ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Nationality Through Descent

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Malik10991
Mood:
Ireland

British Nationality Through Descent

Post by Malik10991 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:14 pm

Hi guys,

I don't know if this has been asked before,
My question is that "if a child born outside of UK in a non EU country and their Grandfather is a British citizen by Naturalisation, would that child be eligible for British nationality through descent? And would anything change if the child is born in an EU country.
Kindly answer if anyone knows any details please.

Thanks

ywlgy
United Kingdom

Re: British Nationality Through Descent

Post by ywlgy » Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:11 am

https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-br ... -july-2006

Check this out, the father's status is also important.
DISCLAIMER: Advice given is based on my past experience and/or my interpretation of Immigration Rules and UKVI documents.

secret.simon

Re: British Nationality Through Descent

Post by secret.simon » Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:15 pm

Malik10991 wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:14 pm
would anything change if the child is born in an EU country.
It is irrelevant. With regards to British nationality, the main question is whether the child was born within or outside the UK. Whether in the EU or outside the EU is irrelevant. That was the case even when the UK was in the EU.
Malik10991 wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:14 pm
"if a child born outside of UK in a non EU country and their Grandfather is a British citizen by Naturalisation, would that child be eligible for British nationality through descent?
Not through the grandfather directly.

If the grandfather was a British citizen by naturalisation at the time of the birth of the relevant parent, then the parent would be a British citizen by descent (assuming that such parent was born outside the UK) and the child could be registered as a British citizen under Section 3(2) if born outside the UK.

For the Section 3(2) registration to work, both conditions need to be met,
(a) that the grandparent was a British citizen otherwise than by descent (so, for instance, by naturalisation),
(b) that the naturalisation of the grandparent predated the birth of the relevant parent.

If that is not the case, if you give us more information, we can try and advise further.

You have not stated whether the child is already born or if the child is merely in gestation. If the latter, if the child is born in Northern Ireland to an Irish citizen parent or to somebody who has the equivalent of Permanent Residence in Ireland, the child would automatically be both a British citizen and entitled to Irish citizenship as well.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.