ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Refugee got Emergency in home country

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Rubabakhtar5
Pakistan

Refugee got Emergency in home country

Post by Rubabakhtar5 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:32 pm

Dear members

I am refugee and my father is seriously ill. Doctors are saying he hasn't got much time. I want see my father but because of refugee status I can't travel to my home country.
I came to know via this forum that I can make a request to Home Office for permission to visit my father(who is in my home country).
But I don't know where should I contact or write to apply or request for visiting my home country.
Please if anyone has knowledge about it, share with me. I am really feeling desperate and need your guidance

ywlgy
United Kingdom

Re: Refugee got Emergency in home country

Post by ywlgy » Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:09 pm

Travelling back to home country can lead to revocation of your refugee status.
DISCLAIMER: Advice given is based on my past experience and/or my interpretation of Immigration Rules and UKVI documents.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:27 pm

Rubabakhtar5 wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:32 pm
Dear members

I am refugee and my father is seriously ill. Doctors are saying he hasn't got much time. I want see my father but because of refugee status I can't travel to my home country.
I came to know via this forum that I can make a request to Home Office for permission to visit my father(who is in my home country). Can you make a pointer to the post that suggest this?
But I don't know where should I contact or write to apply or request for visiting my home country. No idea if there is any arrangements for such.
Please if anyone has knowledge about it, share with me. I am really feeling desperate and need your guidance
If one can visit their home country then they do not require refugee/humanitarian protection.

London22
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by London22 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:58 pm

Rubabakhtar5 wrote:
Dear members

I came to know via this forum that I can make a request to Home Office for permission to visit my father(who is in my home country).
But I don't know where should I contact or write to apply or request for visiting my home country.
Hello
You can travel to your home country in compelling & compassionate circumstances ,and your situation is compelling ,hence there will be no issue of refugee status revocation.This I'm telling you from UN's refugee convention handbook & also in home office's guidance .Some people are so naive to understand this & just misguide others .
If you have home country's passport then just travel on it & explain all when returning.If don't have passport but home office is keeping it ,request them to let you use it for emergency circumstances.
Do not worry .Take your steps
Goodluck

ywlgy
United Kingdom

Post by ywlgy » Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:46 pm

London22 wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:58 pm
Rubabakhtar5 wrote:
Dear members

Hello
You can travel to your home country in compelling & compassionate circumstances ,and your situation is compelling ,hence there will be no issue of refugee status revocation.This I'm telling you from UN's refugee convention handbook & also in home office's guidance .Some people are so naive to understand this & just misguide others .
If you have home country's passport then just travel on it & explain all when returning.If don't have passport but home office is keeping it ,request them to let you use it for emergency circumstances.
Goodluck
why don't you share the home office guidance link to educate the naive people?
DISCLAIMER: Advice given is based on my past experience and/or my interpretation of Immigration Rules and UKVI documents.

nollydolly
Newly Registered

Post by nollydolly » Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:20 pm

London22 wrote:
Rubabakhtar5 wrote:
Dear members

Hello
Goodluck
Can you provide a link to the home office guidance that you described above?

I suspect you have just made it up however happy to be corrected.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:44 pm

A quick Google search brings up these resources. Note that all of them date back to 2016-17.
Settlement for people on a protection route (refugee status / humanitarian protection) wrote: (Page 21)
Evidence that a dependant travelled home or obtained a national passport
Where a dependant granted leave in-line has obtained a national passport, the case must be referred to the Travel Documents Team to consider whether cancellation of any Home Office issued travel document is appropriate.

