ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Are you allowed to travel abroad while you are waiting for your Irish citizenship approval?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Lxndr
Newly Registered
Ireland

Are you allowed to travel abroad while you are waiting for your Irish citizenship approval?

Post by Lxndr » Fri May 20, 2022 3:04 pm

Here are a bit more details about the status of my application:
  • * got my non-irish passport back from INIS.
    * yes, i can come back to Ireland with my non-irish passport
    * my e-vetting disclosure has been opened by INIS last month(not sure if this one is relevant to my question)
For home many days can leave Ireland if possible at all?

Thanks in advance.

james2005
Mood:
Croatia

Re: Are you allowed to travel abroad while you are waiting for your Irish citizenship approval?

Post by james2005 » Fri May 20, 2022 3:10 pm

Lxndr wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 3:04 pm
Here are a bit more details about the status of my application:
  • * got my non-irish passport back from INIS.
    * yes, i can come back to Ireland with my non-irish passport
    * my e-vetting disclosure has been opened by INIS last month(not sure if this one is relevant to my question)
For home many days can leave Ireland if possible at all?

Thanks in advance.

I believe as long as it is not more than 6 weeks in a calendar year.

jesonnn
Mood:
Ireland

Re: Are you allowed to travel abroad while you are waiting for your Irish citizenship approval?

Post by jesonnn » Fri May 20, 2022 4:02 pm

If more than 6 weeks in a year, you have to notify:
"If you are outside the State for longer than 6 weeks after you submit your application, you must notify ISD by letter or email to explain why."
https://www.irishimmigration.ie/how-to- ... alisation/

yorkshire_lad
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by yorkshire_lad » Fri May 20, 2022 5:57 pm

is it 6 weeks per calendar year or does it start from the date of your application/acknowledgement letter?

Logically speaking, the calendar year theory just doesn't sit right with me for some reason ?

Lxndr
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Lxndr » Fri May 20, 2022 6:02 pm

Can someone here post that they actually did that and got no issues with INiS. I would appreciate a lot, thanks

james2005
Mood:
Croatia

Post by james2005 » Fri May 20, 2022 6:49 pm

Lxndr wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 6:02 pm
Can someone here post that they actually did that and got no issues with INiS. I would appreciate a lot, thanks
I was away for two weeks between March and April and no issues.

Lxndr
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Lxndr » Sat May 21, 2022 4:09 pm

james2005 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 6:49 pm
Lxndr wrote:
Just double-checking: you applied for Irish citizenship some time ago. As you were waiting for your citizenship approval you went on a holiday sometime between March and April, and after that you got the approval for the irish citizenship and no questions asked about your absence from ROI.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Sun May 22, 2022 4:16 am

I don’t understand what you want people to confirm here. The rules are black-and-white. If you leave the state for more than 6 weeks in a year after applying for naturalisation, you need to inform the Citizenship team and explain the reason; otherwise you don’t need to inform them. Simple as that.

Lxndr
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Lxndr » Sun May 22, 2022 8:53 am

littlerr wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 4:16 am
I don’t understand what you want people to confirm here. The rules are black-and-white. If you leave the state for more than 6 weeks in a year after applying for naturalisation, you need to inform the Citizenship team and explain the reason; otherwise you don’t need to inform them. Simple as that.
I've asked the same question the immigration office and they gave me the most ambiguous possible answer. That's where the concern is coming from. I just don't want to make a mistake right before the finish line. Better safe than sorry.
Thanks for your imput.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Sun May 22, 2022 10:49 am

It would be unimaginable to think that 99% of migrants would not travel abroad after making a citizenship application. It would be against any kind of common sense. But yeah I get you. INIS being INIS, you can seldom get a straight answer from them.

ep00
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by ep00 » Sun May 22, 2022 11:17 am

littlerr wrote:
actually, no, it's not black and white.

e.g
- what is "a year"?
calendar year? rolling period from date of application?

- "explain the reason"
this means its completely fine to be gone more than 6 weeks, so long as you notify them?
it's only ok in extenuating circumstances?
this applies to all applications or excludes spousal?
some reasons are ok but others are not?
all on a case by case basis, but regardless you jeopardise your application by going on holiday?

there's more, but this shows it's not black and white, these statements are ill defined and telling someone who asks for clarification that it's black and white is not helpful.

id love to hear from people who have some experience with this.

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Sun May 22, 2022 5:58 pm

ep00 wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 11:17 am
littlerr wrote:
actually, no, it's not black and white.

e.g
- what is "a year"?
calendar year? rolling period from date of application?

- "explain the reason"
this means its completely fine to be gone more than 6 weeks, so long as you notify them?
it's only ok in extenuating circumstances?
this applies to all applications or excludes spousal?
some reasons are ok but others are not?
all on a case by case basis, but regardless you jeopardise your application by going on holiday?

there's more, but this shows it's not black and white, these statements are ill defined and telling someone who asks for clarification that it's black and white is not helpful.

id love to hear from people who have some experience with this.
there is no one with experience about this, everyone has their own take from this rule. Some says it's calendar year, and some says it's a year after your first stamp on your passport or after your citizenship application. INIS is really vague about this and they don't have a proper explanation.

OP or anyone else, do you want to play it safe? Don't leave Ireland even for a day. You don't want to overthink? Then leave up to 42 days in a year and stop overthinking. Or do whatever you want and leave longer than 6 weeks with or without an excuse and see what will happen.

As long as INIS or ISD doesn't make an official explanation on their website, there is no official source or reference about this.

ep00
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by ep00 » Mon May 23, 2022 11:14 am

I guess this is where anecdotal evidence comes in though right?

If people have tried it and been burned, others can learn from their lessons.

if people have notified them of longer travel and waited the X weeks/months for the reply, the rest of the community will benefit from hearing that.

we know things are worded vaguely, we know no one here really knows anything 100%, but together as a community, we can build off eachother's experience... what's wrong with that?

james2005
Mood:
Croatia

Post by james2005 » Tue May 24, 2022 10:52 am

Lxndr wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 4:09 pm
james2005 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 6:49 pm
Lxndr wrote:
Just double-checking: you applied for Irish citizenship some time ago. As you were waiting for your citizenship approval you went on a holiday sometime between March and April, and after that you got the approval for the irish citizenship and no questions asked about your absence from ROI.
No. I said: My application is still on and still waiting for approval, i asked my solicitor if i can travel and she said yes. I travelled out of Ireland for 2 weeks and it's fine.

ep00
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by ep00 » Wed May 25, 2022 7:59 pm

They state that up to 6 weeks away is fine.

I'm curious about beyond 6 weeks and what time frame that 6 weeks is calculated in.