ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

JoannaKJ
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by JoannaKJ » Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:32 pm

This is all perfectly normal in Europe. In France on really official documents, for example when we bought our house, it is my maiden name that is used, even though my passport and driving licence show my married name. It makes sense to me as the name you were born with is the only one that doesn’t change.

rsw1010
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by rsw1010 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:20 pm

Phew! Glad to know I'm not the only Jan 2020 applicant still waiting. Still hopeful to hear something by Paddy's day :o

Side note- if anyone finds themselves in Dublin, the EPIC museum (Irish Emigration Museum) is amazing!! All about Irish Emigration and history, and famous Irish men/women that influenced the world. A ticket is also valid for an extra free visit within 30 days. Highly recommend. I did it in January! :D

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:36 pm

rsw1010 wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:20 pm
Phew! Glad to know I'm not the only Jan 2020 applicant still waiting. Still hopeful to hear something by Paddy's day :o

Side note- if anyone finds themselves in Dublin, the EPIC museum (Irish Emigration Museum) is amazing!! All about Irish Emigration and history, and famous Irish men/women that influenced the world. A ticket is also valid for an extra free visit within 30 days. Highly recommend. I did it in January! :D
You should be soon, as someone mentioned DFA said they are processing January now, and average time seems to be 2 years and 2 months at the moments. I'm Feb 14, 2020, hoping to have my cert by June!

MakeMeIrish
Newly Registered
England

Post by MakeMeIrish » Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:09 am

Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:36 pm
rsw1010 wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:20 pm

You should be soon, as someone mentioned DFA said they are processing January now, and average time seems to be 2 years and 2 months at the moments. I'm Feb 14, 2020, hoping to have my cert by June!
Just to add my info here and to the datasheet. Jan 21st docs received via email, fingers crossed the wait is over soon per the estimate above, no further notifications as of yet.

skyhigh123
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by skyhigh123 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:46 am

I received my Foreign Births Register certificate on December 3rd 2021 ( a wait of just over 2 years). I applied for my Irish passport on December 10th 2021. I have followed the progress of my application on the Irish Passport Tracker page. The estimated date of issue was shown as 28/02/2022. The tracker, still a fortnight later, shows this date.

The Irish Passport "Current turnaround Times" page shows 5 stages in the process:
1) Application received: We have received your Passport Online application. We cannot process it until you send us, by post, the required supporting documents.
2)Alert: We have received your application. You must submit your supporting documents to proceed with the application.
3)Processing application: We have received your supporting documents. We are now verifying these documents.
4)Processing application: Your application is being processed.
5)Printing: Your Passport book is being printed. Any documents submitted will be returned separately.

My application is at stage 4. I plan to go to France, hopefully for some months, in a couple of weeks.

Is there anyone with recent experience of passport application who can give me an idea of the time taken to progress from Stage 4 to Stage 5 and also the time needed for stage 5 to be completed?

Thank you for your help.

Patpatriot
United States of America

Post by Patpatriot » Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:27 pm

In regards to Passport, there is no logic behind any of it. I applied Sep 28th, got to stage 4 and then 3 weeks after due date (Dec 1) they wanted more info. Resubmitted Dec 30th, (Due Date march 7th). My application is still at stage 3. Contacted them on the 11th and they couldn't tell me anything. Didn't know why there was a delay and couldn't give me any updated time frame. Some people have posted about getting their passports in about 5 weeks though so it's really inconsistent.

EmmaKate
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by EmmaKate » Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:59 pm

Pb300 wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:26 pm
Some interesting news recently. My documents for FBR were received in June 2019. I was getting increasingly concerned at not hearing anything so a couple months ago I called the FBR number and explained my concern. I was told to relax. Everything is fine and I should hear shortly.

