you have no plans of relocating to the UK then there isn't much further benefit in having an Irish passport.

Simon1977
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Simon1977 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:46 am

Hi All,

Thanks a mill for your replies!

Cheers,
Simon

Simon1977
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Simon1977 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:54 am

ttowners wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:18 pm
For Fees to verify/sign passport.

Do shops around, i've heard solicitors Charing 40-50euro(per passport) to verify/sign passport copy, at the same they they will sign photos, birth cert and statutory declaration as well. (this one i heard from a friend in cork who sent his application last saturday.)

I'm still looking around in dublin, so far found one who i think he is is a notary public or commissioner for oaths who would do it for 50e per whole passport(90 for 2passport) and photo.
Cheers. I am also based in Dublin.

Do we need to supply previous passports as well?
My current passport was only issued in autumn 2019 and is valid until 2029. The old passports I had to return to the local authorities in my home country.

The commissioner of oath you found would do it for €50 for one passport. Do you know how much he would charge for the rest (i.e. 2 passport photos, birth cert and declaration form).

Thanks.

Simon1977
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Simon1977 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:00 am

littlerr wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:12 pm
References - you are free to choose any 3 people that an Irish nationality. However, you need to make sure that they know you personally and they know INIS may or may not contact them any time in the next 2 years. Obviously you don’t want someone who never answers calls from unknown callers.
Unfortunately that's an issue as my Irish friends don't answer calls from unknown numbers.

I was thinking about asking my dentist and the manager of my child's creche. I could probably also ask one of our directors in work. I presume my Irish wife doesn't qualify.... :mrgreen:

Simon1977
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Simon1977 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:04 am

Dub23 wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:57 pm
The UK and Ireland has a long standing agreement that allows UK passport holders to work and live in Ireland without any restrictions and the same applies to Irish passport holders wanting to work and live in the UK i.e. Brexit didn't have an impact on this.

Simply put, as an EU Passport holder if you do not have an Irish passport you can't go and live and work in the UK without a work permit.

If you have no plans of relocating to the UK then there isn't much further benefit in having an Irish passport.
Cheers. Generally I have no plans of working in the UK but retirement in NI could be a serious consideration.