ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Getting a mortgage

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

UKJPN
United Kingdom

Getting a mortgage

Post by UKJPN » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:19 am

Hi all,.

When my wife gets her spouse visa, after maybe 7 months of being in the UK, once our daughter start school.
My wife wants to get a job..

Can my wife and I apply for a mortgage?

Her visa will only be 2 years and 9 months..but we will re-new it.

It mentions only if you have leave to remain? Sorry can someone explain ?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Getting a mortgage

Post by AmazonianX » Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:17 am

UKJPN wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:19 am
Hi all,.

When my wife gets her spouse visa, after maybe 7 months of being in the UK, once our daughter start school.

This forum deals with immigration matters, you may want to seek clarification elsewhere online or connecting to mortgage companies that may give you more informed responses.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:54 pm

There is, to the best of my knowledge, no legal impediment to a person on a limited Leave to Remain from applying for a mortgage.

But banks and other financial institutions may be chary of granting a mortgage to a person whose right to reside and work in the UK is time-limited. They may be more welcoming when the person gets ILR or British citizenship in their own right.

That is to say that any issues will be because of banks refusing the mortgage. There is no legal block stopping your wife from applying.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

UKJPN
United Kingdom

Post by UKJPN » Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:08 pm

Thank you for replying. Appreciate it :)

bookerw100
Member of Standing

Post by bookerw100 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:16 am

UKJPN wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:19 am
Hi all,.

There isn't an issue with getting the mortgage but I have noticed that when one of the person's visa time is limited, the interest rates for mortgage are higher. Not necessarily true all the time but I have noticed this.

THO
- thin ice -
Vietnam

Post by THO » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:13 pm

My wife and I got a joint mortgage, just a lot more checks to go through about her right to be in the UK, that's all. We got exactly the same interest rate from the bank as any other couple. She is on a spouse visa. Not sure what would have happened if she wanted a mortgage in her own right only though.