ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Traveling on non-UK passport after becoming a UK citizen

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kiss300
Member of Standing
Mood:
Ghana

Re: Traveling on non-UK passport after becoming a UK citizen

Post by kiss300 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:39 pm

I am in the same boat as you. I have booked a holiday to my home country in April and I become a British citizen in next month. If I return my indefinite residency, how can I return to UK without a valid permit and I cannot apply for a British passport now as it will take more than a month before I get a passport.

Please advice is needed.

kiss300
Member of Standing
Mood:
Ghana

Post by kiss300 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:41 pm

strong_and_stable wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:53 pm
researcher149 wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:41 am
As part of applying for new British passport, you are required to submit your current foriegn (dual passport). Thus, you cannot travel to the other country without a valid passport.
This isn't true. First, HMPO is often willing to accept a photocopy of your foreign passport if you provide a reasonable justification. Second, even if you send off your foreign passport, many countries issue emergency travel documents that allow you to fly without the passport you submitted to HMPO.

I'm due to travel soon with an outstanding passport application. However, my second nationality is non-visa. Will give everyone in this thread an update next week.
How did it go

strong_and_stable
Cook Islands

Post by strong_and_stable » Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:12 am

strong_and_stable wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:53 pm
I'm due to travel soon with an outstanding passport application. However, my second nationality is non-visa. Will give everyone in this thread an update next week.
British Airways did not ask to see BRP at check-in. I informed the immigration officer in London that I was a British Citizen. He was satisfied and did not want to see my naturalisation certificate.

All in all, the whole process was surprisingly smooth. However, note that I was travelling on an emergency travel document issued by a non-visa country.
"Strong and stable government in the national interest" -Theresa May, Home Secretary (2010-2016)

LAD917
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by LAD917 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:18 pm

Does anyone know definitively if it's OK to travel on a EU identity card + Settled Status while waiting for a British passport?

I naturalised in February and sent off my original passports + naturalisation certificate to the Passport Office. However, they are either severely delayed or lost. It has been two-plus weeks since they were delivered by Royal Mail signed-for delivery with no status updating in the passport tracking system. No one answers the phone, or else I get placed on an hour hold...

Am I ok to travel and re-enter the UK on my Italian ID card? I am not sure if it matters, but my settled status is linked to my passport, rather than my ID card. I tried to add my ID card to the settled status online system, but I have an old-style card with no machine readable information so it's in a manual review process.

I know I'll have no problem getting to the Schengen Area. I just don't want to get turned away boarding a plane back to the UK or at the UK border. I am not sure if my reasons for travel would qualify as "emergency."

I would appreciate if anyone has either done this (post-October 2021 change in law re: ID cards), or knows with certainty that it's OK to do. Many thanks!

LAD917
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by LAD917 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:58 pm

Reporting back on my experience using an EU ID card + settled status, post-naturalisation and while waiting for my British passport to arrive. Bumpy but successful!

Trip was from Gatwick to Montpellier using an Italian ID card (paper version).

1. No issues whatsoever at the U.K. border. Queue was faster, and the immigration official was very nice. No questions about if I had a passport or where it was

2. Significant confusion on both Schengen entry and exit checks - both of which required escalation to a supervisor. Both wanted to know where my passport was and initially told me I needed a passport. (Yes, he told me I couldn’t use an EU ID card to ENTER the EU!?!) On the exit check, same story. The only thing that eventually satisfied the border official was the blue voluntary “registration certificate” that I had gotten before settled status came to be. Nevermind that I think it’s no longer valid and it says nothing about ILR / permanent residence….

3. No issue with the airline (EasyJet) issuing online boarding passes

4. Confusion and delay boarding the plane to the U.K. The gate agent initially told me I couldn’t travel on an ID card. I tried to explain about settled status, but no. Finally she went to get the immigration officer who explained “permanent residence” and then it was ok.