ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Born abroad and adopted under Irish law.

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mrbojangles

Re: Born abroad and adopted under Irish law.

Post by mrbojangles » Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:36 am

Thanks meself2, but I'm still unable to send Corky100 a private message. Maybe he can send me one? But maybe I can't then reply?

Anyway, I think I'm in exactly the same position as you Corky. Sorry, I've been a little bit cagey about full disclosure on a public forum. My biological mother is Irish-born. But I believe that the effect of the adoption is to legally break my connection to her and to graft me on to my adoptive parents family tree instead for these purposes (and just about all others).⁷

Focusing on my adoptive family then, my adoptive mother is Irish by descent. She was UK-born, but her mother was Irish-born. I was adopted by her (and her British husband) in the UK. So you and I are in the same position I think, except for me though my adoptive mother, not father. And in terms of paperwork, I do have a RICA certificate, but my adoptive mother never had an Irish passport, although was Irish from birth due to s.7 INCA.

G Dog
Ireland

Post by G Dog » Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:59 am

corky100 wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:26 am
If I understand your previous post history correctly, you were born by an Irish born mother and adopted by British parents. I am applying on the basis of my adoptive parents so I am in a completely different boat to yourself.
My own situation is that I was born in UK and adopted by UK parents. My birth mother was an Irish born citizen. I was advised to apply for a passport, and send in all the usual information, along with my birth mother's birth certificate and my adoption court order. Everything seems to be progressing well, and my estimated issue date is March 8. I'll let you know how it progresses.

jojo1752
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by jojo1752 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:02 pm

corky100 wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:29 pm
Hi,

Based on the posts by Valiant24 here, and on the article below, I applied for a passport based on "Born abroad and adopted under Irish law."

ireland/foreign-birth-registration-t277 ... l#p1871593

Solicitor weblink removed by moderator

I got knocked back for citizenship documents (I expected that), but web-chat are insistent I go through FBR!?!?!? I'm sure the checker knows about it, but web chat are having none of it.

Any Ideas?

"As per earlier in the thread, I did apply for FBR believing this to be the case, but my FBR was rejected (after a 1y 4m wait!) because as an adoptee I did not qualify for FBR in the same way that a natural-born child would have done."

"In any case, I did have now received my passport, without the need for FBR, by submitting proof of my adoptive Irish-born grandmother's birth; proof of my UK-born adoptive mother's birth to her; and my adoption order. "

corky100
United Kingdom

Post by corky100 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:01 pm

jojo1752, very useful....errrr.....thanks

mrbojangles - you have two routes, I get why you have chosen that path.

G Dog, you're in a totally different boat, but I am curious as to what category you applied under? "Born abroad to an Irish-born parent " ?

corky100
United Kingdom

Post by corky100 » Fri May 20, 2022 1:39 pm

I'm posting this to help anybody in the future, in the same boat, who stumbles across this thread.........

My application was successful and my Irish passport is on my desk :)

The documents I used for proof of citizenship were:-

RICA Certificate from the Adoption Authority of Ireland.
UK Adoption Certificate from the GRO
Fathers UK Birth Certificate
Grandfathers Irish Birth Certificate.

I did not send my fathers Irish passport issued before my adoption, as it didn't exist.

G Dog
Ireland

Post by G Dog » Sat May 21, 2022 8:05 am

Congrats....my application is still in process, with an estimated issue date of 01/06.

My original application was cancelled on 04/04, as firstly it had expired due to length of time in the system, and secondly they said I had sent a photocopy of my adoption court order (it was the original copy from 1971). They advised that my application would have been successful had I sent the original.

I reapplied and this time I sent in a certified copy of the adoption court order, along with original copies of my birth certificate, adoption certificate, and birth mother's birth certificate. Hopefully all is in order now, and your post has given me a much needed boost of confidence.

mrbojangles

Post by mrbojangles » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:21 pm

Hi all,

After a bit of to-ing and fro-ing I've got an Irish passport! This thread has been really useful to me, especially the posts and additional help from Corky100, who has been a diamond, so in a spirit of sharing the love around here's some information about my application in case it helps anyone (much of it scattered in earlier posts, but brought together here).

I have an Irish-born grandmother through adoption. Her daughter, my adoptive mother, was born in the UK (so she is Irish via s.7 INCA), and I was born and adopted in the UK in 1969.

Because I have an Irish-born grandparent (albeit adopted) I started down the FBR route, but was advised by one of the staff there that as an adopted person I did not need to apply for citizenship in that way, and that I was already Irish through s.11 INCA. On closer inspection of the Act I realised that this is true. It still seems odd to me that someone adopted by a s.7 Irish citizen (ie not born in Ireland) is in a better position than a biological child of that same person, but I wasn't going to argue. This route required me first to register the UK adoption on the Irish Register of Intercountry Adoptions, but that was very straightforward. And of course it saves €270 and two-year delay of applying for FBR.

So here is what I sent in support of the passport application:

• My adoption certificate
• A certified copy of my UK passport
• Proof of name and address
• My intercountry adoption certificate
• The UK birth certificate of my adoptive mother
• The Irish birth certificate of her mother
• The marriage certificate of my adoptive mother and father
• The marriage certificate of my adoptive grandmother

I did not need the adoption order (made by the judge) at any stage, which is just as well as I don't have the original, and it seems like it would be just about impossible to obtain now. The adoption certificate (issued by the GRO) was enough.

And although the DFA website suggested that I needed my adoptive mother's Irish passport from the time of my adoption in 1969 (non-existent!) they did accept the chain of birth and marriage certificates set out above as proof that she is Irish via s.7 INCA.

I hope that helps anyone going down the same path.

(And bollocks to brexit).

Mr B