ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Ireland - First time passport applications timelines -2021

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Re: Ireland - First time passport applications timelines -2021

Post by jgclancy » Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:42 pm

jgclancy wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:39 pm
UncleBud wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:26 pm
jgclancy wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:21 pm

I'll also look into getting a Stamp 6 in my USA Passport in case I ever misplace my Irish one I'll be okay. Have to go to Dublin to do that though

jgclancy
Can you explain the Stamp 6 business? Is it something that happens at the airport upon arrival, or is this something that requires a trip to a Dublin government office after arrival?

I was hoping to use my Irish passport upon arrival in Dublin for the shorter queue.
From what I've read you have to go to the Immigration Office in Dublin via appointment . You must bring foreign passport & proof of Irish citizenship -i.e.-Irish passport or FBR certificate or naturalization papers...they then stamp the foreign passport. The Stamp 6 basically says you can "Remain in Ireland without any conditions". I plan to get it just in case I ever misplace my Irish passport once I'm living there. -I don't know the rules for using it when traveling . very little info in my searches.

jgclancy

pwchwh
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by pwchwh » Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:31 pm

jgclancy wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:42 pm
jgclancy wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:39 pm
UncleBud wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:26 pm
jgclancy wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:21 pm

I'll also look into getting a Stamp 6 in my USA Passport in case I ever misplace my Irish one I'll be okay. Have to go to Dublin to do that though

jgclancy
Can you explain the Stamp 6 business? Is it something that happens at the airport upon arrival, or is this something that requires a trip to a Dublin government office after arrival?

I was hoping to use my Irish passport upon arrival in Dublin for the shorter queue.
From what I've read you have to go to the Immigration Office in Dublin via appointment . You must bring foreign passport & proof of Irish citizenship -i.e.-Irish passport or FBR certificate or naturalization papers...they then stamp the foreign passport. The Stamp 6 basically says you can "Remain in Ireland without any conditions". I plan to get it just in case I ever misplace my Irish passport once I'm living there. -I don't know the rules for using it when traveling . very little info in my searches.

jgclancy
Hello jgclancy,

Just thought I would mention this as I recently got a Stamp 6 on my non-Irish passport. Currently you can't book an appointment at the Immigration Office in Dublin for Stamp 6, all you need to do is send your non-Irish passport and proof of Irish citizenship (in my case it was the original naturalisation certificate) to:

Unit 3 – Residence Division
4th Floor
Immigration Service Delivery
Department of Justice
13-14 Burgh Quay
Dublin 2 D02 XK70
Ireland

Don't forget to include an address you want your documents returned to in a cover letter.

It took less than a week for me to get my documents back!

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:22 pm

[/quote]

Hello jgclancy,

Just thought I would mention this as I recently got a Stamp 6 on my non-Irish passport. Currently you can't book an appointment at the Immigration Office in Dublin for Stamp 6, all you need to do is send your non-Irish passport and proof of Irish citizenship (in my case it was the original naturalisation certificate) to:

4th Floor
Department of Justice
13-14 Burgh Quay
Dublin 2 D02 XK70
Ireland

Don't forget to include an address you want your documents returned to in a cover letter.

[/quote]

Thanks for sharing the information. Good to know. I'll file this away and hopefully send it from my cousins place once I get to Ireland in the Spring .Not really needed but see no reason not to get...if that makes sense.
Also, do you have any info about using it for travel as UncleBud asked? I know it can be used traveling about the EU but not sure of any of its uses/ limits.
Thanks for adding the address

jgclancy

Korms
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Korms » Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:53 pm

Korms wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:16 am
Hi Folks,

I submitted my first time application (which should be straight forward as I was born in Ireland before 2005) with the following timeline:

08 Oct 21: Application received
03 Nov 21: Processing application
We have received your supporting documents. We are now verifying these documents.
Estimated issue 07 Jan 22

On 06 Jan 22 it changed to:
Processing application
Your application is being processed

I assume the current Covid situation has created a backlog, so I am debating whether I should get on the webchat and see what the hold up is or how much long should I anticipate the processing to take or just continue to be patient and let it work through....

