ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Any need for UK passport?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mrbojangles

Any need for UK passport?

Post by mrbojangles » Sun May 15, 2022 12:34 pm

I'm a British citizen living in the UK, and also it turns out Irish. I'm waiting hopefully for an Irish passport. Assuming that that works out, is there any point in me renewing my UK passport? With the Common-Travel Area I'm aware that the Irish passport will give me the right to come and go from the UK as I please. Obviously the Irish passport is much more useful for EU travel.

Is there any advantage in an Irish citizen also having a UK passport?

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Re: Any need for UK passport?

Post by Vorona » Sun May 15, 2022 2:43 pm

You need to ask in the UK section of the forum about renewing UK passports.
In terms of travelling to the UK, there is no advantage of having a UK passport, if you have an Irish one.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Sun May 15, 2022 2:55 pm

Travel within EU/UK - the Irish passport is definitely more favourable than the UK one.

Travel elsewhere - there are some tiny differences in terms of which countries allow either passport holders to travel visa-free and the amount of visa fees, but the differences are too insignificant.

Your UK citizenship will allow you to vote in UK referendums and the Irish citizenship allows you to vote in Irish referendums and presidential elections. However you don’t need a passport for them. Anything that can prove you are a citizen of this country suffices.

mrbojangles

Post by mrbojangles » Mon May 16, 2022 12:35 pm

Thanks both, very helpful.