ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

duffy1867
European Union

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by duffy1867 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:26 pm

TrishMc wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:58 pm
No new posts in 3 days? That must be a record, or there's a problem with my account...
I suspect that December 2019/January 2020 was the absolute peak for applications once the Brexit 'deal' was reached, and that's why it's feeling slow for those of us who were Feb 2020 applicants.

In line with this, I also think that there are significant incomplete applications, in that the correct documents were not submitted - Coveney (2 March 2022) (this relates to passports, but I don't see why the same logic would not apply to FBR)
Figures show that of the total number of applications in the system, 57% are fully complete and are being processed by the Passport Service. The other 43% of applications in the system are incomplete, which means the Passport Service is waiting for the applicant to submit the necessary documentation required. While the Passport Service makes every effort to contact applicants in such circumstances, their experience is that many applicants take weeks and sometimes months to send in the necessary documents.
It's perfectly understandable that a FBR team would only work on a certain number of 'open applications' at any given time, and if they are waiting weeks for documents, then it theoretically slows the whole process down - if I had to guess, I would say that they are working on December 19 and January 20, both processing and waiting for documents.

I passed 2 years and 1 month last week, so hoping for some news soon (I suspect I will hear in mid-April or May which will be a shame because I will hopefully be away from home for the first time in 2 years, and delaying my own passport application)

TrishMc
United States of America

Post by TrishMc » Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:37 pm

duffy1867 wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:26 pm
TrishMc wrote:
No new posts in 3 days? That must be a record, or there's a problem with my account...
I suspect that December 2019/January 2020 was the absolute peak for applications once the Brexit 'deal' was reached, and that's why it's feeling slow for those of us who were Feb 2020 applicants.

In line with this, I also think that there are significant incomplete applications, in that the correct documents were not submitted - Coveney (2 March 2022) (this relates to passports, but I don't see why the same logic would not apply to FBR)
Figures show that of the total number of applications in the system, 57% are fully complete and are being processed by the Passport Service. The other 43% of applications in the system are incomplete, which means the Passport Service is waiting for the applicant to submit the necessary documentation required. While the Passport Service makes every effort to contact applicants in such circumstances, their experience is that many applicants take weeks and sometimes months to send in the necessary documents.
It's perfectly understandable that a FBR team would only work on a certain number of 'open applications' at any given time, and if they are waiting weeks for documents, then it theoretically slows the whole process down - if I had to guess, I would say that they are working on December 19 and January 20, both processing and waiting for documents.

I passed 2 years and 1 month last week, so hoping for some news soon (I suspect I will hear in mid-April or May which will be a shame because I will hopefully be away from home for the first time in 2 years, and delaying my own passport application)
Thanks for the perspective, duffy. I am a Feb 2020 and will be away from email contact for 3 weeks starting late April. If my address confirmation email comes and I am not able to respond, any idea what will happen? I'm thinking of sending a proactive response confirming no change to my address to the urgent inquiries email address just before I leave.

duffy1867
European Union

Post by duffy1867 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:00 pm

TrishMc wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:37 pm

Thanks for the perspective, duffy. I am a Feb 2020 and will be away from email contact for 3 weeks starting late April. If my address confirmation email comes and I am not able to respond, any idea what will happen? I'm thinking of sending a proactive response confirming no change to my address to the urgent inquiries email address just before I leave.
I don't think anything will happen, nor do I think they would they accept an email in advance to be honest. jgclancy tried something simiar post congratulations email, and they didn't process anything until they were good and ready.

Personally, I think when we are 2 years in, a three week delay to reply to an email (...that might not even come) is totally fine

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:11 pm

duffy1867 wrote:
TrishMc wrote:

Are you going somewhere without internet or cell phone access? You could always set up that email on your phone no?

If not, just to note, it is possible (in gmail anyway) to set up an auto-response to specific addresses. So you could setup an auto-response to an email from the dfa.ie address. Not sure if you use gmail, but I suspect you can do it in most email platforms. Seems a little risky to me, but it is an option.

TrishMc
United States of America

Post by TrishMc » Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:35 pm

Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:11 pm
duffy1867 wrote:
TrishMc wrote:

Are you going somewhere without internet or cell phone access? You could always set up that email on your phone no?

If not, just to note, it is possible (in gmail anyway) to set up an auto-response to specific addresses. So you could setup an auto-response to an email from the dfa.ie address. Not sure if you use gmail, but I suspect you can do it in most email platforms. Seems a little risky to me, but it is an option.
Yes, no email, no cell phone, no Starlink yet, no nothin'. Remote. I already have gmail on my cellphone but as you see it won't help. I could set up an auto-respond but don't know what email I will RECEIVE the confirmation request from unless you can use a wildcard for the part before @dfa.ie and that might be more risky than just waiting.