Anyone have an insight or recommendation?

Thanks in advance
04 Feb. Status changed to Printing!!

Thank goodness, we are travelling on 19 February so just in time!

pwchwh
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by pwchwh » Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:33 pm

jgclancy wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:22 pm
Hello jgclancy,

4th Floor
Department of Justice
13-14 Burgh Quay
Dublin 2 D02 XK70
Ireland

[/quote]

Thanks for sharing the information. Good to know. I'll file this away and hopefully send it from my cousins place once I get to Ireland in the Spring .Not really needed but see no reason not to get...if that makes sense.
Also, do you have any info about using it for travel as UncleBud asked? I know it can be used traveling about the EU but not sure of any of its uses/ limits.
Thanks for adding the address

jgclancy
[/quote]

My understanding is that Stamp 6 on a non-Irish passport doesn't mean anything outside Ireland. It does not give you the right to travel freely in the EU. Say, if you travel to Germany with a US passport (which has an Irish Stamp 6 on it), you will be subject to normal immigration controls that would apply to any US citizen... I am not quite sure if there is any use of Stamp 6 other than formal recognition of dual citizenship!

mlawert
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by mlawert » Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:32 pm

Application received: 14/11/21
Documents acknowledged and status moved to verifying: 24/11/21
Estimated Issue date: 25/1/22
Passport received (delivered via post): 4/2/22
It was 2 separate applications for two family members, both had the same timeline.
Thank you very much to every one who posted here, it really helped 🙂 and gave the hope for improvements in the passport queue.
Good luck everyone!!

rox88
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by rox88 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:56 pm

So I got the dreaded further documents needed email (Basically the Garda didn't log the identity verification form into their logbook, not really the passport office's fault). I sent the new form and was able to confirm arrival 12 working days ago but it hasn't reflected on the tracker yet (no new estimated issue date).

Is this normal ? Did anyone else's document take 3+ weeks to reflect on the tracker ?

UncleBud
United States of America

Post by UncleBud » Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:38 pm

pwchwh wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:31 pm

4th Floor
Department of Justice
13-14 Burgh Quay
Dublin 2 D02 XK70
Ireland

After spending years on the FBR and passport boards, I am reluctant to let either passport out of my hands even for an instant! I'll wait until they go back to allowing this to be done in person. In the meantime, I have my Irish passport card as a back-up.

UncleBud
United States of America

Post by UncleBud » Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:49 pm

Korms wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:53 pm
Korms wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:16 am
Hi Folks,

I submitted my first time application (which should be straight forward as I was born in Ireland before 2005) with the following timeline:

08 Oct 21: Application received
03 Nov 21: Processing application
We have received your supporting documents. We are now verifying these documents.
Estimated issue 07 Jan 22

On 06 Jan 22 it changed to:
Processing application

I assume the current Covid situation has created a backlog, so I am debating whether I should get on the webchat and see what the hold up is or how much long should I anticipate the processing to take or just continue to be patient and let it work through....

Anyone have an insight or recommendation?

Thanks in advance
04 Feb. Status changed to Printing!!

Thank goodness, we are travelling on 19 February so just in time!
Congratulations, Korms! Yes, that final step is a nail-biter when it takes weeks! Happy Travels!

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:44 pm

UncleBud wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:38 pm

After spending years on the FBR and passport boards, I am reluctant to let either passport out of my hands even for an instant! I'll wait until they go back to allowing this to be done in person. In the meantime, I have my Irish passport card as a back-up.
Yeah...I sent notarized copies of passport, state ID & SS Card . Wasn't sending my actual passport for any reason. I ordered both the Irish passport book & card . Soon, I'll renew my US passport and order both as well. So I'll wait for new US passport & offices to be opened to get Stamp 6 which then will be good for a decade.

Congrats to Korms!!!

