ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Registration of Child as British Citizen - MN1 Form

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Sup_2023
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Registration of Child as British Citizen - MN1 Form

Post by Sup_2023 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:29 am

Dear All,
Please can you help me with a couple of details regarding the MN1 form for my child to be registered as a British citizen.

Background - I have an Indian passport and recently received my ILR. My husband is on a separate Tier 2 general visa. My son (2 year old) was born before i received my ILR therefore I am starting to apply for registration now.

1. References - The form mentions that one of the references needs to know my son in a professional capacity - school, nursery, gp or health visitor. Since he is only 2 he does not go to school and his GP mentioned that they cannot be used as a reference. Even his nursery has declined to share the level of personal details needed.
So not sure whether i can just use 2 references that are British passport holders and know my child (non related to the child)

2. Since my son's current BRP is valid till Feb '23, if I start the registration process can he travel? If while we are outside the UK his application is successful, is his original BRP still valid so that he can return?

3. Since India does not have dual citizenship, when do i need to notify them to return his passport/indian citizenship? Is this when i apply for the Bristah passport ( post the registration process) or after receiving the british passport?

Any advise on timelines or home office helpline to contact will be much appreciated

Thank you
Warm Regards
Supriya

mesn
Member of Standing
Mood:
England

Re: Registration of Child as British Citizen - MN1 Form

Post by mesn » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:01 am

Sup_2023 wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:29 am
Dear All,
Please can you help me with a couple of details regarding the MN1 form for my child to be registered as a British citizen.

Background - I have an Indian passport and recently received my ILR. My husband is on a separate Tier 2 general visa. My son (2 year old) was born before i received my ILR therefore I am starting to apply for registration now.

1. References - The form mentions that one of the references needs to know my son in a professional capacity - school, nursery, gp or health visitor. Since he is only 2 he does not go to school and his GP mentioned that they cannot be used as a reference. Even his nursery has declined to share the level of personal details needed.
So not sure whether i can just use 2 references that are British passport holders and know my child (non related to the child)

2. Since my son's current BRP is valid till Feb '23, if I start the registration process can he travel? If while we are outside the UK his application is successful, is his original BRP still valid so that he can return?

3. Since India does not have dual citizenship, when do i need to notify them to return his passport/indian citizenship? Is this when i apply for the Bristah passport ( post the registration process) or after receiving the british passport?

Any advise on timelines or home office helpline to contact will be much appreciated

Thank you
Warm Regards
Supriya
1) HO is not very particular for yound kids. You can use a Referee who satisfies adult eligibility.
2) You can travel. If your application is approved, the Border authorities will let you know but they can not stop a British citizen to come into the country. You can explain the situation.
3) Once you have the registration certificate, the kid is British. You can then surrender your Indian passport and apply for the British one in any order.

Registration process is taking 2-6 motnsh time, depending on your luck.
T2G 2015, T2 Switch 2018, ILR 2020, BC 2021, British Passport 2022, OCI 2022

Sup_2023
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Sup_2023 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:05 pm

Thank you so much for your reply! very clear.

Another question in my mind is regarding the biometrics - The website says that no fingerprints are collected for kids under 5 years but a digital photograph will be needed. So ,
1. Do i need to upload a digital photo of my son or will a biometric appointment needed

2. Am I amble to schedule an appointment after submitting the form or does the home office just allot me an appointment

3. If allotted, in case I am not able to make it during the slot ( or window of days provided), is it possible to reschedule.

4. Is the timeline for registration from the day I submit the online application or when my son provides his biometrics

Thank you
Warm Regards
Supriya

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:10 pm

1. Do i need to upload a digital photo of my son or will a biometric appointment needed
You need to book an appointment for photo biometric and identity check.
2. Am I amble to schedule an appointment after submitting the form or does the home office just allot me an appointment
You book the appointment after you submit online. You are not 'allotted an appointment by Home Office'.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.