ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR BRP card expiring and need help with renewal

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

tony501
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

ILR BRP card expiring and need help with renewal

Post by tony501 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:07 pm

Dear All,

Hope all is well!! I have a big favour to ask. I would be really really grateful! Basically, my wife's Biometric residence permit card (BRP) will expire in July 2022 and so she needs to renew the BRP card now. She obtained ILR 10 years ago (year 2012) after she gave birth to our 1st child. We have been married since year 2010. We live in the UK as a family, we have been abroad for holiday etc, but never away for more than 6 months at any one trip.

We have two kids and they were both born in the UK. Me and two kids are all British Citizens.

1st kid was born year 2012. (Now studying Year 5 at primary school)
2nd kid was born year 2014. (Now studying Year 2 at primary school)

She started an application online last night and at the end it requires a list of documents: -

"Evidence to prove your continuous residency in the UK since becoming a permanent resident
The document(s) you provide must cover every year since you became a permanent resident. Example documents include: council tax letters; letter(s) from a GP confirming dates of attendance; letter(s) from a school or college confirming dates of attendance; electricity, gas or water bills; or letter(s) from employer(s) confirming employment

Original document showing grant of settlement, such as a vignette, passport, or RON 60 letter"

Anyway, she is having some trouble with providing 10 years worth of documents as evidences. My wife is a full time housewife looking after our children. Therefore, she couldn't have got any letters from school/college/employers etc. I also take care of all bills at home, so she doesn't have her name on any of the water/electric/gas bills.

We need some opinions as to whether the following would be sufficient for this renewal application: -

- Council tax bills, I do know about this BRP renewal and so I've added her name onto our council tax bill. Her name has been on the bill since early year 2018 (to present 2022).

- Bank statements - She does have her own bank account with savings, with her own bank statments, though it's been paperless for some time. My question is, would Home Office accept bank statements please? If so, how many years worth should we order/request her bank to print for her please?

- GP confirming dates of attendance. We did move home twice over the past 10 years, so there were 3 addresses and so 3 different GP clinics. I've spoken with the current GP, they do have records dated all the way back to 2014. Big problem though, GP between year 2012-2014 that we were registered with have already shut 3 years ago...

- Car insurance - My wife's name is on car insurance certificate, this was 2012 June to 2013 June. Joint names with me and my sister (my sister is the account holder back then).

Our plan is to provide: -

2012: 1st child birth certificate, as it will have mine and my wife's name on it, confirming that she was in the UK giving birth.

2013: Not sure what to do? Would car insurance work?

2014: 2nd child birth certificate, confirming my wife gave birth in the UK.

2014 to present: GP attendances

2018 to present: Council tax bills

Passports: All current and old passports (all the way back to year 2012)

Biometric residence permit card

Bank statement, as proof of address

Recent hospital letter confirming address

Questions: -

1. Any suggestions on what to do please? Would that list of documents be sufficient/acceptable please?

2. "Original document showing grant of settlement, such as a vignette, passport, or RON 60 letter"
Does anyone know what this is please? My wife actually got her ILR as a pink BRP card, so it was never a sticker on her passport. Do we just provide BRP card for this please? As the letter confirming her grant of settlement was just a generic letter without her name. It just says her ILR has been approved and she will soon receive her BRP card etc.

3. GP letter - does it matter if the GP is only confirming appointments?? Rather than attendances? Also, does their letter need to be printed on headed paper with stamp?? How much does it usually cost?

We would be really really grateful!!

Many thanks,
Tony

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: ILR BRP card expiring and need help with renewal

Post by zimba » Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:28 pm

1. There is no specific requirement. A BRP renewal is NOT an immigration application so provide as much information regarding her residence as you have. The UKVI simply needs to ensure that ILR status has not lapsed due to long absences from the UK.

2. Copy of the BRP is enough
3. Again there is no specific requirement. UKVI simply needs to see evidence of living in the UK
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

tony501
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by tony501 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:49 pm

Thanks a lot for your help, much appreciated!!

So after making payment for the application online, how do we provide these documents please?

Is it by scanning? Scanning at home or going to somewhere and pay to scan??

Need any posting please? Passports must be originals???

Many thanks,
Tony

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:21 pm

tony501 wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:49 pm
Thanks a lot for your help, much appreciated!!

So after making payment for the application online, how do we provide these documents please?

Is it by scanning? Scanning at home or going to somewhere and pay to scan??

Need any posting please? Passports must be originals???

