ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Traveling on non-UK passport after becoming a UK citizen

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

George111
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Traveling on non-UK passport after becoming a UK citizen

Post by George111 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:34 pm

Here is a proposed sticky:

If you recently became a British citizen holding a Citizenship Certificate but have yet received a British passport (irrespective if you applied for one yet or not), here is what you need to remember:

1. You can travel OUT of the UK without any restrictions, as long as you have means of entering your destination (visa, foreign passport etc.)

2. You can come back to the UK without a British passport provided that:
- You have a foreign passport that allows you to enter the UK without a visa
- You take with you your British citizenship certificate and present it to the border force officer and explain that you are British

3. If you have a foreign passport that requires a visa to enter the UK, you cannot travel back to the UK because the airlines will not accept a Citizenship Certificate as a valid document. The only possible exception to this would be traveling from Ireland via a ferry, but this is theoretical and there has been no reports of anybody actually doing this.

Some people also use e-gates, if you have an eligible passport, although it's unclear if it can cause any issues with being flagged as an overstayer later.

Anotherhustler4vis
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Traveling on non-UK passport after becoming a UK citizen

Post by Anotherhustler4vis » Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:58 pm

One of the supporting documents required for British passport application is a current passport (which is needed for traveling abroad). Please could you advise how could one travel OUT without one? (Not challenging your post here, only want to know how I could practically travel out once I send my current passport and naturalisation certificate in for passport application).

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:59 pm

Anotherhustler4vis wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:58 pm
One of the supporting documents required for British passport application is a current passport (which is needed for traveling abroad). Please could you advise how could one travel OUT without one? (Not challenging your post here, only want to know how I could practically travel out once I send my current passport and naturalisation certificate in for passport application).
You can't - in point 1 OP does say foreign passport ....
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Anotherhustler4vis
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Anotherhustler4vis » Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:32 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:59 pm
You can't - in point 1 OP does say foreign passport ....
I do mean a foreign passport (which is needed to travel out)

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:50 pm

Some countries (mine, for example) allow its citizens to have two passports, so that might be the case.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

vaa
Newly Registered
Bulgaria

Post by vaa » Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:04 pm

As far as I've read EU nationals that have (pre-)settled status can in theory still travel with their national IDs until 2025, of course only to and from EU. Unless I've misinterpreted the entry requirements...

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:29 pm

George111 wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:34 pm
The only possible exception to this would be traveling from Ireland via a ferry, but this is theoretical and there has been no reports of anybody actually doing this.
I actually entered from the Republic of Ireland via airplane the first time I arrived in the UK back in 2009. I am Colombian, which is a visa-required country, and back in the day, a very problematic passport to have. I was all ready to show my shiny student visa when I landed at Heathrow, it was a big deal, first time in the UK and everything, so I was super excited...

...What an anticlimax!!! I walked from the airplane gate straight to arrivals with no one stopping me once. It's basically a domestic flight. I've flown from the Republic of Ireland into Heathrow a few times since, and the same thing has always happened.

I understand that as per the Good Friday agreement border checks within the common travel area are simply forbidden (but anyone can correct me if I'm mistaken).
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

Anotherhustler4vis
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Anotherhustler4vis » Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:43 am

meself2 wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:50 pm
Some countries (mine, for example) allow its citizens to have two passports, so that might be the case.
I also a dual-passports holder but I understand that the supporting doc requirements do ask for all uncanceled passport(s), which means to send in both if in possession of two?

migrant_uk
Pakistan

Post by migrant_uk » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:34 am

As per my understanding, one cannot enter the UK using BRP or a certificate of British citizenship. Please see https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-in ... ertificate. The only options are a Passport or the Right to Abode.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:19 am

migrant_uk wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:34 am
As per my understanding, one cannot enter the UK using BRP or a certificate of British citizenship. Please see https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-in ... ertificate. The only options are a Passport or the Right to Abode.
The OP did say to bring along a valid foreign passport:
George111 wrote:
2. You can come back to the UK without a British passport provided that:
- You have a foreign passport that allows you to enter the UK without a visa
- You take with you your British citizenship certificate and present it to the border force officer and explain that you are British
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

migrant_uk
Pakistan

Post by migrant_uk » Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:39 am

Does this mean that if I am holding a foreign passport and citizenship certificate I can travel back to the UK from overseas (Asia)?

