ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Impact of Russia-Ukraine situation

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

viseasypeasy
United Kingdom

Impact of Russia-Ukraine situation

Post by viseasypeasy » Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:26 pm

Hi there,

My wife is from Russia, and is in the UK on an FLR(M) visa, which expires next month. We’re currently applying for the extension, but obviously are very concerned about the current situation. I wondered what peoples’ thoughts are on the likelihood of us encountering issues? Or whether a visa ban on Russian citizens is a possibility?

vinny

Re: Impact of Russia-Ukraine situation

Post by vinny » Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:23 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

viseasypeasy
United Kingdom

Post by viseasypeasy » Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:07 pm

Thanks! On a very much related note - the application we’re working on is a standard one, with a Biometric appointment booked in for a few week’s time. Given the current situation, we’d be keen to have the new BRP in my wife’s hands asap.

Is there anyway we can switch to a super priority service, even having made the application and paid the health surcharge?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:45 pm

viseasypeasy wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:07 pm
Thanks! On a very much related note - the application we’re working on is a standard one, with a Biometric appointment booked in for a few week’s time. Given the current situation, we’d be keen to have the new BRP in my wife’s hands asap.

Is there anyway we can switch to a super priority service, even having made the application and paid the health surcharge?
No, there is no way to change to super priority if you have already paid and submitted. The only way would be to withdraw the current application and apply and pay again and hope you get the super priority option, which is not guaranteed either. Refunds also take a few weeks.

Not sure why you believe a visa ban will affect visa holders who are already in the UK?? It does not.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

viseasypeasy
United Kingdom

Post by viseasypeasy » Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:58 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:45 pm
viseasypeasy wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:07 pm

No, there is no way to change to super priority if you have already paid and submitted. The only way would be to withdraw the current application and apply and pay again and hope you get the super priority option, which is not guaranteed either. Refunds also take a few weeks.

Not sure why you believe a visa ban will affect visa holders who are already in the UK?? It does not.
Thank you! My wife's visa expires next month, and we won't have a response to her application by the time it expires. If the UK were to ban the issuing of visas to Russian's (in the way that Latvia and Czech Republic have done) then I'm concerned that her application for the 2.5yr extension might be declined on these grounds? Or would any ban likely only apply to people applying form outside the UK?

Hope that makes sense! It's a very unsettling time.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:04 pm

My wife's visa expires next month, and we won't have a response to her application by the time it expires.

It doesn't matter if her visa expires. As long as an application is submitted and paid for BEFORE the visa expiry date, her visa conditions continue until UKVI make a decision.
If the UK were to ban the issuing of visas to Russian's (in the way that Latvia and Czech Republic have done) then I'm concerned that her application for the 2.5yr extension might be declined on these grounds?
You are overthinking.
Or would any ban likely only apply to people applying form outside the UK?
Yes.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

viseasypeasy
United Kingdom

Post by viseasypeasy » Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:16 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:04 pm
My wife's visa expires next month, and we won't have a response to her application by the time it expires.

It doesn't matter if her visa expires. As long as an application is submitted and paid for BEFORE the visa expiry date, her visa conditions continue until UKVI make a decision.
If the UK were to ban the issuing of visas to Russian's (in the way that Latvia and Czech Republic have done) then I'm concerned that her application for the 2.5yr extension might be declined on these grounds?
You are overthinking.
Or would any ban likely only apply to people applying form outside the UK?
Yes.
Ok - thank you! Where people talk about banning the issuing of visas it sounds like, in general, this doesn't apply to extensions?

Anyway, I appreciate this is all very hypothetical. Let's hope that the UK doesn't introduce a visa ban!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:39 pm

this doesn't apply to extensions?
It doesn't.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Jkent2022
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Jkent2022 » Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:40 pm

Hi,

what about when a Russian citizen is on their final spouse visa (and would be entitled to apply for ILR later this year)? Would an application from within the UK for ILR count as changing visas? Is it possible that could be rejected if the Home Office were generally refusing Russian's visas?

Thanks,

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:14 pm

Jkent2022 wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:40 pm
Hi,

what about when a Russian citizen is on their final spouse visa (and would be entitled to apply for ILR later this year)? Would an application from within the UK for ILR count as changing visas? Is it possible that could be rejected if the Home Office were generally refusing Russian's visas?

Thanks,
You really are overthinking!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Jkent2022
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Jkent2022 » Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:30 pm

Hi,

I know it may seem a strange question, but I don't think it's overthinking, people really are worried about this! And if the government announces 'no more visas for russians', this could affect people already living here who don't have ILR yet.

Perhaps as a more general query, do you know of other similar examples in the UK where certain countries have been limited in visa access, and how that might have affected people living here? Or we are in unchartered territory now?

Thanks,

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:12 pm

The visa restriction is for applications outside the UK, not for those who are already legally in the UK.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

noodlle
Newly Registered

Post by noodlle » Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:30 pm

Hi, I have a similar question. I applied for Naturalisation on 20/02/2022 before all the events and submitted my documents and fingerprints on 02/03/2022.

Will the current situation put my application on hold/delay the process/create any issues regarding my Good characters on the basis that I’m Russian?

Thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:33 pm

noodlle wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:30 pm
Hi, I have a similar question. I applied for Naturalisation on 20/02/2022 before all the events and submitted my documents and fingerprints on 02/03/2022.

Will the current situation put my application on hold/delay the process/create any issues regarding my Good characters on the basis that I’m Russian?

Thank you
This topic is specifically for spouse visas and NOT pending citizenship applications. You are overthinking and please do not tag onto topics that are about visas and are not relevant to the non immigration application you have made.
Char (CR001 not Casa)