Many thanks,
Tony
Applications are done online, all documents including passports are scanned and uploaded online.

tobsandjess
Newly Registered
Singapore

Post by tobsandjess » Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:14 pm

Hi, this summary of the process and documents is very helpful. Does anyone know the maximum amount of time the UKVI has to renew the BRP card? I am in the process of applying and would like to know when is the earliest I am able to travel (as it is likely that when I travel my BRP would have expired or is going to expire soon). Thanks in advance.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:17 pm

tobsandjess wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:14 pm
Hi, this summary of the process and documents is very helpful. Does anyone know the maximum amount of time the UKVI has to renew the BRP card? I am in the process of applying and would like to know when is the earliest I am able to travel (as it is likely that when I travel my BRP would have expired or is going to expire soon). Thanks in advance.
It takes 4-6 months. Plan accordingly
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

yb01
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by yb01 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:57 pm

Hello, apologies for hijacking this post, but I am in a similar situation to the OP (ILR BRP expiring in May 2022). I have just been going through the online application process to renew and the fee quoted is £248.20. Can I confirm that this is correct? And does it take 6 months to get the new BRP? Many thanks in advance.

ywlgy
United Kingdom

Post by ywlgy » Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:25 pm

yb01 wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:57 pm
Hello, apologies for hijacking this post, but I am in a similar situation to the OP (ILR BRP expiring in May 2022). I have just been going through the online application process to renew and the fee quoted is £248.20. Can I confirm that this is correct? And does it take 6 months to get the new BRP? Many thanks in advance.
It should cost 75.2. You should use the link https://www.gov.uk/biometric-residence- ... xpired-brp
DISCLAIMER: Advice given is based on my past experience and/or my interpretation of Immigration Rules and UKVI documents.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:02 am

yb01 wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:57 pm
Hello, apologies for hijacking this post, but I am in a similar situation to the OP (ILR BRP expiring in May 2022). I have just been going through the online application process to renew and the fee quoted is £248.20. Can I confirm that this is correct? And does it take 6 months to get the new BRP? Immediate post before yours answered....can take 4-6months Many thanks in advance.

tony501
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by tony501 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:00 pm

Hey guys,

Thanks a lot for all your help! Actually, my wife has got a question. Basically, we have been travelling abroad for holidays/visiting her relatives living abroad every year for the past 10 years, so we always fly via London Heathrow airport.

The customs there have stamped on her passport every time, so she has got many stamps all over her passports, they look like: -

IMMIGRATION OFFICER
30 SEP 2014
HEATHROW (3)

Would this help the BRP card renewal for her please? As I believe this proves that she has entered back into the UK every year???

Many thanks,
Tony

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:12 pm

UKVI does not need you to give them what they have on their systems like entry records

tobsandjess
Newly Registered
Singapore

Post by tobsandjess » Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:01 am

Zimba wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:17 pm
tobsandjess wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:14 pm
It takes 4-6 months. Plan accordingly
Thanks for your reply. Interestingly, I was going through my documents and in the Document Checklist provided by the UKVI, it states that "You should receive a decision on your application within 8 weeks of submitting your on-line application. We will contact you if it will take longer to process your application."

Also, I was wondering if anyone knows whether there is a priority service for BRP renewal? I would definitely like to travel sooner and not have to wait up to 6 months!

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:16 pm

That is a generic sentence often related to immigration applications. BRP renewal application is not an immigration application and will take several months. There is no priority

tony501
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by tony501 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:21 am

Hey guys, just got another quick question: -

"Evidence to prove your continuous residency in the UK since becoming a permanent resident
The document(s) you provide must cover every year since you became a permanent resident."

Does anyone know if bank statements with transactions would be acceptable please? As my wife has evidences covering every year except the year 2013. However, she does have bank account statements which shows transactions in her bank account for that particular year (2013).

Would that be acceptable please?

For all other years, she have GP records from 2014 to present. Council tax bills from 2018 to present. UK Birth certificates of our children in 2012 and 2014.

Many thanks!

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:39 pm

Zimba wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:28 pm
1. There is no specific requirement. A BRP renewal is NOT an immigration application so provide as much information regarding her residence as you have. The UKVI simply needs to ensure that ILR status has not lapsed due to long absences from the UK.

2. Copy of the BRP is enough
3. Again there is no specific requirement. UKVI simply needs to see evidence of living in the UK

tony501
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by tony501 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:50 pm

Thanks for your help!!

Getting confused here. Now at the stage where it's asking my wife to: -

"Book an appointment for a UKVCAS Service Point so we can collect your biometric information and submit your supporting information to UKVI."

Does it mean she will need to visit a UKVCAS Service Point in order to proceed further please? What about uploading documents online??

tony501
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by tony501 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:04 pm

Also, in addition to the question above. Does my wife still need to give biometric information again please?