Alk1978
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Alk1978 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:25 pm

I might have a potential solution for you. You can set up “rules” in Gmail that filters incoming messages. You could set one up that (rather than knowing the email address or the wild card idea) that filters based on looking for a specific word, and in any emails that word appears, set up the rule to forward it on to a trusted friend’s email address that you have agreed will keep an eye out for anything while you’re away.

Actually. Thinking about that further perhaps given that no matter what they receive it sounds like they won’t really be able to contact you either - were it me I think if just give a trusted friend my Gmail sign in and ask if they could check every few days and see if there’s an update and respond as you to them. Given that it’s likely just to confirm your home address is still the same.

Hope that might be an idea that helps!

Pb300
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Pb300 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:47 am

Well it finally happened. I received my congratulatory email today! Based on the data on the spreadsheet I may have had one of the longest waiting times.
FBR application sent: April 2019
Documents received: 20 June 2019
Address confirmation: 10 March 2022
Congratulations email: 28 March 2022
So over 34 months from documents received to citizenship.

Now I am ready to start the passport process but I am not clear on whether I must send my US passport with my other documents. The online application indicates I need to send, in addition to my FBR and Identify Verification, my original birth certificate, notarized copy of US passport, AND my current passport. Considering my 3 year wait to get my documents returned I am VERY reluctant to send my actual passport. Can anyone confirm whether this is truly required?

SL6
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by SL6 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:21 am

I put through my young adults FBR request in March 2020… so looking at threads should be 8 weeks or so until they hear. Unfortunately I can’t find any emails dating back that far, I had a problem and lost everything around then. Hopefully I received a notification to say received, but really not sure’ wonder if I should or could phone or email to check, and thoughts?
Most of my travel is to the south of France, where my own pas of choice is definitely my Irish pas! No waiting in lines at Nice aeroport and if wife comes along, she tags along gets stamped and out the aeroport quicker than a flash! Better than the old days as everyone was in the same queue!
Happy days!

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:09 pm

Pb300 wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:47 am
Well it finally happened. I received my congratulatory email today! Based on the data on the spreadsheet I may have had one of the longest waiting times.

Now I am ready to start the passport process but I am not clear on whether I must send my US passport with my other documents. The online application indicates I need to send, in addition to my FBR and Identify Verification, my original birth certificate, notarized copy of US passport, AND my current passport. Considering my 3 year wait to get my documents returned I am VERY reluctant to send my actual passport. Can anyone confirm whether this is truly required?
Congrats!!
from what I've seen on this board, an official witnessed copy of your passport is acceptable. Someone correct me if I'm not correct.

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:47 am

Pb300 wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:47 am

Notarized passport is acceptable. I did not send my US passport. No problems. I also sent notarized state ID & SS card. I notarized everything I could. Proof of address notarized too. Bureaucrats love it when it's "official". Make sure the digital photo follows their guidelines. You should shift to the passport threads for further questions.

Good Luck ...jgclancy

calgor
Newly Registered
European Union

Post by calgor » Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:07 pm

An update to my timeline:

Documents received: 31 December 2019
Clarification/request for new passport photos: 17 February 2022
Congratulations email: 30 March 2022
Certificate is in the mail...

Mine took a little longer because I had to resubmit the notarized portion & passport photos again (I had mistakenly put my mom's passport# instead of FBR# in one part of the application).

Angelo_2019
United States of America

Post by Angelo_2019 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:18 am

TrishMc wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:35 pm
Dalton_Trumbo wrote:

Yes, no email, no cell phone, no Starlink yet, no nothin'. Remote. I already have gmail on my cellphone but as you see it won't help. I could set up an auto-respond but don't know what email I will RECEIVE the confirmation request from unless you can use a wildcard for the part before @dfa.ie and that might be more risky than just waiting.
My address verification last October came from

PPOCFBRSection@dfa.ie

Approval email was about 3 1/2 weeks later. These emails were just before they announced resumed processing, if you're lucky the wait won't be as long.

According to other posts, they've said they'll mail it to your initial address if you don't confirm within 5 days, but I don't know of any cases where this actually happened.

TrishMc
United States of America

Post by TrishMc » Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:05 pm

Angelo_2019 wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:18 am
TrishMc wrote:
Dalton_Trumbo wrote:

My address verification last October came from

PPOCFBRSection@dfa.ie

Approval email was about 3 1/2 weeks later. These emails were just before they announced resumed processing, if you're lucky the wait won't be as long.

According to other posts, they've said they'll mail it to your initial address if you don't confirm within 5 days, but I don't know of any cases where this actually happened.
Thanks, Angelo! Do you know if that email is from a particular team or does it go to them all. From what I read, different teams work somewhat differently/faster. Any others receive an address confirmation email from that address or another one?

brainiacghost
United Kingdom

Post by brainiacghost » Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:32 pm

TrishMc wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:05 pm
[...]
Thanks, Angelo! Do you know if that email is from a particular team or does it go to them all. From what I read, different teams work somewhat differently/faster. Any others receive an address confirmation email from that address or another one?
Mine was from a named person, and didn't include details of a team.

