ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Who should I remarry legally ?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

champpan
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Who should I remarry legally ?

Post by champpan » Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:46 pm

Hello Members
I am in a bit bizarre situation as I am planning to marry a woman who happened to be my cousin’s wife ( now they are in the process of divorce)
My question is - is it a legal in uk to marry your cousins spouse ? Of course after they fully get divorced. as me and my cousin share the same family names, will there be any clarification I need to present?
Can you please share your information on this as I can’t find in home office website.
Many Thanks

secret.simon

Re: Who should I remarry legally ?

Post by secret.simon » Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:29 pm

You can marry your cousins in the UK, so you can definitely marry your cousin's ex-wife (though it will make for some very uncomfortable family get-togethers).

First Schedule of the Marriage Act 1949: Prohibited degrees of relationship.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

champpan
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by champpan » Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:55 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:29 pm
You can marry your cousins in the UK, so you can definitely marry your cousin's ex-wife (though it will make for some very uncomfortable family get-togethers).

First Schedule of the Marriage Act 1949: Prohibited degrees of relationship.
Thanks for your reply, I completely understand your point, but it’s what it’s ☹️, although I will be marrying her abroad, so would I expect that home office have no concerns with that as my future wife would come with her child to join me in UK . I really appreciate your help.

champpan
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by champpan » Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:32 pm

Still looking for some light in this

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:05 pm

If you are marrying your cousin's ex-wife abroad, then the UK will recognise the marriage if it is (a) legal in the jurisdiction that the two of you wed in and (b) both of you are "free to marry" at the time of your marriage (i.e. nether of you have any other spouse at the time of the marriage).
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.