ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Marriage certificate requested for child first passport application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

waldo3002

Marriage certificate requested for child first passport application

Post by waldo3002 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:45 am

Hi all,

Thank you in advance for reading my post. I had applied for my child's first british passport online from the UAE on the 11th of March and sent my original naturalisation certificate alongside the original birth certificate of the applicant showing my name as the father (the mother is Jordanian).

After 3 weeks of sitting on the application after document receipt (on 6th April), the passport office have now come back requesting the original marriage certificate. This is strange as in the list of documents this wasn't mentioned and in the guidance online it also states that applicant's born (outside of the UK) after or on 1st July 2006 don't need their parent's marriage certificate anymore. Would anyone kindly confirm?

I'm planning to get the marriage certificate translated and sent back to them asap. However, to avoid any further delays I'm hoping this is just an error and they can proceed as before. Let's see what they say on the phone!

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Marriage certificate requested for child first passport application

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:40 am

Can't really comment on your specific case or HMPO procedures, however both UKVI and HMPO can request additional documents if they deem it necessary, and do so occasionally. They are not bound by a fixed list of documents. Perhaps other members here can comment on the specifics.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:05 am

Since at least 2015, the rule has been that the father's name on a birth certificate is not sufficient to apply for a British passport if British citizenship is being claimed from a British citizenship father.

Either a marriage certificate (if the parents are married) or a DNA test checking for paternity from a government approved lab (if the parents are not married) is required.

So, yes British citizenship can be acquired even from an unmarried British citizen father, but the paternity needs to be proven.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

waldo3002

Post by waldo3002 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:10 am

waldo3002 wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:45 am
Hi all,

Thank you in advance for reading my post. I had applied for my child's first british passport online from the UAE on the 11th of March and sent my original naturalisation certificate alongside the original birth certificate of the applicant showing my name as the father (the mother is Jordanian).

After 3 weeks of sitting on the application after document receipt (on 6th April), the passport office have now come back requesting the original marriage certificate. This is strange as in the list of documents this wasn't mentioned and in the guidance online it also states that applicant's born (outside of the UK) after or on 1st July 2006 don't need their parent's marriage certificate anymore. Would anyone kindly confirm?

I'm planning to get the marriage certificate translated and sent back to them asap. However, to avoid any further delays I'm hoping this is just an error and they can proceed as before. Let's see what they say on the phone!
Thank you for your kind reply! I just wish it was clear on the list of documents to send that gets generated when applying online.

Just worried it'll add another 4 weeks to the application timescales with how busy HMPO are :)