ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NTL application after job offer.

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Pumblechook
Newly Registered
European Union

NTL application after job offer.

Post by Pumblechook » Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:24 pm

Hello.

Worrying times!

I have had ILR since 2000. It is endorsed in an old passport. Never had a single issue working in the UK ever. I left my previous job of 3 years in Dec 21 and got an offer in early feb 22 for a start in early March …. I have Accepted

Sent all my stuff in and theY say that the ILR letter, 2 passports ( one with ILR endorsement ), P45 and proof of address utility bill is not enough. That I require a BRP.

I have applied for the NTL BRP ( IT TAKES SIX MONTHS ). I paid fee but there are no appointments to do biometrics (BAD START) I got an auto-reply saying that I can’t get any appointments till they (UKVACS) contacts me again.. they are considering that I should use the App!

1. Am I to understand that I now have no right to work in the UK for the next six months? The employer have said that they will move my start date, but six months without work after 22 years in employment for a piece of plastic (Which won’t even be useful for right to work check from April 22nd) to prove something I already have is crazy.
2 I understand that there is a online checking service that employers can use. Is there also a number they can call? Can I direct them to this number. How can I prove my right to work without BRP ?
3 . SIX MONTHS WITHOUT WORK IS DEVASTATING. how can I avoid this ?

ywlgy
United Kingdom

Re: NTL application after job offer.

Post by ywlgy » Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:11 pm

You have right to work. They just need to use the employer checking service https://www.gov.uk/employee-immigration ... ent-status
DISCLAIMER: Advice given is based on my past experience and/or my interpretation of Immigration Rules and UKVI documents.

Pumblechook
Newly Registered
European Union

Post by Pumblechook » Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:19 am

Thanks. I sent them that link last week.

How long does it take to check . I heard 5 - 20 days !

Pumblechook
Newly Registered
European Union

Post by Pumblechook » Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:05 pm

ywlgy wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:11 pm
You have right to work. They just need to use the employer checking service https://www.gov.uk/employee-immigration ... ent-status
Thank you for the response.
I am sure it’s nothing to worry about but I am concerned about this EMPLOYER CHECKING SERVICE.
I have given in the Unique Application Number when I applied for NTL BRP.

WHAT IF THE ECS COMES up negative verification?
Where is the data referenced?
I have my original caseworker letter from IND ( IMMIGRATION AND NATIONALITY DIRECTORATE) ETC.

I just cannot be out of work!

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:47 pm

This has been the case for years now. You should have applied for a BRP years ago.
Since the Immigration Act 2014 came into force, you need a valid BRP to officially prove your immigration status for employment and use of public services. This means you need it for any new employment, to rent a place, to open a bank account, to use the NHS or get a driving license. No sticker or paper is issued for settled status anymore. The employer checking service is your way out for now until you get your BRP.

Why would your ECS be negative ??
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Pumblechook
Newly Registered
European Union

Post by Pumblechook » Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:04 am

Zimba wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:47 pm
This has been the case for years now. You should have applied for a BRP years ago.
Since the Immigration Act 2014 came into force, you need a valid BRP to officially prove your immigration status for employment and use of public services. This means you need it for any new employment, to rent a place, to open a bank account, to use the NHS or get a driving license. No sticker or paper is issued for settled status anymore. The employer checking service is your way out for now until you get your BRP.

Why would your ECS be negative ??
Why would my ECS be negative? I am basically a worrier …. There could be a fault in the system, my new employers (they have been very nice) have given me the impression that although they are following the guidelines and such, and may have come across this issue before, I was the one who had to point out this ECS to them having scrambled around to get to grips with the process myself. They may have ticked the wrong options on the ECS questioner. For a myriad of reasons, someone like me who has never had a problem travelling or getting jobs using 2 passports is suddenly then told that thiose forms of ID are now void (at least for getting a new job) .

I honestly did not know about BRP’s and NTL’S and I have spoken to several advisers at the home office in the last 2 days (while I was reeling and getting to grips with all of this) and they say that my query comes up time and time again and That it is pretty much one of the top queries they have had to deal with . I am not the only one. There are vast swathes of us ILR holders who would not have found out about this until quite recently. I have managed to open bank accounts, I have changed jobs 3 times since 2014. I have travelled away and back 15 times and not a dickie bird until after I accepted this recent job.

