ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English requirements

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

rodm
Newly Registered
Mood:
Brazil

English requirements

Post by rodm » Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:42 pm

Hi,

I hold a skilled worker visa and I am applying for ILR this month. In 2017 when I first applied for my visa, I passed the IELTS UKVI test. I read somewhere on this forum that english requirements for ILR under a skilled worker route is not required, however on my application I have to answer the "Have you passed an approved English language test?" question.

When I answer Yes, is asking me for a certificate. Is that the IELTS UKVI certificate I received in 2017 or do I need to pass the test again?

Regards,

Rod

ywlgy
United Kingdom

Re: English requirements

Post by ywlgy » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:11 pm

You definitely do not need to take the test again. Is there a question asking "Have you provided evidence of your English language ability in a previous application?" if you answer No to that question?
DISCLAIMER: Advice given is based on my past experience and/or my interpretation of Immigration Rules and UKVI documents.

rodm
Newly Registered
Mood:
Brazil

Post by rodm » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:28 am

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I had that question last time I renewed my skilled worker visa. But now in the ILR I only have the questions below;

Have you previously been granted leave to remain under Tier 2 (General) as a doctor, dentist, nurse or midwife, and passed an English Language assessment accepted by the relevant regulated professional body as a requirement for registration? is not my case, so NO.

Have you passed an approved English language test?Yes
Did the test assess your speaking and listening skills at a level equivalent to CEFR B1 or higher?Yes
How did you get your result? Certificate

I still have the certificate from my first leaver to enter application back in 2017, should I use that?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:17 am

rodm wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:28 am
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I had that question last time I renewed my skilled worker visa. But now in the ILR I only have the questions below;

Have you previously been granted leave to remain under Tier 2 (General) as a doctor, dentist, nurse or midwife, and passed an English Language assessment accepted by the relevant regulated professional body as a requirement for registration? is not my case, so NO.

Have you passed an approved English language test?Yes
Did the test assess your speaking and listening skills at a level equivalent to CEFR B1 or higher?Yes
How did you get your result? Certificate

I still have the certificate from my first leaver to enter application back in 2017, should I use that?
If it was previously used for a successful application and providee still on HOs approved list then it can be reused.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:28 pm

rodm wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:42 pm
Hi,

I hold a skilled worker visa and I am applying for ILR this month. In 2017 when I first applied for my visa, I passed the IELTS UKVI test. I read somewhere on this forum that english requirements for ILR under a skilled worker route is not required, however on my application I have to answer the "Have you passed an approved English language test?" question.

When I answer Yes, is asking me for a certificate. Is that the IELTS UKVI certificate I received in 2017 or do I need to pass the test again?

Regards,

Rod

The English language is not a requirement anymore under the Skilled worker route: indefinite-leave-to-remain/language-req ... l#p2002760
No need to provide anything.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

rodm
Newly Registered
Mood:
Brazil

Post by rodm » Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:49 pm

Thank you guys!

ywlgy
United Kingdom

Post by ywlgy » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:50 pm

My gut feeling tells me if you answer No to "Have you passed an approved English language test?" you might be given the question "Have you provided evidence in previous application?".

There must be someone who has never done a test but used English-taught degree in their previous application.

Anyway, UKVI's forms are full of surprise as always :P
DISCLAIMER: Advice given is based on my past experience and/or my interpretation of Immigration Rules and UKVI documents.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:15 am

ywlgy wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:50 pm
Anyway, UKVI's forms are full of surprise as always :P
Are they in a muddle?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.