ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Are children born abroad eligible for naturalisation (without ILR route) if father gets british citizen & mother on ILR?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

pavanboya29
Newly Registered
India

Are children born abroad eligible for naturalisation (without ILR route) if father gets british citizen & mother on ILR?

Post by pavanboya29 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:02 pm

Hi All,

Please respond to my query if you have any experience with this.
I need some clarification on applying the British Naturalisation and ILR process. Both Children are born outside of UK.

I'm (father) currently on ILR (via Tier 2 General 5 year), will be applying for British Naturalisation this month.

My wife and 2 children are on PBS dependant visa and completed 6 years (with an extension, valid till Nov 2022), so they are all eligible for ILR (Indefinite Leave to Remain).

1. I will apply for British Naturalisation this month followed by the passport process.
2. Can my wife only apply for ILR first?
3. Once I receive citizenship and wife gets ILR, are my children (10 yrs and 7 yrs old) directly apply for british naturalisation, instead of ILR route. This will save at least £5000 to me. If so, please let me know rule.

Appreciate any support in this regard.

Many Thanks.
Pavan.

secret.simon

Re: Are children born abroad eligible for naturalisation (without ILR route) if father gets british citizen & mother on

Post by secret.simon » Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:02 pm

pavanboya29 wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:02 pm
2. Can my wife only apply for ILR first?
She would have to apply for ILR first, as she will need ILR to naturalise as a British citizen, if she wishes to.
pavanboya29 wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:02 pm
3. Once I receive citizenship and wife gets ILR, are my children (10 yrs and 7 yrs old) directly apply for british naturalisation, instead of ILR route. This will save at least £5000 to me. If so, please let me know rule.
Also see this thread.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

pavanboya29
Newly Registered
India

Re: Are children born abroad eligible for naturalisation (without ILR route) if father gets british citizen & mother on

Post by pavanboya29 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:17 am

Thank you for the response Simon. I will go through these and take a decision. Much appreciated.

ToughLeo
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ToughLeo » Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:36 am

I was in a similar situation few months ago. my child was born in India and was on dependent visa until Nov-21 along with my wife. I naturalised as British few years ago. My wife got her ILR in Oct-21, as I applied only for her without applying for my child. As soon as she got her ILR, I applied for my child's registration as British under Section 3(1) at discretion of Home secretary, which was successful. There have been few successful cases like these before me, hence I took a chance and applied. My experience was good and timelines have been surprisingly very quick. It took exactly 4 weeks from his biometrics enrolled to approval date.

vnr912
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by vnr912 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:14 pm

ToughLeo wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:36 am
I was in a similar situation few months ago. my child was born in India and was on dependent visa until Nov-21 along with my wife. I naturalised as British few years ago. My wife got her ILR in Oct-21, as I applied only for her without applying for my child. As soon as she got her ILR, I applied for my child's registration as British under Section 3(1) at discretion of Home secretary, which was successful. There have been few successful cases like these before me, hence I took a chance and applied. My experience was good and timelines have been surprisingly very quick. It took exactly 4 weeks from his biometrics enrolled to approval date.
Hi
I have the same scenario. I am british citizen and my wife got ILR recently.
My children 14 and 12 yrs old 5 yrs comepleted in UK.
I was applied for citizenship and biometrics are in due end of this month to my children, but selected the option applying one of the parent for british citizenship.
Is that option also okay? or do we want me cancel and reapply the application for cirizenship to my children?
Please suggest on this ?

vnr912
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by vnr912 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:17 am

vnr912 wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:14 pm
ToughLeo wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:36 am
Hi
I have the same scenario. I am british citizen and my wife got ILR recently.
My children 14 and 12 yrs old 5 yrs comepleted in UK.
I was applied for citizenship and biometrics are in due end of this month to my children, but selected the option applying one of the parent for british citizenship.
Is that option also okay? or do we want me cancel and reapply the application for cirizenship to my children?
Please suggest on this ?
I was selected the below option ---
Question:
Choose which category to apply under. You are a child under 18 and:
Answer:
You were born outside the UK
One or both of your parents is applying for British citizenship

Please comment on this if this is the wrong, can we cancel and reapply ?

vnr912
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by vnr912 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:57 pm

Children born abroad eligible for naturalisation (without ILR route) if father gets british citizen & mother on Settled Status.

I have given Biometrics on 29/06/2022 and got Naturalisation certificate on 07/07/2022 for my 2 children without ILR under rule 3(1).

I was selected the below option ---
Question:
Choose which category to apply under. You are a child under 18 and:
Answer:
You were born outside the UK
One or both of your parents is applying for British citizenship

Next Question -- Any one of your parent applying citizenship with this application -- NO