ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British citizenship and previous overstay

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

umer.shahzad1
Member of Standing
Pakistan

British citizenship and previous overstay

Post by umer.shahzad1 » Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:30 pm

Hi ,

i recently got Indefinite leave to remain through T1E in 2022 i am due for British citizenship next year i was going through the guidance and there is a one criteria of good character to see if you are eligible for britishship of or not i got overstayed for my student visa in 2011 ban was not triggered as i went to my home country with in the time i applied for T1E in 2014 from my home country and i was granted visa & in the Uk i have successfully extended my visa now will that overstay in 2011 impact my naturalization application ?

umer.shahzad1
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Re: British citizenship and previous overstay

Post by umer.shahzad1 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:18 am

any feedback

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:57 am

For the good character requirement, the Home Office will look at the 10 years immediately preceding the date of application. There should have been no overstay in the 10 years immediately preceding the date of application.

After your student visa expired in 2011, when did you leave the UK (i.e. when did your overstay in the UK end)? You should be able to apply for naturalisation on or after the 10th anniversary of that date.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

umer.shahzad1
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by umer.shahzad1 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:28 am

my student visa was expired 0n 30th june 2011 and my second application was rejected in august 2011 and after rejection i was instructed to leave the UK with in 28 days i left Uk with in 28 days second thing & i completed my degree back home.

then i came back in the UK in 2014 and was granted ILR in Feb 2022

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:07 am

I think you ceased being an overstayer when you left the UK in 2011. The overstay in 2011 is irrelevant for the Good character requirements because it’s over 10 years ago.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

umer.shahzad1
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by umer.shahzad1 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:42 pm

thanks for your prompt reply vinnay what will be requirment of a Good character?

umer.shahzad1
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by umer.shahzad1 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:26 pm

i have just gone through does default payments on your Credit history put a negative impact on your application or CCJ ?

Regards

Umer