ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship for Daughter?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

RP1985
Newly Registered
India

Citizenship for Daughter?

Post by RP1985 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:21 pm

I was on Tier2 General and was eligible for ILR in Feb 2022. My wife and daughter hold dependent visas on me. We had a 2nd child in 2021(born in the UK) and i was waiting for me to get ILR so that i can directly apply British citizenship/passport for her.

My company consultants/solicitors confused me and advised me to get dependency visa for the 2nd kid stating timelines and legal status issue and so i agreed to it. I dont have a passport for the 2nd kid as well but apparently it doesnt matter. My 1st kid, wife and myself all hold our home country passport

We submitted the forms, biometrics done and i got my ILR last week and we are waiting to get approval on dependency for my spouse and kids.

Question I have is
1) Can i still go for British citizenship for my 2nd kid now? Does this over ride the Global Talent Dependent Kid visa i have applied for?
2) Do i need to wait till i get the approval on dependent visa or can i start the process right away?

Thanks for your help

secret.simon

Re: Citizenship for Daughter?

Post by secret.simon » Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:13 am

RP1985 wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:21 pm
Can i still go for British citizenship for my 2nd kid now?
As the 2nd child was born in the UK, you can apply directly to register the child as a British citizen after you have acquired ILR.
RP1985 wrote:
Does this over ride the Global Talent Dependent Kid visa i have applied for?
If biometrics have been submitted, it is unlikely that you will get a refund. And a registration application will not automatically cancel the dependent FLR application for the 2nd child.

Naturalisation and registration as British citizens are separate processes from immigration (which ends at ILR) and one does not impact the other.
RP1985 wrote:
2) Do i need to wait till i get the approval on dependent visa or can i start the process right away?
Again, separate and unrelated process and so you can start it right after you get ILR.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

RP1985
Newly Registered
India

Re: Citizenship for Daughter?

Post by RP1985 » Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:49 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:13 am
RP1985 wrote:
Can i still go for British citizenship for my 2nd kid now?
As the 2nd child was born in the UK, you can apply directly to register the child as a British citizen after you have acquired ILR.
RP1985 wrote:
Does this over ride the Global Talent Dependent Kid visa i have applied for?
If biometrics have been submitted, it is unlikely that you will get a refund. And a registration application will not automatically cancel the dependent FLR application for the 2nd child.

Naturalisation and registration as British citizens are separate processes from immigration (which ends at ILR) and one does not impact the other.
RP1985 wrote:
Again, separate and unrelated process and so you can start it right after you get ILR.

Thank you 🙏🏻