ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immediate family members will be able to join Ukrainians in UK

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

goodpartner
Ukraine

Immediate family members will be able to join Ukrainians in UK

Post by goodpartner » Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:08 am

Hi all,

Please, I need your help very much. I am really grateful for all help i have received on this forum. I ask for help one more time.

As you all aware, we have a disaster in my homeland, especially in my home-town Kharkiv.

I am a Ukrainian citizen and I have a pre-settled status. I am married with EU citizen who already has settled status. All my family (grandma and my mom) in Ukraine. Boris Johnson announced that family members of settled Ukrainians can come to UK to join. Though, the questions is whether is it possible to do because I have only pre-settled status but their family member is my spouse as far as I understand, right?

Could you please help me with that, because they are in the basement for 4 days with limited food supply and they cant go to shop... I just cannot clearly see what to do..

Thank you!

Obie
Ireland

Re: Immediate family members will be able to join Ukrainians in UK

Post by Obie » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:15 am

Even without Borris Johnson meaningless proposal, you could bring in your parents, if they are dependent on you, that fact has really not changed.

If there is a delay, the option may be available to fly them to Ireland and then apply for them to enter the UK.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:10 pm

This freemovement.org.uk article has perhaps the most up-to date distilled information available as of now: Can Ukrainians take refuge in the UK? Immigration concessions and asylum policy
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

goodpartner
Ukraine

Post by goodpartner » Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:47 pm

Obie wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:15 am
Even without Borris Johnson meaningless proposal, you could bring in your parents, if they are dependent on you, that fact has really not changed.

If there is a delay, the option may be available to fly them to Ireland and then apply for them to enter the UK.

Thank you very much for all your input! Totally agree it was meaningless proposal.

Now, I am trying to evacuate them from kharkiv where the humanitarium catastrophe has happened... and fly them to Ireland (visa free country for Ukraine) and then to apply for family permit for EU-settlement scheme.

‘Dependent’ means that, as demonstrated by relevant financial, medical or other
documentary evidence:
• having regard to their financial and social conditions, or health, the applicant cannot, or for the relevant period could not, meet their essential living needs (in whole or in part) without the financial or other material support of the relevant EEA citizen (or qualifying British citizen or relevant sponsor) or of the spouse or civil partner
• such support is, or was, being provided to the applicant by the relevant EEA citizen (or qualifying British citizen or relevant sponsor) or by the spouse or civil partner
• there is no need to determine the reasons for that dependence or for the recourse to that support

Now I think, it will be not that difficult to establish dependancy?how i can prove they now dependant on us? thank yoU! Or it is wishful thinking?

I have a sister also who is 20 and brother 17, is there any routes for them considering my spouse has settled status?

Again, thank you very much for your input! I very appreciate it! God Bless you all!

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:32 pm

goodpartner wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:08 am
I am a Ukrainian citizen and I have a pre-settled status. I am married with EU citizen who already has settled status.
It's not super clear but it would seem it's difficult, since you only have pre settled status, and the rule applies only to direct family members of the settled person, not of their spouse. What "extended family member" means here is not defined. However, there is a helpline you can call and ask:
Anyone who thinks they may be eligible for this concession to call 0300 3032785
Latest info here: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/furt ... a-invasion
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:47 pm

The government is in a mess, keep changing their policies to show they can match the EU. They are not acting in good faith. I cannot keep up with their flip flopping. It is clear they do not want Ukrainians in, but they are being shamed into adopting this policy.

They are now saying extended family members can come, this morning the ministers were on TV in confusion, yesterday it was something else, my brain is not keeping up with them.

I do not agree with Kamoe reading of the regulations. I believe your mother and Grandmother will qualify as family members if you are supporting them. The support does not need to have originated from the EEA national.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:06 am

Obie wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:47 pm
I do not agree with Kamoe reading of the regulations. I believe your mother and Grandmother will qualify as family members if you are supporting them. The support does not need to have originated from the EEA national.
To be honest, I don't think The Home Office is aware of what they are writing. As per their words, only British nationals and settled people from any nationality can bring family. The OP is not settled, only their spouse; and there is no mention of family of spouses and civil partners of settled people, nor a definition of what constitutes extended family members in this case, which is ridiculous, but unsurprising coming from the Home Office.

