ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I travel with just the stamp and no IRP card

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

frequentwaters
Newly Registered
United States of America

Can I travel with just the stamp and no IRP card

Post by frequentwaters » Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:22 am

I already had my first time visa appointment and my passport was stamped. However, it has been well over 15 days and I still have not received my IRP card. I already booked tickets to travel this weekend and come back, thinking that my IRP card should have been in my mail by now. I have a stamp 2 in my passport and it expires September of this year. Can I still travel or will passport control in Dublin still give me problems?

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Re: Can I travel with just the stamp and no IRP card

Post by mentalmind » Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:53 am

No you can’t. You might (maybe) enter into Ireland but airline company won’t let you board on the plane without IRP card.

frequentwaters
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by frequentwaters » Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:59 am

What if I am traveling to the UK?

frequentwaters
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by frequentwaters » Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:00 am

mentalmind wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:53 am
No you can’t. You might (maybe) enter into Ireland but airline company won’t let you board on the plane without IRP card.
What if I am traveling to the UK?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:42 am

You need to show the carrier (i.e. airline/ferry/etc) that you are able to live in Ireland before they let you go on your way to the country. They were taught that IRP is the document that allows it for foreign nationals.
What kind of stamp you have? Is it permitted to remain until "date"?
Are you a US national?
You can try and apply for re-entry visa, but they will most likely say to you that you need to wait and get your IRP card.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

frequentwaters
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by frequentwaters » Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:56 am

meself2 wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:42 am
You need to show the carrier (i.e. airline/ferry/etc) that you are able to live in Ireland before they let you go on your way to the country. They were taught that IRP is the document that allows it for foreign nationals.
Are you a US national?
You can try and apply for re-entry visa, but they will most likely say to you that you need to wait and get your IRP card.
Yes, I have a stamp 2. It does have a permitted to remain until date which is in September of this year. I am traveling to the UK, which is in the common travel area. Yes, I am a U.S. national.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:07 pm

frequentwaters wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:56 am
meself2 wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:42 am
Are you a US national?
Yes, I have a stamp 2. It does have a permitted to remain until date which is in September of this year. I am traveling to the UK, which is in the common travel area. Yes, I am a U.S. national.
The CTA in this case doesn't play a role here, as far as I know. You're going between two different countries and that's it. You're neither Irish nor UK national to benefit from CTA arrangements.

In theory, you have the legal right to go to both countries without a visa, so carriers would be satisfied with that. However you might be asked about your IRP card when you arrive at Irish border. I left it at home before departing once and had to stay for quite a while on border control proving I am allowed to be there, so it's possible in theory, but not advisable.
Are you going to GB or NI?
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:07 pm

I travelled from UK to Ireland by plane but don't actually remember if they checked my IRP card or not while boarding (it was Ryanair). Well you can ask to airlines and they will say no directly to not get into any risk of getting fined. You can try your chance also by risking but if they don't let you board to the plane what are you planning to do?

Also, you will have to explain yourself to border police in Dublin, as they always ask for IRP card.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:12 pm

mentalmind wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:07 pm
I travelled from UK to Ireland by plane but don't actually remember if they checked my IRP card or not while boarding (it was Ryanair).
They should ask for some kind of reason to stay in Ireland when you come up to the registration desk. Went from UK to Ireland w/ Ryanair as well, it said on the ticket to come to the check-in desk and show your visa, gave them both IRP and passport (had a re-entry visa, at the time they were needed), it was checked and ticket stamped.
mentalmind wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:07 pm
You can try your chance also by risking but if they don't let you board to the plane what are you planning to do?
That could be, but since this person is a US citizen, he can go to Ireland for 3 months without a visa anyway, so unlikely. It's a risk nevertheless.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:26 pm

UK implements full CTA arrangements - that means there is no passport or visa checks on arrival to the UK from Ireland, regardless of your nationality.

However, Ireland does not implement this - logistically, Irish airports do not distinguish between domestic and international arrivals. Therefore they would have to check everyone, and everyone would have to go through immigration controls (even if they travel on a domestic fight).

Since the OP is a US national, travelling from the UK to Ireland without an IRP card is not an issue. Ryanair would simply treat you as a tourist.

You will, however, be asked by immigration controls as to why you don’t hold a valid IRP card. The fact that your passport is stamped doesn’t mean in any way that your registration has been approved in the system. That only happens when your card is printed. If you are not approved by the time you return, you might be in a bit of trouble.

A safer option would be travel to Belfast and then drive home (or take a bus/train etc). Very occasionally there will be Gardai boarding the bus/train to check ID’s, but they will not go into details as long as they see your passport cover. They are also less likely to enter your passport details to their system, as they can’t do that unless they decide to take you off the bus and bring you into a Garda station, which they never do for a visa-free national.

frequentwaters
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by frequentwaters » Sun May 22, 2022 2:05 am

Just wanted to update people so no misinformation spreads around because I feel like I was given the wrong information on this forum. If you have a US passport, you do not need your IRP to travel to countries in Europe due to having a Schengen visa. I was never asked before boarding the plane to show my IRP card, they only needed my passport. The same for the UK, you can go to the UK freely with just your passport. You will be able to board the plane without your IRP card. You only need your IRP when returning to Ireland for passport control.

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Sun May 22, 2022 4:05 am

frequentwaters wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 2:05 am
Just wanted to update people so no misinformation spreads around because I feel like I was given the wrong information on this forum. If you have a US passport, you do not need your IRP to travel to countries in Europe due to having a Schengen visa. I was never asked before boarding the plane to show my IRP card, they only needed my passport. The same for the UK, you can go to the UK freely with just your passport. You will be able to board the plane without your IRP card. You only need your IRP when returning to Ireland for passport control.
There is no misinformation in this thread, you didn’t mentioned that you are US citizen and US passport holder at your question. US nationals doesn’t need visa to enter Schengen countries and UK and Ireland up to limited time, that’s why you are not asked to show your IRP card by airlines. Because you can stay in these countries without visa they don’t care about you having IRP card or not. But Irish border will ask for your IRP card, which you already mentioned.

If you are a citizen of a country that requires visa to enter to a country (most of 3rd world countries) then airline companies will ask to see a proof of entry to your destination, like visa, residence permit etc. Then you need to have your IRP card physically to show them as proof.

The only catch here is, you being US citizen, because you can travel to these countries without a visa so no problem for airline company in case you are not accepted into the country,