ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Moving to Northern Ireland & Naturalisation application

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mmsa
Mood:
United Kingdom

Moving to Northern Ireland & Naturalisation application

Post by mmsa » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:38 am

Hi all

We are planning on moving to Northern Ireland however we have just submitted our Naturalisation application after living in the Republic for 7 years.

Will moving to Northern Ireland affect our application??

Do I need a UK visa since my wife has a permanent Irish residency status?

If we travel to mainland England for short trips as part of my job will this affect our application

nisi
Ireland

Re: Moving to Northern Ireland & Naturalisation application

Post by nisi » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:04 am

mmsa wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:38 am
Hi all

We are planning on moving to Northern Ireland however we have just submitted our Naturalisation application after living in the Republic for 7 years.

Will moving to Northern Ireland affect our application??
Unless you're married to an Irish citizen, the naturalisation process states that you must intend to reside in the State (ie in the Republic of Ireland, not Northern Ireland) following your naturalisation. https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/m ... ation.html

If you're married to an Irish citizen you only have to intend to reside on the island of Ireland.

You'll have answered a question on the form "Do you intend, following naturalisation, to have your usual or principal place of residence in the State?"

That all implies to me that moving out of the State during your application process isn't a good idea, but I think you probably need to ask the citizenship service by email.
Do I need a UK visa since my wife has a permanent Irish residency status?
Pretty much anyone who isn't a full Irish or UK citizen would need a UK Visa to live or work in Northern Ireland. It sounds like neither your wife nor you fall into this category, so you may both need UK Visas (and may even need a UK Visa just to visit NI, even though they're not regularly checking them on the border)

mmsa
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by mmsa » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:47 am

I am an irish citizen. My wife applied based on this. Does this change things?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:55 am

mmsa wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:47 am
That does make it better, as if a person is married to an Irish citizen, they can reside on the island of Ireland, not just in ROI. And you don't need any visas in that case (although your wife does, but that's more of a UK immigration question).
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

nisi
Ireland

Post by nisi » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:00 pm

mmsa wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:47 am
Yep, your wife just has to reside on the "island of Ireland" to naturalise as an Irish citizen in that case....might be worth advising the citizenship service that your answer to questions 6.1/6.2 (about where you intend to reside) has changed?

That obviously also means you don't need a visa to move to the UK (ie Northern Ireland).

That doesn't, however, help your wife moving to the UK. Long-term Irish Visas (and most short-term ones) don't apply in the UK. That's no difference for Northern Ireland compared to the rest of the UK. Depending on her citizenship, she may not even be entitled to drive over the border on holiday, for example, without first applying for a short stay visa. To live in Northern Ireland you'll need to apply for some kind of Visa for her, likely a Family Visa https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/partner-spouse which will require you to prove that you have an income over £18,600 per annum to support your wife, pass an English language test, etc....