ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship questions - starting application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Riori
United Kingdom

British Citizenship questions - starting application

Post by Riori » Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:29 pm

Hi,
I am now starting the process to apply for citizenship. I have some questions to begin:

1) On my previous acceptance letters for my spouse visa's, I only have a case ID and not a reference number. Can I use the case ID?

2) If I apply and then go on holiday in a few months, is it an issue if they approve the naturalisation while I am on holiday? Is it only after the ceremony that I need to travel with a British passport?

3) I have been a homemaker throughout my application process, is it correct that I can use NHS letters, Council tax, water bills etc for residence?

4) Both my referees are family friends I have known since being with my husband, can they just put family friend as how they know me? They also asked if they would be called, and I was unsure in what cases they would be or if it is just random?

Thanks!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: British Citizenship questions - starting application

Post by CR001 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:57 pm

1. Any UKVI reference number (if you have one).

2. You are free to travel once application and biometrics are done. You are only British once you have attended your Ceremony and not from date of approval letter.

3. Not required. You only need all stamped pages of your passport(s).

4. Yes fine, provided they are not related to you or your husband or to each other. They do not get contacted.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Riori
United Kingdom

Post by Riori » Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:32 pm

Thank you very much!

I have a few more questions:

1)I do not remember the exact start/finish dates of the jobs I had in the UK due to them being around 8 years ago, can I give estimates?

2)Can I send a scanned copy of my declaration with my photo to the Referee? and if so, can they scan the signed one back to me or does any of these need to be original?

3)One of my referees is British but her passport is expired, is supplying an expired passport number still fine?

4)Do I need to supply all passports I have used since moving to the UK (10 years ago) or only one that is covering the last 3 years?

5)My ILR biometric permit has an expiry of 31/12/2024, I read this is due to them changing them after this point. But just wanted to check I need to put this as the date even though it is ILR

Appreciate the help.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:44 pm

Riori wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:32 pm
1)I do not remember the exact start/finish dates of the jobs I had in the UK due to them being around 8 years ago, can I give estimates?
Yes, this is not an issue.
2)Can I send a scanned copy of my declaration with my photo to the Referee? and if so, can they scan the signed one back to me or does any of these need to be original?
None of the documents you supply are original, not even your passport; it's all digital copies, all uploaded to the UKVCS site, so scanned documents are ok, and sometimes even the only way to do it.
3)One of my referees is British but her passport is expired, is supplying an expired passport number still fine?
I will let some one else with first-hand experience answer this.
4)Do I need to supply all passports I have used since moving to the UK (10 years ago) or only one that is covering the last 3 years?
Actually I'm not really sure. I think only passports covering the relevant period, but I'll let others answer this.
5)My ILR biometric permit has an expiry of 31/12/2024, I read this is due to them changing them after this point. But just wanted to check I need to put this as the date even though it is ILR
Don't think this too much, fill in the fields accordingly. ILR is obviously indefinite.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

Riori
United Kingdom

Post by Riori » Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:23 pm

Thanks.
If anyone can answer the questions that the above person was unsure on, would be appreciated!

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:27 pm

Riori wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:23 pm
Actually I can answer this now, now that I have checked what applied to my case. I had to supply only passports covering the relevant period, in my case 5 years. I have had 3-4 passports since I moved into the UK, but my solicitors only asked for the last two, which cover the last 5 years. So if you are applying as spouse of British citizen, then passports covering the last 3 years.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:30 pm

kamoe wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:27 pm
Riori wrote:
Actually I can answer this now, now that I have checked what applied to my case. I had to supply only passports covering the relevant period, in my case 5 years. I have had 3-4 passports since I moved into the UK, but my solicitors only asked for the last two, which cover the last 5 years. So if you are applying as spouse of British citizen, then passports covering the last 3 years.
I beg to differ on this one. If the OP has been in the UK for 10 years, the he/she would need more than their current passport. Remember that you need to submit the passport used in entering the UK for the first time (if uncancelled). Regardless it makes you sleep better at night if you do just that.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:35 pm

Ticktack wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:30 pm
kamoe wrote:
Riori wrote:
I beg to differ on this one. If the OP has been in the UK for 10 years, the he/she would need more than their current passport. Remember that you need to submit the passport used in entering the UK for the first time (if uncancelled). Regardless it makes you sleep better at night if you do just that.
I've been in the UK for over 12 years myself and only had to submit passports covering the relevant period.

This is not ILR we are talking about, this is citizenship. Relevant lawful residence needs to be proven for either 5 years (most applicants) or 3 years (spouses of British citizens). Full residence since entry would have been already proven when applying for ILR.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:02 pm

kamoe wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:35 pm
Ticktack wrote:
kamoe wrote:
Riori wrote:
I've been in the UK for over 12 years myself and only had to submit passports covering the relevant period.

This is not ILR we are talking about, this is citizenship. Relevant lawful residence needs to be proven for either 5 years (most applicants) or 3 years (spouses of British citizens). Full residence since entry would have been already proven when applying for ILR.
True that. However at the end of the form, it would tell OP what it needs to satisfy all requirements. But yes, you're 110% correct!