As I learned about more applicants receiving approvals with significantly later dates but still no word on mine, I called again. This time I was told there was an “issue” with applications submitted around that time. I was given an address and instructed to send an official letter of inquiry via post with the details of my application. He would not elaborate on what he meant by “an issue “ but my worst fear now seems more likely than before - that a number of applications were lost or destroyed during or before the shutdown. The office was obviously not prepared for the onslaught of applications caused by BREXiT and the shutdown during COVID could have pushed them well beyond there ability to safely store, organize, or otherwise protect documents
I am in a similar situation Pb300, my children's FBR FBR docs were received on 7 March 2019 so we have now gone past the 3 year point. I spoke to the FBR urgent enquiries line last week and was told something along the same lines, that were "issues" with some early 2019 applications and advised to write in.
Just on the off chance I decided to try the FBR email for expectant mothers and (a bit cheekily) put OVER 3 YEARS in the title line. I got a reply today, the agent had the applications in front of him and checked a few details, then said I should get a final update in the next few days. I think the end is in sight.

duffy1867
European Union

Post by duffy1867 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:56 pm

EmmaKate wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:59 pm
I am in a similar situation Pb300, my children's FBR FBR docs were received on 7 March 2019 so we have now gone past the 3 year point. I spoke to the FBR urgent enquiries line last week and was told something along the same lines, that were "issues" with some early 2019 applications and advised to write in.

Just on the off chance I decided to try the FBR email for expectant mothers and (a bit cheekily) put OVER 3 YEARS in the title line. I got a reply today, the agent had the applications in front of him and checked a few details, then said I should get a final update in the next few days. I think the end is in sight.
We're all patient people in this FBR queue, but I think you win the patience award

Hope it comes through for you very soon

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:27 pm

EmmaKate wrote:
Pb300 wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:26 pm
Some interesting news recently. My documents for FBR were received in June 2019. I was getting increasingly concerned at not hearing anything so a couple months ago I called the FBR number and explained my concern. I was told to relax. Everything is fine and I should hear shortly.

As I learned about more applicants receiving approvals with significantly later dates but still no word on mine, I called again. This time I was told there was an “issue” with applications submitted around that time. I was given an address and instructed to send an official letter of inquiry via post with the details of my application. He would not elaborate on what he meant by “an issue “ but my worst fear now seems more likely than before - that a number of applications were lost or destroyed during or before the shutdown. The office was obviously not prepared for the onslaught of applications caused by BREXiT and the shutdown during COVID could have pushed them well beyond there ability to safely store, organize, or otherwise protect documents
Wow, that is unreal. Patience of Job my as my grandmother would say. I'm guessing that the FBR was not at all prepared for the volume of applications they got related to Brexit, and as such things like this happened. Sending you good vibes that you get the certs soon!

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Mr_Knight » Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:11 pm

EmmaKate wrote:
Out of curiosity what were the issues/details they deemed necessary to check over?

brainiacghost
United Kingdom

Post by brainiacghost » Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:49 pm

Just had my confirmation of address email (updated the tracker) - Application sent 20th December 2019, Documents recieved 10th Jan 2020!

Con_Phillips
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Con_Phillips » Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:43 pm

Out of curiosity, for first time Irish passport applications, will a certified copy of a UK passport suffice? Alongside the FBR certificate of course.

The reason I ask is that the information regarding the documents that need to be supplied for a first time passport, on the citizensinformation.ie website, states that an "original foreign passport" must be supplied.

I can't send in my passport as I need it, as I am constantly travelling back and forth between the UK and Europe.

I am a January 2020 FBR applicant, so expecting my FBR applications to be dealt with shortly and want to be in a position to apply for an Irish passport as soon as possible, if my FBR application is approved.

duffy1867
European Union

Post by duffy1867 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:04 pm

Con_Phillips wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:43 pm
Out of curiosity, for first time Irish passport applications, will a certified copy of a UK passport suffice? Alongside the FBR certificate of course.

The reason I ask is that the information regarding the documents that need to be supplied for a first time passport, on the citizensinformation.ie website, states that an "original foreign passport" must be supplied.

I can't send in my passport as I need it, as I am constantly travelling back and forth between the UK and Europe.

I am a January 2020 FBR applicant, so expecting my FBR applications to be dealt with shortly and want to be in a position to apply for an Irish passport as soon as possible, if my FBR application is approved.
I raised this question in the Passport chat (I am Feb 2020 and had the same concern).

It seems that once you complete the application for you get a list of witnesses (in the same way we did for FBR) and they can certify the passport - one person told me that their head of department at the University did it for them.

I think the wording is unclear on the website - original passport or certified driving licence - why not original driving licence, I could do without that for a while...

