ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Using egate with new passport not yet linked to BRP

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

dandm

Using egate with new passport not yet linked to BRP

Post by dandm » Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:53 pm

Hi there,

I’m an ILR holder about to travel outside the U.K. for the first time in 4 years. I’m Australian and I understand when I arrive back in the U.K. I’m now likely to be required to use the egate terminals rather than have my passport manually processed by an immigration officer.

My concern is that I renewed my passport a few years back, so my passport will no longer be linked to my BRP in the system. Will the egate therefore process me as a visitor as it won’t recognise my immigration status?

When my husband entered with a new passport a few years back the immigration officer manually amended his record to link them. I’m worried about my immigration status if I’m processed by an egate in this circumstance and would really appreciate advice. Is it possible to insist on being manually processed?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Using egate with new passport not yet linked to BRP

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:13 pm

I'm sure you can join the queue (which will take longer of course) - also there is or should normally be at least one officer overseeing the egates operation and who would process you if you won't be passed through. Happened to me once but that was because for some reason my passport was not recognised (didn't need ILR at the time).
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

dandm

Post by dandm » Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:22 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:13 pm
I'm sure you can join the queue (which will take longer of course) - also there is or should normally be at least one officer overseeing the egates operation and who would process you if you won't be passed through. Happened to me once but that was because for some reason my passport was not recognised (didn't need ILR at the time).
Thank you, yes, I was wondering about approaching the officer overseeing the egates. I’m pretty sure the egate will let me through, I’m actually concerned that it *will* but will give me visitor status because it doesn’t link my new passport number to my existing BRP/ILR status. Then in 6 months time maybe they’ll come for me as an overstayer. :mrgreen:

I asked my old immigration lawyer a while back if I should inform UKVI of my new passport number and he said no, it was not required when you have ILR.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:35 pm

I'm not sure whether passports are linked to ILR (it is the case for the EU Settlement Scheme) - but understood that what the lawyer was the case, after all you normally receive a BRP.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

dandm

Post by dandm » Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:06 pm

Yes, legally I don’t think they are linked, but from a practical perspective I understand the passport number and BRP number are linked in the border system.

The whole thing would be more straight forward if they required us to update our passport numbers as they do for EU settled status. Although I read that isn’t mandatory either so presumably there are some EU passport holders entering via the egates with new passports in the same situation as me.

Perhaps the egates are able to identify us ILR holders via biometric matching or something. But that sounds too sophisticated! :D

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:42 am

dandm wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:06 pm
Yes, legally I don’t think they are linked, but from a practical perspective I understand the passport number and BRP number are linked in the border system.

The whole thing would be more straight forward if they required us to update our passport numbers as they do for EU settled status. Although I read that isn’t mandatory either so presumably there are some EU passport holders entering via the egates with new passports in the same situation as me.

Perhaps the egates are able to identify us ILR holders via biometric matching or something. But that sounds too sophisticated! :D
If you have this concern you may want to explore the earlier solution from @alterhase58 to use the queue for other passports or approach the person who is overseeing the e-gate.