ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child under 18 Registration as a British citizen

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ss32
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Child under 18 Registration as a British citizen

Post by ss32 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:49 pm

Hello,
Hope you guys r well and staying safe. I have a query regarding the registration of my child as a British citizen who is under 18. She was born in December 2020. At that time both me and my wife didn't have settlement status. I am currently on a student visa. This month my wife got ILR, hence we decided to register our child as a British citizen using the MN1 form. The online form asks about the current nationality of the child. Me and my wife are Pakistani nationals but we haven't registered our daughter at the Pakistan high commission in uk as a pakistani national. She doesn't have a pakistani passport or ID. She was born here and we want her first nationality to be British. The issue I'm facing is that the online form asks about the current nationality of the child. But at the moment she hasn't got any nationality. There is an option in the online form named 'Officially Stateless'. What shall I put in the current nationality? I'll be thankful if any of the members can entertain my query. Thanks
Best regards

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Child under 18 Registration as a British citizen

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:08 pm

Not an expert in Pakistani citizenship law but this reference says:
"Children born overseas are automatically Pakistani citizens by descent if either parent is a citizen otherwise than by descent or is employed by the government of Pakistan. ... Citizenship is then granted on their arrival in Pakistan.
Enacted by: Constituent Assembly of Pakistan"
So child is not stateless and it's likely to be a dual citizen.
A child born in the UK is not automatically a British citizen.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

ss32
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ss32 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:48 am

@alterhase58 Thanks very much for your response. So with my child having no passport or ID at the moment, what should I mention in current nationality of the MN1 form? My child only has birth certificate issued by the local council.

Thanks
Best regards

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:27 pm

It is not a requirement of the application for the child to have a passport.

Note this section from the MN1 guidance issued by UKVI (page 23):
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... -Jul19.pdf

"Evidence of identity
Either:
• Child’s passport or travel document
• Child’s birth certificate, showing the parents’ names
• Driving licence
• Bank, building society or credit card statement issued to them in the last 6"

For nationality I would state "Pakistani" - it won't affect the entitlement to register.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.