Fbrlad
Aruba

Post by Fbrlad » Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:25 pm

mlawert wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:32 pm
It was 2 separate applications for two family members, both had the same timeline.
Thank you very much to every one who posted here, it really helped 🙂 and gave the hope for improvements in the passport queue.
Good luck everyone!!
Im same exact time as you (first time application).. until now it shows “processing”.. did you get an update after “processing” in the tracker or you just got the passports by mail without update? Last time I contacted them, they told me “pending citizenship entitlement check” since a month but no further update

Fbrlad
Aruba

Post by Fbrlad » Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:32 pm

Just out of curiosity- do they actually contact the witness? My witness is a doctor and I hardly believe he can carry his mobile through his routine job 🤔

Where I live, the panic when you ask any of the listed witnesses to sign on an official paper.. notar says he doesnt know me (they read the paper letter by letter) so they cant sign.. such a dilemma.. witness finding here is harder than meeting the prime minister

mlawert
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by mlawert » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:04 pm

Fbrlad wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:25 pm
mlawert wrote:
Good luck everyone!!
Im same exact time as you (first time application).. until now it shows “processing”.. did you get an update after “processing” in the tracker or you just got the passports by mail without update? Last time I contacted them, they told me “pending citizenship entitlement check” since a month but no further update
In the morning passport just arrived, and I checked the status online right after the arrival- it was still showing “processing”.
Confusing for sure, but looks like they speeded up the process so sometimes skipping updating the status.
Changed to dispatched at the evening of that day ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fbrlad
Aruba

Post by Fbrlad » Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:38 pm

mlawert wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:04 pm
Fbrlad wrote:
mlawert wrote:
Good luck everyone!!
In the morning passport just arrived, and I checked the status online right after the arrival- it was still showing “processing”.
Confusing for sure, but looks like they speeded up the process so sometimes skipping updating the status.
Glad it worked for you.. did they contact your witness? Seems the moment a contact succeeds, they print the passport

Naturalisation2022
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Naturalisation2022 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:00 am

G Dog wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:20 pm
corky100 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:02 am
Personally, I wouldn't chase them asking "where's my passport". There's not much they can say or do. I have noticed (on here and twitter) that people who chase seem to get knocked back for rather silly reasons.
Absolutely. My estimated due date was 14/12, and when it got to 2 weeks overdue I chased it up. They then said I needed to send in 2 proof of ID, (which I had already sent them and they confirmed receipt of). So I had to send in proof of ID again and got sent to the back of the queue again, and now my estimated date is 8/3. Frustratingly, they sent back my original documents, which confirmed that they had everything in the first place. I honestly believe that they asked me for my ID just to be a pain, because I had contacted them about my passport being 2 weeks overdue. Had I not done that, I'd probably have it by now.
I am also in the same situation one day before the due date I got an email that my witness from was not correct and I had to go to the Garda station and ask for a new one to fill out and submit.
How long after sending the additional information did they sent you back the originals. I’d be very happy to get my home country passport back, as I need it to be able to go to the uK. And how did they notify you that they will send you the documents back. Thank you.

G Dog
Ireland

Post by G Dog » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:18 pm

Naturalisation2022 wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:00 am
G Dog wrote:
corky100 wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't chase them asking "where's my passport". There's not much they can say or do. I have noticed (on here and twitter) that people who chase seem to get knocked back for rather silly reasons.
Absolutely. My estimated due date was 14/12, and when it got to 2 weeks overdue I chased it up. They then said I needed to send in 2 proof of ID, (which I had already sent them and they confirmed receipt of). So I had to send in proof of ID again and got sent to the back of the queue again, and now my estimated date is 8/3. Frustratingly, they sent back my original documents, which confirmed that they had everything in the first place. I honestly believe that they asked me for my ID just to be a pain, because I had contacted them about my passport being 2 weeks overdue. Had I not done that, I'd probably have it by now.
I am also in the same situation one day before the due date I got an email that my witness from was not correct and I had to go to the Garda station and ask for a new one to fill out and submit.
How long after sending the additional information did they sent you back the originals. I’d be very happy to get my home country passport back, as I need it to be able to go to the uK. And how did they notify you that they will send you the documents back. Thank you.
After I sent in new proof of ID, they sent back my original documents and passport within a week. Frustratingly, this only confirmed that they did have my ID all along too. Anyway, I'm back in the system and my new issue date is 08/03, so hopefully that goes without a hitch.

