ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How long do we need to be married before applying ?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

TonyT
Newly Registered

How long do we need to be married before applying ?

Post by TonyT » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:05 pm

How long do we have to be married for before being eligible to apply as dependent on my new husband Tier 1 visa?

Thanks,

jimmymcad
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by jimmymcad » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:03 am

I am not sure, but I have applied for my wife (dependent ) visa just after 2 months of my marriage and got her visa stamped.

As long as you fulfil the criteria,

Marriage certificate,pictures, enough fund to support without recourse to public fund. Payslips, bankstaments, emploeyr letter and accomodation support evidence.

Hope it helps.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:24 am

How long do we have to be married for before being eligible to apply as dependent on my new husband Tier 1 visa?
One second .... and actually that is an exaggeration!

Seriously, it just needs to be shown that the two of you are married. There is no minimum time.
John

xtlvx
Newly Registered

Post by xtlvx » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:34 pm

John, your answer is interesting...

I'm just wondering how marriage certificate is sufficient to apply as a dependent for Tier 1 ? It's not sound logical...

I was sure you need to show (anyway, married or not) a relationship for at least 2 years (e.g. joint responsibility for bills, utilities , joint/tenancy/lease agreements etc..)...

How the Home Office officers will now that you have not simply married for the convenience of obtaining a dependent's visa?

I'm looking forward to your answer as this issue is important to me too.

Regards,

apply4hsmp

Post by apply4hsmp » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:00 pm

There is no such requirement that u need to show a relationship or been married for 2 years.

If u marry for convenience u r sure to be caught sooner or later through some evidence like ur passport will show spouse's name, u cant keep on changing that.

Further if u marry for conveneince and u apply for visa, BHC may call for interview, make u sit in two differrent rooms and ask the same questions to both of u like where did u meet etc. What I want to say is u will falter somewhere or the other.

Also many people go for arranged marriages and if one person is working in UK the spouse can join (literally the next day) provided u show the proper proofs.

So would suggest dont think negative, if u have all the right docs apply for it and u shud have the visa,

Nobody can stop ur spouse joining whether u may be from two differrent parts of the world and may look like u have nothin in common.

intgral

Post by intgral » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:23 pm

This depends on how long it takes you from the marriage court to the place of submitting your application.

ohsmpo
Newly Registered

Post by ohsmpo » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:25 pm

Hello,

this conversation is very interesting for me since my spouse (main applicant) and I (dependent) are going to apply for tier 1 general in March 2009.

A Month before, on February 2009, we're getting married.

I would like to know whether providing our marriage certificate is sufficient? Because we were sure we'll have to provide evidences for living together for two years even if we are married...

Actually we have such evidences - Rent contract for last two years, All bills and utilities (electric, council tax, internet bills, common bank account), all with our both names on.

Should we applied all those evidences in addition to our marriage certificate or it's unnecessary??

It's important because we should translate and notarise them - and it's quit expensive for all those docs..

Thanks!

pieterkley83

Post by pieterkley83 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:27 am

I got married on a friday in south africa. Applied for dependency visa on the monday.

Got my visa the same week on the wednesday.

You only need to prove that you met, relationship is subsisting, you are married and the other economic criteria.

Got married in March 2008.

Hope this helps.

xtlvx
Newly Registered

Post by xtlvx » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:40 am

pieterkley83, thanks for sharing your case.

May I ask which evidences you've applied with your dependency application?
Was it just the marriage certificate and funds ?

UKbound

Post by UKbound » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:07 am

Similarly, we got married about a week before the visa app was submitted. We did submit pictures, documents to show we were in contact before, etc. The evidence of our relationship was checked and they did keep some of it while they were deciding whether or not to issue the visa. In the end, there were no problems. I think it's important to submit evidence that you have been in a relationship before the marriage, to demonstrate that the relationship is real. It's better to do it up front than to have to appeal a decision later on. John's right, though, technically there is no requirement of time for marriage. The 2 year requirement is a different issue that relates to non-married partners.

Good luck!