She already did it back in year 2012 when she obtained her ILR status...

Thanks a lot

tony501
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by tony501 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:11 pm

Also, for scanning passports, what exactly need to be scanned please? Is it just the photo page??

Basically, my wife had BRP cards, so no visa were stickers in her passports etc. What need scanning please?

Thank you so much!!

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:11 pm

tony501 wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:50 pm
Thanks for your help!!

Getting confused here. Now at the stage where it's asking my wife to: -

"Book an appointment for a UKVCAS Service Point so we can collect your biometric information and submit your supporting information to UKVI."

Does it mean she will need to visit a UKVCAS Service Point in order to proceed further please? What about uploading documents online??
That's what it means. If there is anything else as you proceed you will know. Document upload online can be done.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:14 pm

tony501 wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:04 pm
Also, in addition to the question above. Does my wife still need to give biometric information again please?

She already did it back in year 2012 when she obtained her ILR status...

Thanks a lot
10yrs interval update of biometric information is required for photo IDs like DL as lot of changes could have occurred.

tony501
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by tony501 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:24 pm

Thanks a lot! Now my wife got this email. I wonder how likely it is... Cos we can't book an appointment until they contact my wife again they said....... Anyone had this experience?? Thanks!

UK Visa and Immigration (UKVI) is currently assessing whether your application can be progressed via the Identity Verification app (IDV app).

UKVI aim to carry out this checking process within 7-10 working days from registration with UKVCAS/UKVI. You can not book an appointment at a UKVCAS Service Point or use the IDV app until we contact you again.

UKVI and UKVCAS (UK Visa and Citizenship Application Services) have worked together to develop the IDV app. This involves reusing biometrics (fingerprints) that have been recorded in a previous application as part of the process to verify your identity. If you want to know more about this, visit the UKVI website.

The UKVCAS IDV app lets you submit application information to UKVI without having to book or attend a UKVCAS appointment. This new, free to use way of submitting information to UKVI also involves taking a photo of yourself and uploading supporting information onto your mobile device.

tony501
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by tony501 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:25 pm

Also, as for scanning passports, what exactly need to be scanned please? Is it just the photo page?? Thank you so much!!

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:54 am

tony501 wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:24 pm
Thanks a lot! Now my wife got this email. I wonder how likely it is... Cos we can't book an appointment until they contact my wife again they said....... Anyone had this experience?? Thanks!

UK Visa and Immigration (UKVI) is currently assessing whether your application can be progressed via the Identity Verification app (IDV app).

UKVI aim to carry out this checking process within 7-10 working days from registration with UKVCAS/UKVI. You can not book an appointment at a UKVCAS Service Point or use the IDV app until we contact you again.

UKVI and UKVCAS (UK Visa and Citizenship Application Services) have worked together to develop the IDV app. This involves reusing biometrics (fingerprints) that have been recorded in a previous application as part of the process to verify your identity. If you want to know more about this, visit the UKVI website.

The UKVCAS IDV app lets you submit application information to UKVI without having to book or attend a UKVCAS appointment. This new, free to use way of submitting information to UKVI also involves taking a photo of yourself and uploading supporting information onto your mobile device.
You will have to wait to hear from them to know if IDV app is what you will use or book in person UKVCAS appointment.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:56 am

tony501 wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:25 pm
Also, as for scanning passports, what exactly need to be scanned please? Is it just the photo page?? Thank you so much!!
The biodata page and any other page containing immigration history e.g. visas and or stamps.
Also if you have renewed passports since you commenced the period culminating in ILR, such passport(s) needs to be scanned and uploaded....butvyours is ILR BRP renewal anyway

tony501
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by tony501 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:16 pm

AmazonianX wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:56 am
tony501 wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:25 pm
The biodata page and any other page containing immigration history e.g. visas and or stamps.
Also if you have renewed passports since you commenced the period culminating in ILR, such passport(s) needs to be scanned and uploaded....butvyours is ILR BRP renewal anyway
Thanks very much for your help!!

With regards to "immigration history e.g. visas and or stamps" in her passport, do you mean visas and stamps by UK please? Or would they need visa from other countries too? For example, we visited Japan and South Korea for holidays, would those visa stickers on her passports need to be scanned as well please?

If it's UK issued visas, there are none, they are just BRP card...

Also, her passport is full of: - The customs there have stamped on her passport every time, so she has got many stamps all over her passports, they look like: -

IMMIGRATION OFFICER
30 SEP 2014
HEATHROW (3)

However, Zimba said that: -
by Zimba » Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:12 pm

"UKVI does not need you to give them what they have on their systems like entry records"

So what should we do about visas and stamps please?

Thanks a lot!!