Hope this helps, we should hopefully be able to check this for ourselves very soon

Con_Phillips
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Con_Phillips » Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:16 pm

duffy1867 wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:04 pm
Con_Phillips wrote:

I raised this question in the Passport chat (I am Feb 2020 and had the same concern).

It seems that once you complete the application for you get a list of witnesses (in the same way we did for FBR) and they can certify the passport - one person told me that their head of department at the University did it for them.

I think the wording is unclear on the website - original passport or certified driving licence - why not original driving licence, I could do without that for a while...

Hope this helps, we should hopefully be able to check this for ourselves very soon
Thanks for the reply! :)

I suspected a certified copy would be fine but glad you've been able to confirm that! :)

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:19 pm

Con_Phillips wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:16 pm
duffy1867 wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:04 pm
Con_Phillips wrote:

Thanks for the reply! :)

I suspected a certified copy would be fine but glad you've been able to confirm that! :)
I'm Feb 2020 myself, so haven't done this part yet. But I'm certain I've seen people on here mention they were able to use an official copy of their passport that was witnessed.

brainiacghost
United Kingdom

Post by brainiacghost » Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:47 am

brainiacghost wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:49 pm
Just had my confirmation of address email (updated the tracker) - Application sent 20th December 2019, Documents recieved 10th Jan 2020!
Just recieved my congratulations email today after sending my proof of new address documents back yesterday (I'd changed address). I've been given a tracking number, and have been told I'll recieve an email within the next few weeks once the FBR certificate is printed.

JoannaKJ
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by JoannaKJ » Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:25 pm

Great news!

TrishMc
United States of America

Post by TrishMc » Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:18 pm

brainiacghost wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:47 am
brainiacghost wrote:
Just recieved my congratulations email today after sending my proof of new address documents back yesterday (I'd changed address). I've been given a tracking number, and have been told I'll recieve an email within the next few weeks once the FBR certificate is printed.
Yes, great news! When you say a tracking number, that usually refers to a shipment by DHL or the like. Is this some sort of internal tracking number for the FBR application itself that is different from your application number? Or a shipping tracking number even before the certificate is printed?

srd11
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by srd11 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:10 pm

Hi. I received my certificate late last year and submitted my application for passport in January with a suggested completion by may. Current status shows docs received and being validated.

Any experience of how quickly the documents are returned ... Specifically I'm keen to know when I'll get my UK passport back!

brainiacghost
United Kingdom

Post by brainiacghost » Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:44 pm

TrishMc wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:18 pm
brainiacghost wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:47 am
brainiacghost wrote:
Yes, great news! When you say a tracking number, that usually refers to a shipment by DHL or the like. Is this some sort of internal tracking number for the FBR application itself that is different from your application number? Or a shipping tracking number even before the certificate is printed?
It’s an AnPost tracking number so I’m guessing they have a way of pre-allocating then

duffy1867
European Union

Post by duffy1867 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:44 pm

Considering how things are speeding up, it isn't half quiet on here the last couple of weeks...

Come on folks, get approved quicker :D

srd11
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by srd11 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:40 pm

srd11 wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:10 pm
Hi. I received my certificate late last year and submitted my application for passport in January with a suggested completion by may. Current status shows docs received and being validated.

Any experience of how quickly the documents are returned ... Specifically I'm keen to know when I'll get my UK passport back!
Anyone?

Tommy1987
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Tommy1987 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:18 pm

Hi everyone, another "lurker" here :P

I'm just about to send my late grandad's birth, marriage & death certificates off for FBR, but I was wondering if any of you have had any issues, or have heard about issues regarding important documents not being returned and getting 'lost in the post'?

Thanks in advance..

Apple10
England

Post by Apple10 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:49 pm

No issues with lost docs for me. I didn't receive any confirmation email that they had received my docs but I emailed them and they confirmed that they had received them.

I sent mine recorded delivery though. It cost roughly ten pounds but I thought it was worth it for the certainty

SL6
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by SL6 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:52 pm

Long time lurking in the shadows on this thread, I made 2x applications for my young adults in March 2020… no news, but just reading threads from when this was set up and people bemoaning 6plus months wait for turnaround… if only 😂