ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for 1st Passport - Naturalised British Citizen (5-year family route) - Filipino Mother

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mjrmantastic
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Applying for 1st Passport - Naturalised British Citizen (5-year family route) - Filipino Mother

Post by mjrmantastic » Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:00 pm

My wife has literally just naturalised as a British citizen yesterday.

She became a citizen on the5-year family route as my wife (I'm a British citizen from birth).

She is applying for a UK passport.

The online form says applicants must send additional documentation if applying for "a first UK passport if you were born in the Philippines, or your parents are married or divorced and have links to the Philippines".

The guidance seems to imply that this is only really relevant where British citizenship is conferred through one or more British citizen parents and the guidance relates to proving the legitimacy of marriage at the time of birth.

My wife's mum is Filipino. Her dad is a US citizen. She was born in USA and her parents marriage was undertaken in the US but before her mum became a US citizen. Regardless, my wife has been a US citizen from birth (and came to the UK on a US passport).

I don't think that the guidance is relevant to my wife's case as she is a citizen by virtue of her relationship with me not her parents and so additional documentation would not be needed.

Does anyone have any insight here as to whether I'm right or not?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Applying for 1st Passport - Naturalised British Citizen (5-year family route) - Filipino Mother

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:23 pm

If a person has naturalised as a British citizen all they need to provide is their certificate and foreign passport(s).
She is applying within the UK presumably? The visa route to citizenship is not relevant.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

mjrmantastic
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Applying for 1st Passport - Naturalised British Citizen (5-year family route) - Filipino Mother

Post by mjrmantastic » Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:29 pm

Thanks, I figured that'd be the case; another case of Government guidance being unclearly worded.