ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Marriage Visa: Age limit increase to 21 from 18.

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Acolyte
Newly Registered

Marriage Visa: Age limit increase to 21 from 18.

Post by Acolyte » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:38 pm

Hi there. Does anybody have any information regarding the increase in age that is now required for the spousal visa. I believe they are intending to raise the age you can apply for a marriage visa from 18 to 21.

An Asian TV channel reported that the change has now taken place (I heard this on Wednesday), however I cannot find any information to confirm this. There is no information the UKBA site, nor on many other similar sites.

Ive had a look at the sticky (http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=29068) but it doesnt say anything useful.

Does anybody know whats going on?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:52 pm

There is no information the UKBA site, nor on many other similar sites.
At this moment in time, that is absolutely correct. And given that when the change is made it is liable to be quite big news, I can add that there has been nothing in the UK media about this, this week.

I think it remains the case that the change will happen by December.
John

Acolyte
Newly Registered

Post by Acolyte » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:40 am

Cheers. Will be keeping an eye on this one, will be interesting to see it go through and see how much opposition or fuss is made over it. Seems like a legal minefield waiting to happen

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:26 pm

Acolyte wrote:Cheers. Will be keeping an eye on this one, will be interesting to see it go through and see how much opposition or fuss is made over it. Seems like a legal minefield waiting to happen
Why is it a "legal minefield"? Assuming you accept that a sovereign state has the right to decide who immigrates and the circumstances in which they will remain?

Acolyte
Newly Registered

Post by Acolyte » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:33 pm

JAJ wrote:
Acolyte wrote:Cheers. Will be keeping an eye on this one, will be interesting to see it go through and see how much opposition or fuss is made over it. Seems like a legal minefield waiting to happen
Why is it a "legal minefield"? Assuming you accept that a sovereign state has the right to decide who immigrates and the circumstances in which they will remain?
I saw the following quote and assumed there would be hostility:
Are there any bets whether this will stand in court? I assume they are smart enough to exclude cases under European law, because that would clearly not convince the ECJ.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:18 am

Acolyte wrote: I saw the following quote and assumed there would be hostility:
Are there any bets whether this will stand in court? I assume they are smart enough to exclude cases under European law, because that would clearly not convince the ECJ.
In the immediate term, applications under the EEA rules will not be affected. But it is an open question as to whether the entire EEA free movement of people system will survive the likely return of mass unemployment.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:24 am

JAJ wrote:
Acolyte wrote: I saw the following quote and assumed there would be hostility:
In the immediate term, applications under the EEA rules will not be affected. But it is an open question as to whether the entire EEA free movement of people system will survive the likely return of mass unemployment.
That's a very good point, I too can see the barriers coming up soon everywhere.....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Diva
Newly Registered

Post by Diva » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:31 am

So when this rules comes into play, will there be further notice or will it come into play straight away as the home office made the public aware of the changes?

Also, is there any likelihood that the age will not rise to 21 by December 08?

Apoligies if I am echoing what others may have said-I did a quick search and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I'm curious as I know a few people looking at applying for spousal visas and are oblivious to the changes I have been reading about (research).

Diva

PS, sorry didn't introduce myself-I'm just curious about immigration. Grandfather came to the UK for Pakistan in 1957 and I was born in the UK.

Diva
Newly Registered

Post by Diva » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:56 pm

Hi guys,

with December on the horizon does anyone have any updates on this?

When (if so) will this come into practice?

Diva
Newly Registered

Post by Diva » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:37 pm

Announcement has been made today-here it is folks:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... aagetorise

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:59 pm

Silly question, but I assume this minimum age policy will also apply to same-sex couples and unmarried partners applying for their own respective settlement visas? I know that the policy is targetting forced/sham marriages (from particular communities in the UK) but it would be discrimination if married couples have to be a certain age whilst same-sex and unmarried couples do not.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:04 pm

My understanding is that it will be one law for all...spouse, UPV, civil partnership and fiance visas. And both spouses/partners must be over 21.

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:26 pm

[quote]I know that the policy is targetting forced/sham marriages (from particular communities in the UK) [quote]

I disagree with this whole thing about forced marriages. This in my opinion is nothing but a pretext to curtail immigration for certain communities in the UK.( Indian sub continet)

There is probally a ratio of 1 out every 10 marriage being a forced one, whilst the rest are genuine marriages, so does this justify the draconian action. In my 15years of an ex community worker, I have still to be approached by any one who say they have being forced into a marraige.

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:28 pm

I disagree with this whole thing about forced marriages. This in my opinion is nothing but a pretext to curtail immigration for certain communities in the UK.( Indian sub continet)

There is probally a ratio of 1 out every 10 marriage being a forced one, whilst the rest are genuine marriages, so does this justify the draconian action. In my 15years of an ex community worker, I have still to be approached by any one who say they have being forced into a marraige.[/quote]

Diva
Newly Registered

Post by Diva » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:07 pm

As far as I am aware raising the age of spousal visas is also a part of the governments action plan to assist in curbing forced marriages. I could talk about this subject (forced marriages) for hours as it has happend twice in my extended family so have witnessed the destruction is causes however feel this will be off topic due to the fact this post was started in regards to the raising of the age rather than the effect it would have on forced marriages etc.

Regards,

Diva

ahmed786
Newly Registered

Post by ahmed786 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:21 pm

Hi

How does this new law effect marriages and spouses already in the country with a 2 year spouse visa, were one is under 21?

I take it this law relates to any new marriage visa applications amde from abroad ? and not those to extend an already issued 2 yr visa.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:22 pm

And the amount of 40 plus men importing 18 yo Russian Trophy Wives - I have seen a lot of train wrecks, folks.....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Diva
Newly Registered

Post by Diva » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:41 pm

Ahmed-yes as far as I am aware (and I'm sure if I am wrong someone will put me right) the new rules apply to people who are applying for a visa from the 27th November rather than extentions, ILR's etc.

Wanderer-I cannot comment on this area :lol: but please do share any info you may have. All I know is the stuff I heard on the Ricki Lake show :roll: daytime TV can be so addictive.

Diva

Post by 688148256 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:18 pm

yeh it will affect new apps from 27th nov..old is old