Referring cases
If one or more of the scenarios in this section applies, the case must be referred to the Status Review Unit (SRU) (or relevant unit) to consider whether it is appropriate to revoke protection status, in accordance with the published Home Office policy instructions on Revocation of Refugee Status, Exclusion (Article 1F) and Article 33(2) or Humanitarian Protection.
Asylum policy instruction: Revocation of refugee status wrote: (Page 13)
3.4 Triggers that lead to a review of refugee status
Return to country of origin or obtaining a passport
This will usually indicate voluntary re-availment and may lead to revocation under Paragraph 339A(i)-(vi).
(Page 24)
Compassionate circumstances
Refugees are entitled to apply for a Refugee Convention Travel Document (CTD). If a refugee holds a national passport when they are granted refugee status, this will be retained by the Travel Documents Section (TDS) when a CTD is issued. Persons accepted as refugees in the UK cannot hold both a CTD and their own national passport. If a refugee wants their national passport back and if they chose to travel on their own national passport, their case will be reviewed and they would be in danger of losing their refugee status. TDS will consider returning the refugees national passport in certain exceptional circumstances where a refugee makes such a request, however, they would first have to return any CTD they hold. It is expected that the length of the visit will be consistent with the purpose of that visit and the individual should be informed of this when their passport is returned to them.
As mentioned, the documents listed above date from 2016-17. Perhaps @London22 may have links to a more up-to-date version of these and other documents.

To the OP: I am sorry that you find yourself in this situation. But when you applied as a refugee, you represented that you were unsafe in your country of origin and had to flee.

If you can safely return, that can mean either that you lied during your initial application or that the situation in your country of origin has changed sufficiently for you to be there safely, which means that you no longer need to be a refugee.

If neither of those conditions are true, you may have to look at bidding farewell to your father by Zoom, as many British families did during the Covid lockdowns.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Rubabakhtar5
Pakistan

Post by Rubabakhtar5 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:18 pm

Thank you so much
But where should I contact?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:27 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:44 pm
A quick Google search brings up these resources. Note that all of them date back to 2016-17.
Settlement for people on a protection route (refugee status / humanitarian protection) wrote: (Page 21)
Evidence that a dependant travelled home or obtained a national passport
Where a dependant granted leave in-line has obtained a national passport, the case must be referred to the Travel Documents Team to consider whether cancellation of any Home Office issued travel document is appropriate.

Referring cases
If one or more of the scenarios in this section applies, the case must be referred to the Status Review Unit (SRU) (or relevant unit) to consider whether it is appropriate to revoke protection status, in accordance with the published Home Office policy instructions on Revocation of Refugee Status, Exclusion (Article 1F) and Article 33(2) or Humanitarian Protection.
Asylum policy instruction: Revocation of refugee status wrote: (Page 13)
3.4 Triggers that lead to a review of refugee status
Return to country of origin or obtaining a passport
This will usually indicate voluntary re-availment and may lead to revocation under Paragraph 339A(i)-(vi).
(Page 24)
Compassionate circumstances
Refugees are entitled to apply for a Refugee Convention Travel Document (CTD). If a refugee holds a national passport when they are granted refugee status, this will be retained by the Travel Documents Section (TDS) when a CTD is issued. Persons accepted as refugees in the UK cannot hold both a CTD and their own national passport. If a refugee wants their national passport back and if they chose to travel on their own national passport, their case will be reviewed and they would be in danger of losing their refugee status. TDS will consider returning the refugees national passport in certain exceptional circumstances where a refugee makes such a request, however, they would first have to return any CTD they hold. It is expected that the length of the visit will be consistent with the purpose of that visit and the individual should be informed of this when their passport is returned to them.
As mentioned, the documents listed above date from 2016-17. Perhaps @London22 may have links to a more up-to-date version of these and other documents.

To the OP: I am sorry that you find yourself in this situation. But when you applied as a refugee, you represented that you were unsafe in your country of origin and had to flee.

If you can safely return, that can mean either that you lied during your initial application or that the situation in your country of origin has changed sufficiently for you to be there safely, which means that you no longer need to be a refugee. This is my understanding however limited. Even BC got revoked when was found out within period of being a refugee/claiming asylum or thereabouts the person went visiting home country.

If neither of those conditions are true, you may have to look at bidding farewell to your father by Zoom, as many British families did during the Covid lockdowns.

London22
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by London22 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:40 pm

London22 wrote:
Rubabakhtar5 wrote:
Dear members

Hello
Goodluck
Can anyone explain what it means by compassionate circumstances? Obviously if every refugee returns to their home countries revocation can be applied but those specific individuals who have exceptional or compassionate circumstances return to home countries for valid reason for very short time doesn't automatically revoke refugee status.Please read UN refugees convention 1953 & its latest handbook .