ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Married to British Citizen for 5 years - how to apply for Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

singhmohit
United Kingdom

Married to British Citizen for 5 years - how to apply for Citizenship

Post by singhmohit » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:06 pm

Hello there,
I have a British Passport for about 7/8 years and married to Mrs who has Indian passport for last 5 years.
She initially moved to UK under “spouse visa” and got a BRP for 2.5 years. We renewed her visa again about two years ago.
She is about to complete her 5 years being married to a British citizenship in July.

My questions are:
1. Does she need to apply for ILR before applying for Naturalisation? Or can she apply for naturalisation directly once 5 years are complete?
2. Am I correct in assuming that if ILR is the next step; once she gets the ILR, she doesn’t need to wait for 12 month and can simply apply for naturalisation straight away? Or will we need to wait for 12 months before we can get to step two I.e. naturalisation?

Many thanks in advance.
Mohit

meself2
Ireland

Re: Married to British Citizen for 5 years - how to apply for Citizenship

Post by meself2 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:11 am

1) Yes, she needs ILR.
2) Yes, as she is the spouse of a British citizen.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

secret.simon

Re: Married to British Citizen for 5 years - how to apply for Citizenship

Post by secret.simon » Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:45 am

singhmohit wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:06 pm
1. Does she need to apply for ILR before applying for Naturalisation? Or can she apply for naturalisation directly once 5 years are complete?
ILR is a requirement for all naturalisation applications, on whatever route the person is applying for naturalisation.
singhmohit wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:06 pm
2. Am I correct in assuming that if ILR is the next step; once she gets the ILR, she doesn’t need to wait for 12 month and can simply apply for naturalisation straight away?
Yes, provided she was physically present in the UK exactly three years before the date of the naturalisation application.

Also, she can apply only after she is issued ILR, which can take a few weeks to a few months.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.