ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Traveling on a foreign passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

dedekind
Newly Registered

Traveling on a foreign passport

Post by dedekind » Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:23 am

Hello

We just received our British citizenship today. We have the certificate of naturalisation. Both my wife and myself, ad well as our eldest daughter, have Argentinian passports. Our youngest already has her British passport.

Due to unplanned circumstances we have a trip to Argentina scheduled for this Saturday for 2 weeks. There js no way to get our British passports before. Getting a certificate of entitlement (right of abode) is also out of the question in terms of processing times.

Would it be fine to travel with our Argentinian passports? When we return to the UK, the issue would be that our BRPs (showing indefinite leave to remain) would not be valid and in fact we must send them back within 5 days now.

Any argentinian citizen can stay up to 6 months as a tourist in the UK but my fear is that I would be obviously over staying as I live here.. would it be easy to sort out once we are back?

meself2
Ireland

Re: Traveling on a foreign passport

Post by meself2 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:49 am

dedekind wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:23 am
Any argentinian citizen can stay up to 6 months as a tourist in the UK but my fear is that I would be obviously over staying as I live here.. would it be easy to sort out once we are back?
If you're a citizen already, you can't be overstaying. If Argentinian passports allows you to stay in the UK for some time without a visa, that means airlines will let you on a flight. They can't deny you entry, as you're British citizens, but you might wait for some time so they confirm your status and so on.
See british-citizenship/gained-citizenship- ... 20066.html
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

dedekind
Newly Registered

Post by dedekind » Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:54 am

meself2 wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:49 am
dedekind wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:23 am
If you're a citizen already, you can't be overstaying. If Argentinian passports allows you to stay in the UK for some time without a visa, that means airlines will let you on a flight. They can't deny you entry, as you're British citizens, but you might wait for some time so they confirm your status and so on.
See british-citizenship/gained-citizenship- ... 20066.html
Yes, we can enter for 6 months without a visa.

Thanks for confirming, that was my thought as well but wasn't sure.. occured to me that perhaps they keep me as "having entered with an Argentinian passport without a Visa" status kind of thing.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:55 pm

It's not always the ideal thing, but there have been many reports on this forum of people scaling though without any problems. Just expect some delays at the boarder.

If you have a non-visa required passport for the UK, then you would scale through your major hurdle (the airlines).
Next, on arrival to the UK go through the UK/EU line. Make sure you don't use the auto gates, look for an immigration officer. Show him your Naturalisation certs (original) and explain your situation to him.

He/she might to like it, but they have to let you in. Then try and apply for your passport at your earliest convenience.