ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

transferring citizenship ceremony to other council

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

nickmpco

transferring citizenship ceremony to other council

Post by nickmpco » Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:47 pm

Hi there,

I received approval of citizenship, but my council (in Scotland) has very little availability. I was offered a time in 2 months (that I can't make given work commitments) and another in 3 months. The one in 3 months might work with my job, but I will likely need to travel around June and this wouldn't leave enough time.

Are these timeframes typical? I was given the option of paying for a private ceremony, but after going spending a decade in the UK immigration system and paying all of these ridiculous fees I don't want to pay a penny more.

Do you know if there is the possibility of transferring the ceremony to another council?

Many thanks.

prs
BANNED
United Kingdom

Re: transferring citizenship ceremony to other council

Post by prs » Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:39 pm

If you decide to change the council, you have to call the Home Office and let them know and they will ask your current council to send your certificate back to them and they will have to send your certificate to the new council.

This could take up to 6 moths again. its not as easy as just changing the council and walk in!

I agree with you in regards to spending £1000's in immigration and it feels like a burden when you have to pay more just to get the whole process finish. But remember that this is the final push. and after this you wont have to pay anything else (apart from for your passport of course).

So, just book a private ceremony and get it out of the way.

Good luck.