ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship for overseas birth

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

leon92
Newly Registered

British Citizenship for overseas birth

Post by leon92 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:09 pm

Hi,

I am confused about British Citizenship for my child who are born overseas. Basically I am a British Citizen by naturalisation and I moved to overseas in 2010 and my child is born 2 years ago again in an overseas country.

My wife is not British Citizen.

When I check if my child is eligible for citizenship, I get conflicted information. I check GOV.UK which seems that she is eligible, application should be done through MN1 (but I cannot find a category that suits me, section 3(2) mentions about parents who are British by descent, I am not)

Someone says that forget about MN1 and just register the birth of my child directly on GOV.UK and apply for passport.

Any advise is appreciated.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: British Citizenship for overseas birth

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:24 pm

Child is automatically British by descent if born abroad to a naturalised parent. You apply for a passport directly.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

leon92
Newly Registered

Post by leon92 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:36 am

Many thanks for your response, I check below link and it seems to have a similar issue where a different course of action is recommended. Am I interpreting this wrongly? If so, I will apply directly to British passport.

british-citizenship/mn1-form-from-india ... l#p2066076

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:44 am

leon92 wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:36 am
Many thanks for your response, I check below link and it seems to have a similar issue where a different course of action is recommended. Am I interpreting this wrongly? If so, I will apply directly to British passport.

british-citizenship/mn1-form-from-india ... l#p2066076
In the case you have linked to, the child was born before the date of the parent's naturalisation.

In your case, the child was born after. That makes a huge difference.

In the former case, the child follows the same UK immigration pathway as the second/less-privileged parent.

In the latter case, the child is automatically a British citizen by descent from birth and can apply directly for a British passport.

Can you confirm that the child was born after the date of your citizenship ceremony/naturalisation certificate?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:59 am

secret.simon wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:44 am
Can you confirm that the child was born after the date of your citizenship ceremony/naturalisation certificate?
Child born substantially after OP became British.
leon92 wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:09 pm
I am confused about British Citizenship for my child who are born overseas. Basically I am a British Citizen by naturalisation and I moved to overseas in 2010 and my child is born 2 years ago again in an overseas country.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

leon92
Newly Registered

Post by leon92 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:50 pm

Thanks all clear now.