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:27 pm

There has never been a requirement to provide the "passport used to enter the UK" for the naturalisation application.
Though for the passport application (a separate process) HMPO keeps asking for that passport. In my case I just submitted my current passport only, no questions asked. Many applicants will have lost the first passport, or the issuing authority retained it. Happy to say I still have all my passports from 30+ years.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Riori
United Kingdom

Post by Riori » Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:31 pm

Thanks everyone!

My two previous passports have been cancelled, and I have had my current one for 5.5 years but I may just upload my current one and both previous, just to be sure.

Last question for now:
(I have so far read on random sites that it should be fine as it will still prove she is British and that's all they care about but haven't found a concrete answer yet)

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:48 am

Riori wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:31 pm
Thanks everyone!

My two previous passports have been cancelled, and I have had my current one for 5.5 years but I may just upload my current one and both previous, just to be sure.

Last question for now:
(I have so far read on random sites that it should be fine as it will still prove she is British and that's all they care about but haven't found a concrete answer yet)
The requirement is that one of your referees must hold a British passport. There's no clarity if it should be valid. But I personally would want to lean towards a valid document.
You cannot used an expired document to prove anything.

My advise is to get someone else with a valid passport. If you decide otherwise, worse case the HO would ask you to send them another referee with a valid passport.

Riori
United Kingdom

Post by Riori » Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:58 pm

Unfortunately I cannot get someone else, its not that easy for me. I will try contact Gov.uk.
Thanks

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:06 pm

Riori wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:58 pm
Unfortunately I cannot get someone else, its not that easy for me. I will try contact Gov.uk.
Thanks
The expiration of the passport does not invalidate the referee's British citizenship. Though expired, the details on it can still be used to verify their BC status.

Riori
United Kingdom

Post by Riori » Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:20 pm

Thanks AmazonianX!

Riori
United Kingdom

Post by Riori » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:14 pm

I will be applying this week, if someone can just let me know if I am missing anything.

British Citizenship - married to British citizen.

-My current passport - full scans
-My two previous passports - full scans
-My BRP for ILR
-IELTS B1 certificate
-Life in the UK reference number/email
-Marriage Certificate
-Divorce Certificate (previous marriage)
-Spouse passport - photo page
-Unabridged birth certificate - showing parents details
-Referee 1 declaration
-Referee 2 declaration

I think this is all I need, thanks!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:25 pm

-Divorce Certificate (previous marriage)
This is NOT required.
-Unabridged birth certificate - showing parents details
This is NOT required.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Riori
United Kingdom

Post by Riori » Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:05 pm

Thanks!

One of my referees has taken two pictures of their declaration and stitched them together into a pdf document. They dont currently have a scanner, I assume this is ok as long as all information can be seen?

The other Referee sent theirs through as a Jpeg which I think is accepted?

Riori
United Kingdom

Post by Riori » Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:48 am

Another question following on from the above, my one referee is moving two weeks after I apply, do I need to ask for their new address or is it fine as long as I apply before they move? Thanks!

Riori
United Kingdom

Post by Riori » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:12 pm

Hi, if anyone has any advice on the above.

Also, when uploading documents for BC, where would I put my ILR BRP(residence or proof of identity?), old passport, spouse passport, referee declarations and consent forms? Thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:33 pm

Riori wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:12 pm
Hi, if anyone has any advice on the above.

Also, when uploading documents for BC, where would I put my ILR BRP(residence or proof of identity?), old passport, spouse passport, referee declarations and consent forms? Thanks
Re: Referee new address, it's probably best to give their new address, or even work address.

It's ok to put all your documents in the "Other" folder - caseworkers know what they are looking at.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Riori
United Kingdom

Post by Riori » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:00 pm

Thanks!

I was sent an email to say I can not book an appointment and need to wait to see if I can use the app. I have uploaded my documents on the Sopra UKVCAS website, should I submit them or must they be submitted on the app only?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:19 am

Riori wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:00 pm
Thanks!

I was sent an email to say I can not book an appointment and need to wait to see if I can use the app. I have uploaded my documents on the Sopra UKVCAS website, should I submit them or must they be submitted on the app only?
Wait to know which youv are to use snd upload as appropriate.

Riori
United Kingdom

Post by Riori » Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:39 am

Hi, is there a number/email I can contact to check the status of my citizenship application? I couldnt seem to find one on here, so sorry if this has already been asked many times. Thanks

wish_uk
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by wish_uk » Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:22 am

kamoe wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:35 pm
Ticktack wrote:
kamoe wrote:
Riori wrote:

This is relevant to me : please guide me
I came first on jan 2011
I left in mid of 2012
Then entered Uk through euro tunnel InK stamped eu depandant in March 2016.

Question;
When did you first arrive in uk
Is the answer would be Jan 2011 or March 2016

Applying for citizenship.
Thanks
married Aug 2014