ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying with Dependant - Together or Dependant afterwards

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

NYCStacey

Applying with Dependant - Together or Dependant afterwards

Post by NYCStacey » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:24 pm

I'm preparing to apply for the Tier 1 UK Visa, my question is the following.
We have a 50%-75% chance that we indeed will need to get the visa and move to the UK. I will know for certain in like 1-3 months, but cant wait that long to apply. Also I've heard people getting rejected for very silly small reasons. We have all documents ready, the only area of problem seems to be maintenance of funds because of the 7 day window given. I plan to have the bank(s) print my statements at the branch, and authenticate them (sign, stamp, or provide letter explaining they are authentic) somehow.
SO my question is:
I thought of this strategy of I applying myself only first. And then if approved, then start working on the application for my partner/dependent.
That way, we save the 600pounds for the extra application, and only loose 600 as opposed to 1200 in the case it gets rejected or we dont need it later.
The other issue I have to investigate regarding this is that all of our bank accounts are JOINT accounts, so I have to make sure that I can use these accounts as my maintenance proof for myself (first) and not for us together at the same time, although I'd use these again later for dependent proof of maintenance, there is enough for both by the way. I just need to find out how joint accounts are treated or if valid at all etc.
Has anybody applied for themselves first, and for their wife/husband later after being approved? Please share any stories or knowledge, thanks!
-Stacey

tech
Member of Standing

Post by tech » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:37 pm

You can apply together with your dependents which always works out cheaper. It appears to me you are applying in New York. Tier 1 General
is an objective process with very little room for discretion.It won't be denied if your documention/evidence is reasonable.Critical is your bank statements and paystubs for earings.For maintainence, I would recommend getting a letter from the bank separately (use the same wordings as in guidance) rather than messing around with Joint bank statements and writing big explanation letters. Educational qualifcation should be straight forward as far as American degrees concerned.If you are not sure about your documentation, there is no point in applying.

NYCStacey

Post by NYCStacey » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:43 pm

thanks for the comment. I believe I have everything in order, the only iffy part if the maintenance of funds part... i know i didnt explain it here, as i had written about it on a different topic, but here's the deal:
I am in the USA, in New York. I've been trying to deal with both Citibank and Chase Bank, but they both cannot write the letter I need, I've already explained it several times... so what they can do is, as I have explained that my mailed statements are already 7+days old when I receive them, is that they can print the statement at the branch the day after my statement closes, and then stamp/sign/authenticate it. the only hassle is that they can only do this like right after the statement closes, it's not like I can go in anytime and request a statement as of the prior date... they could print the account activity, but I'm not sure that's the same as the account statement...
so that's what I'm going to try to do... i've had everything ready for a while and now I've just been trying to figure out how to get over this 7day period for the proof of funds, it's very difficult.
any suggestions or things to watch out for?
Thanks,
Stacey

NYCStacey

Post by NYCStacey » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:46 pm

oh, and sorry, I meant to ask.
How does applying together end up being cheaper?
I just thought of applying separately, so that way if I/we get rejected, we only lose one fee rather than two. also, if for some reason in two months something happens and we dont have to go any more, we only lose one fee rather than two. and then ALSO, one of us may stay here an additional couple of months while transitioning, so I thought if need be, it wouldnt hurt if we apply for the second person only and right after the first person has been approved... can it turn out more difficult or more expensive this way?

tech
Member of Standing

Post by tech » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:31 am

Printing statements at branch and getting an bank official to stampe/sign/date to authenticate is fine as long as it appears on original bank stationery(with address, phone number, logo as it would appear in the normal statement).
Make sure all elements are present because case workers are trained to look for those and tend to reject if anything goes missing. Make a full checklist from Guidance document and go through the evidence until you can tick all the boxes.

If you prefer to apply for dependents later it is fine. You have go through same hassle shoowing maintanence funds again , process etc.
even if you dont find any cost advantage

edocohen
Newly Registered

Post by edocohen » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:16 pm

Sorry people to barge in like that, but I have a two questions.

1. Do we still need a letter from the bank if we have original bank statements?

2. Do we need a letter from the bank if we have online bank statements? and if we do what should it say?

Sorry for that but the supporting evidence for maintenance funds as they appear for dependents guidelines are not clear to me. Are the 4 clauses there accumulative or one of them will suffice?

I ended up asking more than one question, sorry for that people.

edocohen

niw2
Member of Standing

Post by niw2 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:12 pm

edocohen wrote:1. Do we still need a letter from the bank if we have original bank statements?
No.
2. Do we need a letter from the bank if we have online bank statements? and if we do what should it say?
Yes. Read the guidance notes on your local BHC website. It should state:

- the date
- your name
- your account number
- that paper statements are not automatically issued for online accounts but at your request the bank officer has produced these for you (if bank officer has printed statements for you)
- that the bank's computer system does not produce statements for online accounts on colour letterhead (if applicable)
- the current balance of your account
- the lowest balance of your account over the past 3 months
- that at the current exchange rate of XXXX, you have held 2800GBP at all times over the past 3 months

edocohen
Newly Registered

Post by edocohen » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:20 am

niw2 thanks for your help

I think I should not have barged in like that. I should have made it clear that my wife is an Israeli and she will be applying from Israel while I am here. I should probably start a new topic.