ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation v/s Registration

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

basis

Naturalisation v/s Registration

Post by basis » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:41 pm

What's the difference between naturalisation and registration.

What does a child born in the UK ( if both parents are ILR holders) require - naturalisation or registration ?

Thanks in advance.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:52 am

Basis, it depends on whether the child was born before or after the parents (or at least one of them) had ILR.

The easy bit .... if the child was born after a parent got ILR ... the child requires neither naturalisation or registration .... the child is British! It is just a question of applying for a British passport for the child. Naturally the Passport Office will need proof of the status of the parent(s).

However, if the child was born in the UK but before either parent had ILR then the child needs to be Registered as British.

The difference between Naturalisation and Registration? In practical terms ... none ... my wife has been naturalised as British, and because of that my step-daughter was registered as British at the same time. They therefore both have certificates to that effect, and now have British Passports and ability to live here in the UK for the rest of their lives, and to pass on British Citizenship to children (hopefully not for quite a few years .... my step-daughter is only 9 years old!).
John

basis

Post by basis » Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:04 pm

Thanks John. Brilliant clarity.

basis

Post by basis » Fri May 13, 2005 7:06 pm

Got the passport for the child. It is a straightforward - four page form.my passport, child's birth certificate, two photos was all that was needed.

It came back within 7 working days.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri May 13, 2005 8:10 pm

Congratulations Basis, glad it all worked out, but in reality, it was just a simple form-filling exercise to get the British passport if the child was born after at least one of the parents had already got ILR.

So now you and your wife need to complete the set ... apply for naturalisation when qualified to do so.
John

Rex

Post by Rex » Sat May 14, 2005 10:05 am

Basis could you please tell me whether your child was born after you/youe wife got ILR or before.

basis

Post by basis » Sat May 14, 2005 2:03 pm

Child was born after the ILR

scorz
Newly Registered

Post by scorz » Tue May 17, 2005 1:08 pm

congratulations, basis!

however, continuing on this discussion...

our child was born earlier this year. we still have no ILR - infact i become eligible only end of this month (3 yrs 11 mnths).

my dilemma is: should i register the child as an indian citizen and get his passport made? OR should i just do nothing, apply for ILR and then just apply for his british passport?

also, if i were to apply for his indian passport, how easy would it be to apply for his british one and on what basis?

the complication has arisen because the indian embassy has stopped adding children's name on parents' passport!

please advise!

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Tue May 17, 2005 1:13 pm

as far as I know you can't have an indian and a british passport together at the same time.

correct me if i am wrong

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue May 17, 2005 1:59 pm

Scorz asked :-
apply for ILR and then just apply for his British passport?
Clearly when your child was born you and your wife did not have ILR. Accordingly your circumstances are different from those of Basis, who did have ILR when his child was born.

So whilst Basis could "just apply for his British passport", you cannot. When you have ILR what you can do is apply for your child to be Registered as British, and when he has his Registration Certificate, well then you can simply "just apply for his British passport".
John

scorz
Newly Registered

Post by scorz » Tue May 17, 2005 3:44 pm

ok. it seems i did not put it as clearly as i would have liked it to. what i meant was - is it alright if i were to apply for the ILR if we our son's citizenship is unavailable? by this i mean - we have a choice the following choices:

register our son as an indian national, apply for his passport THEN apply for ILR and at a later date, apply for his british passport and give up the indian passport.

OR

we dont register him as an indian national - and hence no indian passport - but still apply for ILR and later - as john says - register him as a british citizen and then passport.

my question is - is the second option - where his citizenship status is unknown - feasible and would it cause any problem during our ILR application?

scorz
Newly Registered

Post by scorz » Wed May 18, 2005 7:25 pm

can anyone answer my queries please?

also, if i were to call up home office, would they be able to give me any guidance on this?

basis

Post by basis » Wed May 18, 2005 10:14 pm

scorz,

I think whether you take Indian passport or not for your son does not matter for registration as British Citizen.

You can decide whether you want to take Indian passport for your son and then apply for registration as UK citizen OR you can wait and straight apply for UK registration.

hsmphopeful

Post by hsmphopeful » Thu May 19, 2005 12:37 pm

Whether you have the passport or not doesn't matter. Passport is just a proof of citizenship - it is not citizenship itself. If you lose your passport you do not lose your citizenship. Your son will be Indian citizen regardless of whether he has an Indian passport or not. However, as a matter of fact the HO may (and probably will) require your sons passport when you do eventually apply for naturalisation, so my advice is to get him a passport and when the time comes apply as usual.