ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Traffic offence and British citizenship application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

siralexius
United Kingdom

Traffic offence and British citizenship application

Post by siralexius » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:31 pm

Hello everyone!
I have been granted settled status under EU Scheme and I was going to be qualified for British citizenship this year July. Unfortunately last year I did ban from driving(DR10). I know it is in the passed and shouldn't happen but it did. It is a drinking and driving offence and court did ban me from driving.

I did check online and for being "good character" you can't have an any criminal offence and depending on a offence you can't apply for citizenship. In my case there is no prison sentenced and I can't apply from the day court did gave my punishment for 3 years. I wanna make sure if this is correct information before I make an application and I don't want my application to be rejected. Is this information correct?

Another question is; with my settled status how long I can live abroad and I won't lose right to live in the UK? Also How long I need to be in a year the UK so I can be eligible for citizenship application?

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Traffic offence and British citizenship application

Post by Ticktack » Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:59 am

siralexius wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:31 pm
Hello everyone!
I have been granted settled status under EU Scheme and I was going to be qualified for British citizenship this year July. Unfortunately last year I did ban from driving(DR10). I know it is in the passed and shouldn't happen but it did. It is a drinking and driving offence and court did ban me from driving.

I did check online and for being "good character" you can't have an any criminal offence and depending on a offence you can't apply for citizenship. In my case there is no prison sentenced and I can't apply from the day court did gave my punishment for 3 years. I wanna make sure if this is correct information before I make an application and I don't want my application to be rejected. Is this information correct? It's a non-custodial sentence, and it would have an automatic refusal for 3 years.

Another question is; with my settled status how long I can live abroad and I won't lose right to live in the UK? Also How long I need to be in a year the UK so I can be eligible for citizenship application?
You can live abroad for 5 years without losing your settled status.

siralexius
United Kingdom

Re: Traffic offence and British citizenship application

Post by siralexius » Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:33 pm

Thank you for replying! So the 3 years waiting is starting from court decision date? Also I will be able to apply after 3 years and do I have to declare or will not have an issue with refusal after 3 years?

Another question is that do I need to prove or how long in a year I am in the UK for citizenship application? or where I can find this information? Thank you!