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:02 pm

TrishMc wrote:
Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
duffy1867 wrote:
TrishMc wrote:

I see, you're going off the grid. yea, you may be better off waiting til you're back and responding then. Certainly the safer option.

The narrator
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by The narrator » Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:22 am

Application submitted: 7th January 2020
Documents received: 20th January 2020
Address confirmation: 1st April 2022

I do hope today's update wasn't an April fool...

Adrian B
Newly Registered
England

Post by Adrian B » Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:37 am

Hi Just an update on my application.
Online submission Dec 2019
Docs posted Jan 2020.
Heard nothing since , no conformation of received documents etc..
Yesterday received a call from the DFA to confirm approval and my address etc..
So for all those who have not had any confirmation mails etc.. it should be OK

joemac41
Ireland

Post by joemac41 » Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:05 pm

Adrian B wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:37 am
Hi Just an update on my application.
Online submission Dec 2019
Docs posted Jan 2020.
Heard nothing since , no conformation of received documents etc..
Yesterday received a call from the DFA to confirm approval and my address etc..
So for all those who have not had any confirmation mails etc.. it should be OK
Do you have the exact date in Jan 20?

Con_Phillips
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Con_Phillips » Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:09 pm

Hello all,

I have received a phone call today from the FBR team to say that my citizenship application has been approved. The FBR team said that I should receive an email soon with tracking details etc. and that I should have my certificate in a couple of weeks. 😁

Timeline

Application: 06/01/2020
Documents Received: 20/01/2020
Phone call confirming citizenship: 04/04/2022

MKCG
Scotland

Post by MKCG » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:11 pm

Con_Phillips wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:09 pm
Hello all,

I have received a phone call today from the FBR team to say that my citizenship application has been approved. The FBR team said that I should receive an email soon with tracking details etc. and that I should have my certificate in a couple of weeks. 😁

Timeline

Congrats first and foremost
Going by your timescale I’ll be late may 2022 for this confirmation phone call. Do you mind me asking the phone number they called from or even the 1st half of the number . I’ve got my own business so I tend to get loads of calls from ppl & companies trying to sell me stuff and tend to ignore strange numbers. But I don’t want to miss this call.

Con_Phillips
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Con_Phillips » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:38 pm

MKCG wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:11 pm
Con_Phillips wrote:
Hello all,

Timeline

Going by your timescale I’ll be late may 2022 for this confirmation phone call. Do you mind me asking the phone number they called from or even the 1st half of the number . I’ve got my own business so I tend to get loads of calls from ppl & companies trying to sell me stuff and tend to ignore strange numbers. But I don’t want to miss this call.
It was a Dublin number, starting +353 1799 :) I would tell you the full number but I am not sure if we're supposed to share them (haven't received my certificate yet, don't want to upset them!)

Although I am sure there if there are a variety of numbers that they call from.

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:57 pm

Con_Phillips wrote:
Hello all,

Timeline

Congrats! you made it! Great to see more Jan 2020 applications getting done, those of us who are Feb 2020 are hopefully on deck!

Con_Phillips
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Con_Phillips » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:25 pm

Does anyone know which UK delivery firm is responsible for delivering the FBR certificate, once passed over from the Irish counterpart?

During my confirmation phone call today, the member of the FBR team said that I could expect my certificate to be delivered in a couple of weeks time and that a signature would be required/.

I didn't give it much thought at the time but then realised that I am in Poland in a couple of weeks time.

I am just wondering if it is possible to change the delivery date of the FBR certificate, or have the certificate redirected to a family member's address? As I may not be home to sign for it.

MKCG
Scotland

Post by MKCG » Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:36 pm

Con_Phillips wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:38 pm
MKCG wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:11 pm
Con_Phillips wrote:
Hello all,

Timeline

It was a Dublin number, starting +353 1799 :) I would tell you the full number but I am not sure if we're supposed to share them (haven't received my certificate yet, don't want to upset them!)

Although I am sure there if there are a variety of numbers that they call from.
Thanks
The 1st half of the number is fine. I know giving out the full number may be frowned upon. Hope your cert arrives in the post soon.

duffy1867
European Union

Post by duffy1867 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:22 pm

It seems that passport applications have gone crazy recently (which I think was partly expected from memory of earlier posts on KildareStreet)
The main issue that is driving pressure at the moment is just the sheer volume of applications...

I think it was 137,000 in January, it was over 150,000 in February and it will certainly be over 100,000 in March and in any previous year, we hadn’t gone over 100,00 in a month.
See: https://www.newstalk.com/news/passport- ... ey-1324888

We know that the passport team work interchangeably with the FBR team, and are probably, mainly the same people, so this might explain the lack of news on the FBR front for those of us in Jan/Feb 2020