ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

please confirm, continuity period issue

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

adeelishaq786
United Kingdom

please confirm, continuity period issue

Post by adeelishaq786 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:28 am

Hi,
I am quite confused and not sure what period is calculated among total period spent in UK so far.
So i'll explain my situation.

1. Arrived in UK Dec 2011 and been on dependent visa till June 2016.
2. In June 2016, I went PEO 2 days after my visa expiry where my ILR application was refused for tax issue (Husband).
3. In last week of June, after visa expiry (it was 28 days rule at that time but applied within like 10 days) applied new application as SET O Dependent again.
4. After 6 months varied SET O dependent to FLR FP route based on (7-year child).
5. After 13 months my application was approved.

I would like to know as my 2nd application was within 28 days after visa expiry, so will my continuity work from 2011 till today or when my period started ticking towards ILR?

Am quite confused as it's not straight forward and couldn't find answer.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: please confirm, continuity period issue

Post by Ticktack » Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:00 pm

Not entirely sure if the 28 days grace was allowed in 2016. You probably would have received an email from the home office at the time, detailing your rights and repercussions if you default.
To be safe, I'd advice that you wait for 5 years on your current dependant visa as you're equally close as well.

I'll let the more experienced Moderators give you a different angle to my perspective.

Also note that even though you might scale thru this at the ILR stage, it might come back to hunt you during naturalisation. As they are different set of rules of engagement.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:42 pm

Yes. In June 2016, overstaying less than 28 days was permitted.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

adeelishaq786
United Kingdom

Post by adeelishaq786 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:04 pm

Ticktack wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:00 pm
Not entirely sure if the 28 days grace was allowed in 2016. You probably would have received an email from the home office at the time, detailing your rights and repercussions if you default.
To be safe, I'd advice that you wait for 5 years on your current dependant visa as you're equally close as well.

I'll let the more experienced Moderators give you a different angle to my perspective.

Also note that even though you might scale thru this at the ILR stage, it might come back to hunt you during naturalisation. As they are different set of rules of engagement.
Thanks, yes I can assure it was 28 days allowed in 2016. Am not super fussy about going for British Citizenship I just wanna get out of this 2.5 years expenses every year. Also asking as we been put on to 10 year route, although we meet financial/english but still on 10 year route (7 year child). Reason we were told was that as me/mrs are both looking our child therefore 10 years, if it was sole responsibility on 1 parent then they allow 5-years make no sense though but :(

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:24 pm

After 10years on any combination of Visas, you're allowed to apply for ILR SET LR. Provided you've lived in the UK lawfully.

It seems like you could have applied since 2021.

Please look at the guidance and make sure you satisfy all other conditions.

adeelishaq786
United Kingdom

Post by adeelishaq786 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:54 am

Ticktack wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:24 pm
After 10years on any combination of Visas, you're allowed to apply for ILR SET LR. Provided you've lived in the UK lawfully.

It seems like you could have applied since 2021.

Please look at the guidance and make sure you satisfy all other conditions.
Thanks, am only confused that where i varied my application to another one, so on approval of visa did all the period from initial first application within first 28 days till approval of varied application, all that period becomes valid/legal ?