ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport application for child born to parent with ILR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

londonphd

Passport application for child born to parent with ILR

Post by londonphd » Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:54 pm

Hi Community,

I have reviewed a large amount of posts and threads to see if anyone faced a similar situation, but could not find a related thread. So, posting my query in the hope that someone would help.

My son was born when I had ILR status in June 2021. But, I have not yet applied for British passport for him. In December 2021, I got my naturalisation certificate, and have recnetly applied for my British passport (still waiting).

I have the following questions/issues I would like you to help address:

1) Now that my documensts are with the HMPO, I wonder if I could apply for my son's passport while my application is under consideration (not sure if this is possible). Should I instead wait and apply after I get my documents back?

2) My son was born when I had ILR which is not valid any longer given my naturalisation. What document do I need to send to the passport office to prove his British nationality? My British passport (if and when I receive it)?

Thank you!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Passport application for child born to parent with ILR

Post by CR001 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:01 pm

You need to send your ilr BRP card as that is the proof and evidence that he was born British as you held ilr at the time of his birth.

Your citizenship is not relevant to this.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

londonphd

Post by londonphd » Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:07 am

CR001 wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:01 pm
You need to send your ilr BRP card as that is the proof and evidence that he was born British as you held ilr at the time of his birth.

Your citizenship is not relevant to this.
Thanks, I will then not wait for my passport to be issued.
Luckily I did not send the ILR BRP to the HO after receiving the Certificate of British Citizenship. I hope they do not fine me for holding on to it for so long.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:46 am

I agree you made the right choice to forever keep your ILR BRP for the benefit of your child.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.