Again, at least there is a number to call, and at least they can go to a EU country and apply there in the meantime.

goodpartner
Ukraine

Post by goodpartner » Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:01 am

kamoe wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:06 am
Obie wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:47 pm
To be honest, I don't think The Home Office is aware of what they are writing. As per their words, only British nationals and settled people from any nationality can bring family. The OP is not settled, only their spouse; and there is no mention of family of spouses and civil partners of settled people, nor a definition of what constitutes extended family members in this case, which is ridiculous, but unsurprising coming from the Home Office.

Again, at least there is a number to call, and at least they can go to a EU country and apply there in the meantime.

Thanks all for reply! I believe the definition of extended family members will be taken from family law or any other statute to construe it.
However, kamoe I was saying that I want to apply for them under EU sttlement scheme regulation DEPENDENT PARENT.(which even was before all this nightmare). Earlier before 31 June 2021 the presumption of dependency applied but now it does not apply. But surely, now when my relatives without roof and income in the middle of nowhere I can say and I think prove that I can provide them with support.

To Obie, I clearly see that too, unfortunately, they don't want Ukrainians here. But they said British people and British companies can sponsor Ukrainians as refugees. I have a lot of friends who are British and I am sure they can help if it will be the case. (but this is not clear yet) I dont have a choice but to do everything I can to bring my family here, because there is a living hell in Ukraine now and I believe it is going to be only worse :(

P.S. All my life I have lived my life with no understanding at all what the war and bombing is, now I know it. Hug your loved ones.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:44 am

goodpartner wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:01 am
I was saying that I want to apply for them under EU sttlement scheme regulation DEPENDENT PARENT.(which even was before all this nightmare). Earlier before 31 June 2021 the presumption of dependency applied but now it does not apply. But surely, now when my relatives without roof and income in the middle of nowhere I can say and I think prove that I can provide them with support.
My thinking is that the emergency route for Ukrainians is being prioritised and supposed to be processed very quickly, while the EUSS might keep you waiting for months. The reality is that they are applying because of the current conflict, so that should be the route for them. Hence why the Home Office should specify also to include family members of spouses of settled people too on the emergency route.

As Obie says, they're changing their minds every day, so hopefully this omission is corrected soon. But do call the number and explain their situation.

goodpartner
Ukraine

Post by goodpartner » Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:21 am

kamoe wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:44 am
goodpartner wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:01 am
I was saying that I want to apply for them under EU sttlement scheme regulation DEPENDENT PARENT.(which even was before all this nightmare). Earlier before 31 June 2021 the presumption of dependency applied but now it does not apply. But surely, now when my relatives without roof and income in the middle of nowhere I can say and I think prove that I can provide them with support.
My thinking is that the emergency route for Ukrainians is being prioritised and supposed to be processed very quickly, while the EUSS might keep you waiting for months. The reality is that they are applying because of the current conflict, so that should be the route for them. Hence why the Home Office should specify also to include family members of spouses of settled people too on the emergency route.

As Obie says, they're changing their minds every day, so hopefully this omission is corrected soon. But do call the number and explain their situation.

Well, just to update. I have called them and they told me only settled/British national can bring his extended family members. So it means, my relatives are not eligible under that route. But also, they told me nothing is clear yet and no concessions nor gauidance have been made.

I asked about the last paragragh of refugee namely An uncapped sponsored humanitarian visa route will allow sponsors, such as communities, private sponsors or local authorities, to bring people to the UK. They will be able to work and the sponsor would provide housing and integration support. - he said He does not know the guidance yet.

So, it means that I will apply for my relatives for EU settlement scheme family permit (dependant parent/grandparent) and wait for 3 months as standard application...omg I will not survive it... and dunno how to escalate it?

Don't know what to do with little brother and sister... I though maybe to find a private sponsor for humanitariun visa route because now my family with no roof, no money and currently they are leaving kharkiv city(if you follow the news you know what's happening there).

Any advice?

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:48 am

goodpartner wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:21 am
Any advice?
We can't really tell you what to do, so please do not interpret this as immigration advice. From a purely personal perspective, what I would do, given that the EU appears to have adopted an open doors policy, while the UK is unsurprisingly lagging behind; it would not be a bad idea to try your spouse's EU country of origin in the meantime, if you guys have some ties and family there? While the UK gets their shit together?

goodpartner
Ukraine

Post by goodpartner » Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:04 am

kamoe wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:48 am
goodpartner wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:21 am
Any advice?
We can't really tell you what to do, so please do not interpret this as immigration advice. From a purely personal perspective, what I would do, given that the EU appears to have adopted an open doors policy, while the UK is unsurprisingly lagging behind; it would not be a bad idea to try your spouse's EU country of origin in the meantime, if you guys have some ties and family there? While the UK gets their shit together?