Naturalisation2022
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Naturalisation2022 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:25 pm

G Dog wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:18 pm
Naturalisation2022 wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:00 am
G Dog wrote:
corky100 wrote:

I got my original documents back today. I sent my witness form last Monday, but it appears as received on my online tracker yesterday. And today I got my passport / birth certificate. Etc. Back. My new date is in April. But I am fine for now. I have my birth country passport back and I can travel overseas.

After I sent in new proof of ID, they sent back my original documents and passport within a week. Frustratingly, this only confirmed that they did have my ID all along too. Anyway, I'm back in the system and my new issue date is 08/03, so hopefully that goes without a hitch.

walyn1
Newly Registered
European Union

Post by walyn1 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:02 am

Fbrlad wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:38 pm
mlawert wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:04 pm
Fbrlad wrote:
mlawert wrote:
Good luck everyone!!
Glad it worked for you.. did they contact your witness? Seems the moment a contact succeeds, they print the passport
I believe they did contact the witness, I got my supporting documents witnessed in local Dublin Garda.

pluto1992
Ireland

Post by pluto1992 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:33 am

Timeline

1 month 3 weeks 4 days ago
14/12/2021
Alert
We have received your application. You must submit your supporting documents to proceed with the application.

1 month 3 weeks 1 day ago
17/12/2021
Processing application

7/02/2022
Processing application

Fingers crossed that it goes smoothly and no more documents are required.

Wow90
Ireland

Post by Wow90 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:03 pm

Wow90 wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:55 pm
12/12 Application received
15/12 : Supporting documents received according to an post tracking

Update

16/12 Processing application: documents received blah blah . Verifying documents

10/02 Processing application: Your application is being processed

I assume that's a good thing?

Thanks

pluto1992
Ireland

Post by pluto1992 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:14 pm

Wow90 wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:03 pm
Wow90 wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:55 pm
12/12 Application received
15/12 : Supporting documents received according to an post tracking

Update

16/12 Processing application: documents received blah blah . Verifying documents

10/02 Processing application: Your application is being processed

I assume that's a good thing?

Thanks
It is a good thing. Its the next stage but going by earlier feedback, in some instances, people were asked for more documents at this stage and status changed to previous stage which is Verifying documents.

May I ask whats your estimated issue date?

Wow90
Ireland

Post by Wow90 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:11 pm

Spoke too soon.

They are saying my proof of name and proof of address were photocopies...

Which one wasn't and the other one was from an online bill. I have ebill for electricity. This is ridiculous.

Estimated delivery date was 22nd of February.

On the queue of the webchat now. See what happens

pluto1992
Ireland

Post by pluto1992 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:06 pm

Wow90 wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:11 pm
Spoke too soon.

Which one wasn't and the other one was from an online bill. I have ebill for electricity. This is ridiculous.

Sorry to hear that. I had sent them web printouts as well, so I guess I am going to get the same grief from them. How did they get in touch with you? Email?

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:24 pm

Wow90 wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:11 pm
Spoke too soon.

[/quote

I tell everyone to notarize everything with a "...this is a true copy..." statement. Especially internet printouts for bank statements etc... Makes the document processors happy.

I just received an email asking for a new photo. Not a surprise. My photo was cropped from US passport photo. They sent an email with a code & a link to resubmit a new photo within 7 days .
Did it immediately. Tracking showed the "alert" and then back to" processing" after I resubmitted a new photo. Pushed my estimated issue date from 03/02/2022 to 10/02/2022 and now 23/02/2022.

jgclancy

Nre123
Ireland

Post by Nre123 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:21 pm

Nre123 wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:10 pm
Online application received: 8/12/21
Supporting docs received, processing application, verifying documents: TBC
Estimated issue date: TBC

Changed to Processing application: TBC
Passport printing:TBC