Pumblechook
Newly Registered
European Union

Post by Pumblechook » Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:12 am

Since 2014 I have also changed address twice…. I rent . The estate agents never mentioned a biometric pass. I worked in finance at the time and there was a more than basic background check conducted in my new job at the time of moving in 2017 and … nothing. It all went smoothly

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:43 am

The problem seems to be that your ILR endorsment is in an old passport and the guide requires a current document with endorsment

Here is the guide the employers follow to check your documents: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ets_V3.pdf

So your employer should accept this item from list B:
A Positive Verification Notice issued by the Home Office Employer Checking
Service to the employer or prospective employer, which indicates that the
named person may stay in the UK and is permitted to do the work in question.
That is the place your employer will apply for the positive checks: https://www.gov.uk/employee-immigration ... ent-status
Ask them to follow as per guide
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Pumblechook
Newly Registered
European Union

Post by Pumblechook » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:21 am

Zimba wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:43 am
The problem seems to be that your ILR endorsment is in an old passport and the guide requires a current document with endorsment

Here is the guide the employers follow to check your documents: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ets_V3.pdf

That is the place your employer will apply for the positive checks: https://www.gov.uk/employee-immigration ... ent-status
Thank you…. I have given my consent to them to do the search… I was the one who sent the link to them in the first place. I also gave them the unique application number from my NTL application.

My question was to do with the chances of it coming back negative.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:15 pm

Pumblechook wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:21 am
Zimba wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:43 am

Thank you…. I have given my consent to them to do the search… I was the one who sent the link to them in the first place. I also gave them the unique application number from my NTL application.

My question was to do with the chances of it coming back negative.
You said you are a worrier...the answer to it coming back is in the air no one can honestly answer this for you. Wait for the checks to be done and you hear back from them.
Meanwhile, worrying will not sort anything out.

Pumblechook
Newly Registered
European Union

Post by Pumblechook » Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:50 pm

Ok.. the ball is rolling . I have booked the biometrics appointment. I just have to provide 20 years proof of uk residency :shock:

I do have all my passports and p60’s , p45’s and other tax documents .perhaps some bills so that will just have to do.

Any ideas anyone ?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:00 pm

Being a fellow worrier, I can empathise.

And yet, as a worrier, you would know that things often turn out better than you expect or worry about.

As you have lived in the UK for 20 years, you should know that you should always look on the bright side of life.

Think positive. Yes, you need new documentation. But your new employer is patient. That can indicate that they are really anxious to get you on board, perhaps because of a unique set of skills.

You haven't lost your ILR and are still legally resident. It is merely that you have not got the correct form of documentation for a particular purpose.

In the grand scheme of things and the universe, you are facing a minor inconvenience and have much to be grateful for. Reflect on that and worry less.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Pumblechook
Newly Registered
European Union

Post by Pumblechook » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:17 am

secret.simon wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:00 pm
Being a fellow worrier, I can empathise.

And yet, as a worrier, you would know that things often turn out better than you expect or worry about.

As you have lived in the UK for 20 years, you should know that you should always look on the bright side of life.

Think positive. Yes, you need new documentation. But your new employer is patient. That can indicate that they are really anxious to get you on board, perhaps because of a unique set of skills.

You haven't lost your ILR and are still legally resident. It is merely that you have not got the correct form of documentation for a particular purpose.

In the grand scheme of things and the universe, you are facing a minor inconvenience and have much to be grateful for. Reflect on that and worry less.
You are spot on….. I will just wait and see, any day now

kumo88
Newly Registered
Japan

Post by kumo88 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:38 am

Thank you for asking the question that also relates to my situation as I am in a similar position (although I haven't submitted the NTL application yet).

It is good to know we can use the positive verification service while waiting the transfer. I have two questions:
1) While you are waiting the transfer to be completed (possibly 6 months) can I still travel abroad?
2) With the change of right to work checking from April 2022, does this affect positive verification service?

Thank you for your help :)

Pumblechook
Newly Registered
European Union

Post by Pumblechook » Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:54 am

kumo88 wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:38 am
Thank you for asking the question that also relates to my situation as I am in a similar position (although I haven't submitted the NTL application yet).

It is good to know we can use the positive verification service while waiting the transfer. I have two questions:
1) While you are waiting the transfer to be completed (possibly 6 months) can I still travel abroad?
2) With the change of right to work checking from April 2022, does this affect positive verification service?

You can travel abroad the same way you have been doing.
For me: I simply travel with 2 passports. The endorsed one (expired) and the current one.

I am all for this BRP though It just keeps things simple, but I will continue to travel with my 2 passports.
The home office advisers I have spoken to have maintained that BRP will not replace passports but they do show right of entry (ILE, ILR etc).

Get you BRP! its a good idea.