Sure, I dont interpret this as immigration advice.Parents of spouse live in UK. so, no place to go to Europe. But, it does not matter. I will rent a flat for them and apply for EU visa or any other route, i just dont want them to live in any eruopean country and try to get a refugee status in Germany or whereever because they barely speak English, I need to integrate them into society.

My mom 53 years old..And sister and brother who will be 18 in 25 days and will not cross the border and will be sent to war..

you know what is interesting.. I never understood why people try to cross the sea/ocean in a boat to go to another country. Now, I understand.. Don't what to say much but things what happened to my friends in Kharkiv is a genocide...

God bless you all, and hug your loved ones! There are things which we don't value and take them for granted.

Skem non EU
Newly Registered
Ukraine

Post by Skem non EU » Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:41 am

It seems Home office done nothing for Ukrainian nationals. I also have 16y.o. son, who is currently in Western Ukraine. They were attacked by missiles on 24th February. As the family route will take ages he apply for a visit visa, for which I paid £341 for urgent reviev. For a call to Home Office £6.21. No repply yet

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:44 am

What the UK government says in press statement and to its media, is different from what the do in practice.

I think Ukrainians are best advised to go to Ireland, where they will be better received.

I have been trying to get through the UK embassy, to assist families in Ukraine. I have been on the phone for 50 minutes, no response. Utterly crazy.

Why cant they just be open and say, we can support Ukrainians financially, but we do not want them in the UK. That will make people know where they stand, rather than having to explain and deal with these countless UK based Ukrainian families seeking help to bring their families.

goodpartner
Ukraine

Post by goodpartner » Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:02 am

Obie wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:44 am
What the UK government says in press statement and to its media, is different from what the do in practice.

I think Ukrainians are best advised to go to Ireland, where they will be better received.

I have been trying to get through the UK embassy, to assist families in Ukraine. I have been on the phone for 50 minutes, no response. Utterly crazy.

Why cant they just be open and say, we can support Ukrainians financially, but we do not want them in the UK. That will make people know where they stand, rather than having to explain and deal with these countless UK based Ukrainian families seeking help to bring their families.

I have called paid helpline! To try to understand that how long will it take to process family permit for them, they said they escalate Ukrainian applications now. I believe they are eligible now.

yes, Obie i understand that. Unfortunately, I am not too naive.. Ireland already waved visa requirement for Ukrainians. Uk literally just discussing this subject except just do smth.

I will try anyway to apply for them, but it is for tomorrow. now i need to bring them to the safe place. Maybe I will bring them to Ireland and apply from there, I can meet them in Northern Ireland..

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:20 am

goodpartner wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:02 am
I have called paid helpline! To try to understand that how long will it take to process family permit for them, they said they escalate Ukrainian applications now. I believe they are eligible now.
Do check this out: https://advice-ukraine.co.uk/

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:51 am

Things are really tough for Ukrainians and I hope they get to safety. However one must not lose sight to the plight of poor African and Asian students, who simply went to Ukraine to get a better and cheaper education. Their plight and present treatment by unpleasant border guards must not be forgotten and should be in our thoughts and prayers.

Many of them are trapped and prevented from leaving because of the colour of their skin. I want us all to think about them too.

They have no political beef in this war, they are innocent bystanders, and no one appears to be offering them any help at present..

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:48 pm

Obie wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:51 am
They have no political beef in this war, they are innocent bystanders, and no one appears to be offering them any help at present..
This is certainly not the way to go. I hope they'll manage to get home safe as well.
goodpartner wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:02 am
I will try anyway to apply for them, but it is for tomorrow. now i need to bring them to the safe place. Maybe I will bring them to Ireland and apply from there, I can meet them in Northern Ireland..
Last time I was at the border (¬2 yrs ago) there was no border control enforced, but a) it was before Brexit and b) big question there is legality of it.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:11 pm

There is a petition going to waive visa requirement for Ukrainian refugees:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/609530

goodpartner
Ukraine

Post by goodpartner » Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:47 pm

Obie wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:51 am
Things are really tough for Ukrainians and I hope they get to safety. However one must not lose sight to the plight of poor African and Asian students, who simply went to Ukraine to get a better and cheaper education. Their plight and present treatment by unpleasant border guards must not be forgotten and should be in our thoughts and prayers.

Many of them are trapped and prevented from leaving because of the colour of their skin. I want us all to think about them too.

Disaster!!!! in my home-city KHARKIV there are a lot of Universities which I know a lot of african students/indian etc... Today My parents saw they were walking from campuses to railway station it looks like a nightmare.

