ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Referee - Professional Standing Query

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Rishneo
Newly Registered
India

Referee - Professional Standing Query

Post by Rishneo » Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:34 pm

Hi,

I am an UK resident with ILR and in the process of applying for British citizenship and concerned that I do not have a referee of professional standing (as required in the professional standing list) resident in the UK.

1. Is it acceptable if the referee of ''professional standing'' is not a British and doesn't live in the UK either?

2. If that is not allowed then would my manager i.e. a director in a Big4 firm in the UK acceptable?

Thanks,

HCJNL
United Kingdom

Re: Referee - Professional Standing Query

Post by HCJNL » Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:46 pm

The referee of professional standing does not need to be British. The other one does. Neither needs to live in the UK.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... Guide_.pdf

Rishneo
Newly Registered
India

Post by Rishneo » Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:08 pm

Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated.
So that I have my understanding correct: A referee with professional standing e.g. a Dentist can be a resident in India but they have known me for a number of years?

The other one I have is a British national so that is fine.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:39 pm

HCJNL wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:46 pm
Neither needs to live in the UK.
I disagree. I think the default expectation is that the professional referee at the very least is resident in the UK and registered with the relevant professional body in the UK.
Nationality Policy: general information – all British nationals wrote:(Page 10) Where the applicant is living outside of the UK and does not know a British citizen passport holder who is a professional or over the age of 25, a Commonwealth citizen or a citizen of the country in which they are residing may complete and sign the form providing they meet the other requirements and the consul considers their signature to be acceptable.
The underlined section of the extract above suggests that it is an exception and implies that the rule is for the referees to be resident in the UK.

The way I would read the above is that the professional referee can be of any nationality, but resident in and regulated by a UK professional body.

In a post just yesterday, I gave some thoughts on why the requirements for referees are so specific.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Rishneo
Newly Registered
India

Post by Rishneo » Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:54 pm

Thanks Simon. If I take your steer then I won't be able to use the Dentist friend in India.

Would my manager i.e. a director in a Big4 firm (i.e. a LLP) in the UK acceptable as professional?

I have looked at the list of professionals but unable to figure out if a Director of a LLP company is allowed.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:21 pm

Presumably the Big 4 LLP firm is VAT-registered. If so, then I believe that such a person is acceptable as a referee.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

HCJNL
United Kingdom

Post by HCJNL » Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:29 pm

Actually there was another discussion here on this very point recently.
british-citizenship/help-please-referee ... l#p2052202
What I think is certain is that the combination British Citizen/British Residence and (for the professional referee) British Qualifications is best to ensure quick processing by the Home Office.