Pumblechook
Newly Registered
European Union

Post by Pumblechook » Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:37 pm

Pumblechook wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:54 am
kumo88 wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:38 am

You can travel abroad the same way you have been doing.
For me: I simply travel with 2 passports. The endorsed one (expired) and the current one.

I am all for this BRP though It just keeps things simple, but I will continue to travel with my 2 passports.
The home office advisers I have spoken to have maintained that BRP will not replace passports but they do show right of entry (ILE, ILR etc).

Get you BRP! its a good idea.
In answer to question 2.

The employer checking service will remain for the foreseeable, but things can change. When you get your BRP then you will also get your government log in so that you can give an employer your share code so that they can check your status prior to starting jobs

kumo88
Newly Registered
Japan

Post by kumo88 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:09 pm

Thank you so much for your reply. I wasn't thinking of changing a job until recently but then I looked into it initially NTL transfer felt like such a complicated process I have to go through. However you helped me make up my mind that I should just get on and do it, especially if all goes digitised at some point I guess us long-term ILR holders without BRP will have to transfer it to the digital record.

Hope your situation gets resolved soon.

Pumblechook
Newly Registered
European Union

Post by Pumblechook » Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:17 pm

ECS …. DELAY. What do I do . Employer checking service is meant to take 5 days and
Employer has put in the check over a week ago on Monday 28th February. Nothing.

They have said that they used all the details including my Unique application number.

What the crack here? I have had ILR since 2000 and now I am out of the jobs market for 6 months ?

Is there a number I can call to trace stuff …🤷

I am off to do biometrics on Thursday 3rd March. That’s the day after I have written this. Paid all this money and I feel like I am twisting in the wind

Help !

Raizendavid
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Raizendavid » Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:25 pm

Well friend I also got my potential employer to request an ecs check as I applied to the euss and since received a Certificate of Application. The check was requested on 7th February, today makes it a month with no response. I can't believe how highly and incredibly inefficient this service is. I tried emailing and calling, absolutely nothing. So useless. Multiple sources from the web claim to be five working days like you said but not true. Try emailing employercheckingservice@homeoffise.gsi.gov.uk. I got a response asking me to tell the employer to provide the automated response and they'd look into it even though after that, nothing again. I see you're in a desperate state, sorry man I hope things work out for you.
Last edited by Raizendavid on Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raizendavid
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Raizendavid » Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:26 pm

Well friend I also got my potential employer to request an ecs check as I applied to the euss and since received a Certificate of Application. The check was requested on 7th February, today makes it a month with no response. I can't believe how highly and incredibly inefficient this service is. I tried emailing and calling, absolutely nothing. So useless. Multiple sources from the web claim to be five working days like you said but not true. Try emailing employercheckingservice@homeoffise.gsi.gov.uk. I got a response asking me to tell the employer to provide the automated response and they'd look into it even though after that, nothing again. I see you're in a desperate state, sorry man I hope things work out for you.

Pumblechook
Newly Registered
European Union

Post by Pumblechook » Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:00 am

Raizendavid wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:25 pm

Just this minute my prospective employer has sent me the a screen shot of the ECS requesting documents : The ECS has asked her to send them my original ILR letter, the stamp page in my expired passport.

Last Thursday I went to do my biometrics for my BRP card. and I sent all pages of all expired passports, the same letters and all the data that I could lay my hands on to prove that I have been living in the UK for the last 22 years with ILR status! :shock:

Pumblechook
Newly Registered
European Union

Post by Pumblechook » Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:32 pm

Ok.. Just to update. ECS has come back with a positive verification for me. So on this occasion the check took 16 days. My employer was updating me on every communication they received from HO. This morning the ECS asked for other documents. So this is a very inefficient system. One side of the HO does not talk to the other it seems.

I am understandably relieved.
I also appreciate that there are a load of European Immigrants going through the system right now so there is a backlog.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:49 pm

Pumblechook wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:32 pm
Ok.. Just to update. ECS has come back with a positive verification for me. So on this occasion the check took 16 days. My employer was updating me on every communication they received from HO. This morning the ECS asked for other documents. So this is a very inefficient system. One side of the HO does not talk to the other it seems.

I also appreciate that there are a load of European Immigrants going through the system right now so there is a backlog.
Your worries are gone. Congratulations.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:03 pm

Pumblechook wrote:

That is the problem often dealing with the UKVI. Soon you'll have your BRP :)

Pumblechook
Newly Registered
European Union

Post by Pumblechook » Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:12 pm

AmazonianX wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:49 pm
Pumblechook wrote:

Your worries are gone. Congratulations.
I can start work! Happy