Let me please correct you, Nobody is bystanders who are in Ukraine. They are victims.

Well, I hope more clarity will be in the next two days before they actually enter Europe. Parents will be applied under EU route for EU settlement scheme should they nor put forward any other normal humanitarian visa route.

Regarding the crossing border of Northern Ireland, I was just curios whether is it possible to apply from there. I just can't clearly think now, sleep-deprived.

Thanks!

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:52 pm

goodpartner wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:47 pm
Regarding the crossing border of Northern Ireland, I was just curios whether is it possible to apply from there. I just can't clearly think now, sleep-deprived.
As far as I understand there is no "crossing border" with Northern Ireland. As per the Good Friday Agreement, there can't be any hard border, or any checks or control of any kind between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. People travel back and forth in good faith.

What is implied is that to avoid an illegal status in the UK, apply while in the Republic of Ireland, not "at the border", since there isn't any.

goodpartner
Ukraine

Post by goodpartner » Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:38 pm

kamoe wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:52 pm
goodpartner wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:47 pm
As far as I understand there is no "crossing border" with Northern Ireland. As per the Good Friday Agreement, there can't be any hard border, or any checks or control of any kind between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. People travel back and forth in good faith.

What is implied is that to avoid an illegal status in the UK, apply while in the Republic of Ireland, not "at the border", since there isn't any.

Sure Kamoe! No illegal status. I consider to ask my employer (LLP international law firm) to somehow sponsor them as refugees if it is allowed...

1. I need to evacuate them to Europe because they are going there from eastern part of Ukraine.
2. Then, I hope in two days time will be more clarity regarding everything what to do and how.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:07 am

goodpartner wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:04 am
I will rent a flat for them and apply for EU visa or any other route, i just dont want them to live in any eruopean country and try to get a refugee status in Germany or whereever because they barely speak English, I need to integrate them into society.

My mom 53 years old..And sister and brother who will be 18 in 25 days and will not cross the border and will be sent to war..
The EU announced that there would be special 3-year status for Ukrainians, separate from refugee status. There are no details as of yet that I could find, but it implies that Ukrainians would not be subject to rules for asylum seekers.

Not sure what getting any sort of status in an EU country would do to an application for an EU SS Family Permit, though.
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

goodpartner
Ukraine

Post by goodpartner » Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:41 pm

ALKB wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:07 am
goodpartner wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:04 am
I will rent a flat for them and apply for EU visa or any other route, i just dont want them to live in any eruopean country and try to get a refugee status in Germany or whereever because they barely speak English, I need to integrate them into society.

The EU announced that there would be special 3-year status for Ukrainians, separate from refugee status. There are no details as of yet that I could find, but it implies that Ukrainians would not be subject to rules for asylum seekers.

Not sure what getting any sort of status in an EU country would do to an application for an EU SS Family Permit, though.

They will not claim asylum in EU yet, how my grandma(75 years old) and mom can live in EU without English? they have place to live here, I have two-bedroom flat... I want them here, the problem is in visa and family permit and all this red tape the UK government created.

They still try to escape from Ukraine. The process is very difficult. They only travel 150 kilometres per day(14 hours) because of traffic and closure of roads etc..

I think eventually, UK will do smth, because there are too many refugees in E and even Denmark started to accept refugees(first time in History)..

goodpartner
Ukraine

Post by goodpartner » Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:01 pm

To update,

I will apply for EU settlement scheme family permits. All ukrainian applications are prioritised now i was told, also I wrote to MP asking for help with everything to bring my young family members.

I will take at first apply my grandma and mom through family permit! about sister and brother will decide later.

Could I please ask you to help me with dependancy issues..I want to include explanation and evidence that my mom and grandma lived in Kharkiv, and that they had to move out of that place because of bombing and now they are totally dependant on us. Attach my bank statements and contract for accommodation? any advice what else I can include?

The definition of dependancy in guidance ‘Dependent’ means that, as demonstrated by relevant financial, medical or other
documentary evidence:
having regard to their financial and social conditions, or health, the applicant cannot, or for the relevant period could not, meet their essential living needs (in whole or in part) without the financial or other material support of the relevant EEA citizen (or qualifying British citizen or relevant sponsor) or of the spouse or civil partner
• such support is, or was, being provided to the applicant by the relevant EEA citizen (or qualifying British citizen or relevant sponsor) or by the spouse or civil partner
• there is no need to determine the reasons for that dependence or for the recourse to that support

Thank you!