ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel under Emergency Circumstances - IRP Renewal

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

AvSam
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Travel under Emergency Circumstances - IRP Renewal

Post by AvSam » Fri May 06, 2022 11:36 am

Hi,

I have to travel back to my country immediately for at least a week due to a family emergency.

I applied for an IRP card renewal on 27/03/2022, and haven't heard anything back. My previous IRP card expired on 25/04/2022 and therefore I cannot use that to re-enter the country as I am waiting for my current IRP card to be renewed + delivered.

What Is the procedure in a situation like this? Is there a placeholder document that could be issued electronically that I could use to re-enter the country?

I have emailed immigrationsupport@justice.ie explaining my case, but I don't know what else could I do at a time like this.

Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.

meself2
Ireland

Re: Travel under Emergency Circumstances - IRP Renewal

Post by meself2 » Fri May 06, 2022 12:41 pm

There is a blanket extension on your old IRP, but they do mention re-entry visa without any guidance about how to achieve it. You can try and come up to visa section in Burgh Quay to ask for it if you live in Dublin, see this thread - post2044798.html#p2044798
In worst case scenario you might just have to apply for a visa from abroad.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

griffith2
Ireland

Post by griffith2 » Fri May 06, 2022 2:52 pm

I had same problem, i wrote an e-mail to get an IRP card because i had to travel as someone died but they only replied after 8 weeks so it was not worth it.
Why don't you fly anyway as you have applied online and hopefully you will get your IRP in a few weeks time and when you get it maybe get someone to post it to your address and then you will be able to fly back to Ireland. You dont need IRP to travel to your home country only when you are coming back.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Fri May 06, 2022 3:49 pm

If you have an emergency, as others have said, do not email. Just walk into Burgh Quay office, preferably before they open (8am?) with all of your documents and proofs. You will need to explain the situation to the reception and insist that you talk to a re-entry visa officer. Some receptionists are exceptionally rude and will not listen to you initially. Just don't leave. Insist that you talk to a visa officer again and again, and tell them how urgent and unexpected this travel is.

Note that visa officers can only give you a visa up to the expiry of your IRP card - which is 31 May 2022 by auto extension - if your new IRP card has not been approved.

AvSam
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by AvSam » Fri May 06, 2022 4:44 pm

littlerr wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 3:49 pm
If you have an emergency, as others have said, do not email. Just walk into Burgh Quay office, preferably before they open (8am?) with all of your documents and proofs. You will need to explain the situation to the reception and insist that you talk to a re-entry visa officer. Some receptionists are exceptionally rude and will not listen to you initially. Just don't leave. Insist that you talk to a visa officer again and again, and tell them how urgent and unexpected this travel is.

Note that visa officers can only give you a visa up to the expiry of your IRP card - which is 31 May 2022 by auto extension - if your new IRP card has not been approved.
I went to the Burgh Quay office this afternoon and they made me fill out an Emergency Form- which had my details, reason for emergency travel and further information. It was put in a box and the guy there said that they will contact me by phone when they go through the forms in the box.

If I do not hear back from them, I will go to their office at 8am on Monday with all my documents and proof and insist on talking to a re-entry visa officer.

It’s baffling how little they want to help you out - especially at a time where you would expect someone to show even a bit of compassion.

AvSam
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by AvSam » Fri May 06, 2022 4:46 pm

griffith2 wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 2:52 pm
I had same problem, i wrote an e-mail to get an IRP card because i had to travel as someone died but they only replied after 8 weeks so it was not worth it.
Why don't you fly anyway as you have applied online and hopefully you will get your IRP in a few weeks time and when you get it maybe get someone to post it to your address and then you will be able to fly back to Ireland. You dont need IRP to travel to your home country only when you are coming back.
I’m afraid that this might be my only option if I don’t hear back from them within the next 2-3 days. There’s always this irrational fear that it might get lost in the mail and I would be stuck without a way to get back to the country.

griffith2
Ireland

Post by griffith2 » Fri May 06, 2022 5:55 pm

Why you so hopeless. You will get it soon i am sure. Worst case scenario if your card is lost than you will need to reapply for an irish re entry visa but i am sure this will not happen. I would advice you to fly back sort out your personal problems and have someone keep an eye on the posts. Everything will be ok. Was your passport stamped ? Do you have a visa stamp if you do than no need to wait for IRP.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Sun May 08, 2022 8:14 pm

You won’t get a reply by tomorrow morning, as you only submitted the form on Friday, and they only work on weekday mornings. So they won’t open your envelope until at least Monday morning.

If you are travelling on Tuesday or Wednesday, I would definitely get into Burgh Quay on Monday morning to try your luck. Otherwise, you might want to relax for a day or two before going over there.

AvSam
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by AvSam » Mon May 09, 2022 11:37 pm

littlerr wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 8:14 pm
You won’t get a reply by tomorrow morning, as you only submitted the form on Friday, and they only work on weekday mornings. So they won’t open your envelope until at least Monday morning.

If you are travelling on Tuesday or Wednesday, I would definitely get into Burgh Quay on Monday morning to try your luck. Otherwise, you might want to relax for a day or two before going over there.
Just wanted to update you guys:
I went in this morning at 8am with my proof of emergency and flight tickets and insisted on speaking with a re-entry visa officer as it was an emergency. They tried to make me fill out the same emergency form, but I told them I’ve done all of that already, and I have no more time to wait as I’m to fly the day after. They gave me a re-entry visa within an hour.

Thanks everyone for their help. I really appreciate it.

AvSam
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by AvSam » Mon May 09, 2022 11:37 pm

littlerr wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 8:14 pm

Just wanted to update you guys:
I went in this morning at 8am with my proof of emergency and flight tickets and insisted on speaking with a re-entry visa officer as it was an emergency. They tried to make me fill out the same emergency form, but I told them I’ve done all of that already, and I have no more time to wait as I’m to fly the day after. They gave me a re-entry visa within an hour.

Thanks everyone for their help. I really appreciate it.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Tue May 10, 2022 2:01 am

That’s great to hear.

manymen9
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by manymen9 » Sun May 15, 2022 4:09 pm

The airlines know that you can travel with an expired IRP if you have it with you. They are instructed. They have it all updated. Go to check in desk when you are back. You will have to go to check in early and wait for them to contact their supervisor if needed. But all travels are informed.

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Mon May 16, 2022 12:36 am

manymen9 wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 4:09 pm
The airlines know that you can travel with an expired IRP if you have it with you. They are instructed. They have it all updated. Go to check in desk when you are back. You will have to go to check in early and wait for them to contact their supervisor if needed. But all travels are informed.
Are you sure about that?

Check : https://www.irishimmigration.ie/ministe ... rmissions/

Adult customers who plan to travel abroad beyond 15 January 2022 should apply to renew their immigration permission and receive a new IRP card. Otherwise, they must secure a re-entry visa in Ireland before travelling or in an overseas visa office before returning.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Mon May 16, 2022 3:27 pm

manymen9 wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 4:09 pm
That is purely incorrect. These are the kind of posts that will get people into real trouble.
What's the point of registering with the immigration if you can just travel with an expired card? Which airline is 'instructed' to allow you to do that?

manymen9
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by manymen9 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:35 am

my IRP expired in Sep 2020 and they let me travel with no problem. I just had to tell them to check with the airlines.

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/

what most of the airlines check use their travel requirments to check with