I have got an invitation to the citizenship ceremony but do not have enough time to get UK Passport before my next travel for work. If I attend before I travel, this means that my ILR BRP would not be valid anymore. I was thinking to request the council to rearrange the ceremony to a later date. However, the post here implies that I could travel back to the UK with a foreign passport and my citizenship certificate with me. Is that right?

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:48 am

migrant_uk wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:39 am
the post here implies that I could travel back to the UK with a foreign passport and my citizenship certificate with me. Is that right?
You are reading half of the sentence. It does say a foreign passport that allows you to enter the UK without a visa.

migrant_uk
Pakistan

Post by migrant_uk » Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:01 am

I agree but what about the second sentence "- You take with you your British citizenship certificate and present it to the border force officer and explain that you are British".

If one has a foreign passport with a visa, they would not need the citizenship certificate anyway to enter the UK. So, my query is on traveling back to the UK after becoming British Citizen but before getting the UK travel document.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:03 am

migrant_uk wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:01 am
If one has a foreign passport with a visa, they would not need the citizenship certificate anyway to enter the UK. So, my query is on traveling back to the UK after becoming British Citizen but before getting the UK travel document.
Please, please, please, read people's entire posts. The OP does say:
George111 wrote:
3. If you have a foreign passport that requires a visa to enter the UK, you cannot travel back to the UK because the airlines will not accept a Citizenship Certificate as a valid document.

kiss300
Member of Standing
Mood:
Ghana

Post by kiss300 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:45 pm

Hi,

Help is needed.

I have received my British citizenship certificate and want to apply for British passport. I am I have a cancelled passport since I renewed it. Can I used that cancelled passport as supporting document for applying the British passport since I will be travelling and would be needing my current passport.

migrant_uk
Pakistan

Post by migrant_uk » Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:47 pm

How will you travel back to the UK? Does your current passport allow visa-free travel to the UK?

kiss300
Member of Standing
Mood:
Ghana

Post by kiss300 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:56 pm

No. I have my indefinite residence Card and I recently renewed my passport.

migrant_uk
Pakistan

Post by migrant_uk » Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:59 pm

Once you accept a citizenship certificate, the ILR BRP can not be used anymore (as far as I am aware).

kiss300
Member of Standing
Mood:
Ghana

Post by kiss300 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:08 pm

migrant_uk wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:59 pm
Once you accept a citizenship certificate, the ILR BRP can not be used anymore (as far as I am aware).
I have no idea

researcher149
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by researcher149 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:11 pm

migrant_uk wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:59 pm
Can you please give an update on your final decision because I can foresee a similar problem for me? Not sure if applying for a British passport from Pakistan will be a good option?

migrant_uk
Pakistan

Post by migrant_uk » Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:38 pm

I have contacted council with a request to reschedule the citizenship ceremony

kera
Newly Registered

Post by kera » Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:55 am

Useful topic, thank you.
I was wondering if a person can attend a citizenship ceremony, get the certificate, apply for passport, fly out of the UK and get someone to send the passport abroad?

researcher149
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by researcher149 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:39 am

migrant_uk wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:38 pm
I have contacted council with a request to reschedule the citizenship ceremony
Thanks for the update.

researcher149
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by researcher149 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:41 am

kera wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:55 am
Useful topic, thank you.
I was wondering if a person can attend a citizenship ceremony, get the certificate, apply for passport, fly out of the UK and get someone to send the passport abroad?
As part of applying for new British passport, you are required to submit your current foriegn (dual passport). Thus, you cannot travel to the other country without a valid passport.

strong_and_stable
Cook Islands

Post by strong_and_stable » Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:53 pm

researcher149 wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:41 am
As part of applying for new British passport, you are required to submit your current foriegn (dual passport). Thus, you cannot travel to the other country without a valid passport.
This isn't true. First, HMPO is often willing to accept a photocopy of your foreign passport if you provide a reasonable justification. Second, even if you send off your foreign passport, many countries issue emergency travel documents that allow you to fly without the passport you submitted to HMPO.

I'm due to travel soon with an outstanding passport application. However, my second nationality is non-visa. Will give everyone in this thread an update next week.
"Strong and stable government in the national interest" -Theresa May, Home Secretary (2010-2016)