ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish workpermit

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sreenivas
Newly Registered

Irish workpermit

Post by sreenivas » Mon May 16, 2005 12:51 pm

Hello Guys,

I currently hold 2 years UK work permit and i am offered a job in ireland what are the documents required to process the workpermit and visa.

guys plse reply asap
regards
sreenivas

marialear

Post by marialear » Tue May 17, 2005 9:16 am

Good morning,

Well, as you are not a EU citizen, you can get either a work authorization (or work visa, if you are from a visa-requiring country) or a work permit. The work authorization is the better option as it is more easily accessed & has fewer rules/regulations atttached, but you must be in a very select career group to apply:

Work Authorization (WA) is basically given to highly-skilled people from a particular opening in the Irish job market that has been deemed understaffed, namely engineers, doctors, nurses, IT consultants (this choice very select, you need specific qualifications), town planners, etc..

- They need a job offer from an Irish employer and can apply in their home country before coming over.
- The WA is valid for 2 years & is renewable. Working on a WA you can change employers as long as you stay within the same sector of work, ie a doctor in Dublin moving to work as a doctor in Cork.
- Check out www.entemp.ie for full details

A Work Permit (WP) is much more difficult to get:

- First you have to get an Irish employer to offer you a job and to apply for the WP for you (you cannot apply on your own behalf).
- The job that is open must first be offered to everyone in Ireland, then the EU before it can be offered to you. The employer does this by registering the vacancy with FAS (the Irish employment people) for 4 weeks so that every eligible Irish citizen and every eligible EU citizen has a chance to get the job before you. This is to ensure that non-nationals are not being brought into the country to work when an available Irish/EU person can do the job instead.
- Once no other person in the entire country/EU has applied for the job opening, it can then be offered to you.
- The employer submits an application form & pays for the permit (currently 500.00 Euro per year)
- It takes 8-10 weeks for the application to be processed and you cannot work while you are waiting.
- The permit will be sent to your employer, you must then present yourself with the permit to the immigration department at your local Garda station or at the national immigration dept in Dublin to have you details listed, passport stamped and you get a small, immigration id card (credit card size). It is vital that you register with the Garda when you arrive as you need the passport stamp to renew your passport next year.
- You cannot change jobs on the same WP as one permit is given for your name per employer. If you want to change jobs, you must get a new permit for that new employer.
- All correspondence regarding your WP is between your employer and the government.

Check out all above on the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment (DETE) website www.entemp.ie

It has been announced recently that a new immigration department will be introduced in Ireland to deal with all issues of work permits/authorizations, citizenship, asylum etc called the Irish Naturalization and Immigration Service (INIS) but I'm not sure when that is offically starting. So, right now, all work pemit info is on the DETE website and citizenship/naturalization is on www,justice.ie

Good luck,

Maria

sreenivas
Newly Registered

Thank you

Post by sreenivas » Wed May 18, 2005 7:06 pm

hi Maria,

Thanks a lot for ur reply. It is full detail it is very useful. I understood the difference between WA and WP.

Could you please give me complete details of the documents that i will be submitting when appling for WA. (eg: offer letter etc) and how long does it take to process a WA.

Regards
Sreenivas

marialear

Post by marialear » Fri May 20, 2005 10:38 am

Hi,

I'm not really sure, as I'm not on that option myself, but I think that all you need is a formal, written job offer from an Irish employer specifically naming you as the proposed employee. You present this to the embassy in your home country.

I'd guess you'd need the regular paperwork with you (current passport, id, entry visa (if needed), copy of your university/college degree. Maybe evidence of you being able to live in Ireland without the possiblility of being a burden of the State - I know some countries require that you produce a bank statement showing that you have enough funds to support yourself for your stay.

If you are using IT for the WA, I believe that you have to show your degree/masters certificate from school that specifically denotes that you are trained in this particular sector.

Email the DETE personally at www.entemp.ie and ask them or maybe the Irish embassy in your home country. They should be able to give you all the formal info that you need.

Good luck,

Maria

sreenivas
Newly Registered

Irish workpermit

Post by sreenivas » Fri May 20, 2005 11:51 am

Hi Maria,

Many many thanks for your reply. I have been offered a job from a irish company and they r ready to sponsor WA............

Since am married i just wanted some more information about the type of visa that i have to apply for my wife. Please do me a favour send me those details if asap.

thanks and regards
sreenivas

marialear

Post by marialear » Fri May 20, 2005 2:07 pm

Hey,

If you log onto the DETE website www.entemp.ie, click on International Workers, then onto the Working Visas/Authorizations Information Leaflet at the top of the page, all the info is there for you. It describes in detail what documents and procedures you have to fufill to get the WA.

Your spouse/children can come over once you have gotten the WA, only after you have been here 3+ months. You must be able to prove that you are in legal employment & are able to support your family.

If your wife would like to work, she can get a Work Permit. Depending on what type of WA you have (what job category you are in), she may be able to avail of a more easier route for the Work Permit (she wouldn't have to have her job advertized by FAS, she could get a permit in a category that would otherwise be ineligible for a permit and be exempt from the fee). This is only offered to spouses to WA holders on specific WA categories.

Check out the DETE website, it is really easy to understand and is user-friendly. If you still have more questions, contact the Irish embassy in your home country as I only have a limited knowledge and can offer advice only on a broad scale.

I'd advise you get your documents (both yours and your wife) sorted out, have everything ready well beforehand. Contact the Irish embassy with your specific questions and your personal situation in order to get a proper understanding of what your legal options are for moving over here. You don't want to miss out on any new regulations &/or rules that may have introduced that are not on the website yet.

Sincerely,

Maria

cyc1
Newly Registered

pls do me a favour

Post by cyc1 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:28 pm

Hi every body,
Is nice to discover this forum, am a mechanical engineer by profession, I had currently rounded up a taught part of masters degree programme in sustainable energy engineering.
I need to start up an internship somewhere by August.
As I haven been reading your mails , I noticed my people saying they got a job in Ireland.
pls It will please me if any of you will link me up on how you get you jobs, or give me the neccesary web site where I can put in application for job.
bye
hope to hear from any one of you soon
cyprian